Thread: Kuiu

Default Kuiu

I see Kuiu finally has some attack pants available to order on line in all sizes. About time! Just waiting for my guide jacket and i should be set for this year for my mid layer clothing. Decided to give their merino base layers a try as well.

my local dealer made me a sweat offer on Sitka Stormfront set, gave me 20% off retail price plus no sales tax. Runs a good business and is super accomodating, so will give him some business. I would rather support the small guys than the big chains anyway. So I will try that for my outer protective shell; hope i didn't make a mistake. i guess the new orders of sitka stuff is supposed to start coming in around june.

So what are you guys running for you primary clothing and rain gear?

I have used Sitka gear since it came out and have a set of Stormfront rain gear. It is good stuff, but not near as comfortable or quite as my set of Kuiu Chugach rain gear. The Stormfront pants are hard to climb in for me. The Chugach rain gear is simply awesome, so comfortable that I found myself wearing it over my baselayers on clear days.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Mostly Carhartts or anything good from the salvation army
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like the Kuiu Chugach rain jacket it is good stuff but the attack pant is to warm for me. It makes a great early spring and late fall pant in AK. If you don't mind not having a camo pattern look into the mammutCourmayeur pant which is not as warm but still has good wind resistance and dries way faster that the attack pant. I also like the westcomb recon cargo but it does not have a gusseted crotch like the courmayeur's which I prefer in my pants. I really like how comfortable the attack pant is but it has some downfalls IMHO. I love merino wool base layers they are amazing for 7-10 days hunts in that you can wear one shirt for 10 days and it still does not smell after sweating it up every day. The KUIU merino wool light weight top has problems with the stitching and wool its self pilling/fraying at the cuff of the long sleeve which has happened to myself and 2 other guys I know. I do like the Kuiu Spindrift although if you go with down you will get more warmth and less weight. I will also never leave home without my montbell UL thermawrap insulation pant which unfortunately has been discontinued. I use a western mountaineering highlite sleeping bag and then wear the puffy gear if the wear is cold to supplement the bag. The puffy gear is great for the hours of glassing and then I can get away with a 16 oz sleeping bag. I do not have the Chugach rain pant just because I seem to go through a pair of rain pants every year while bush-wacking to sheep country and repair with tenacious tape. I just stick with the 70 dollar pair and replace them every year.

I'll probably be buying a set of KUIU Chugach rain jacket and pants, but I don't see the point in going with KUIU for merino base layers. You can get absolutely excellent deals on merino gear by following steepandcheap.com I don't see how full price KUIU merino base layers would be any better than half-price Icebreaker base layers (among other brands).

absolutely true Brian. I don't think you need the Kuiu merino wool as a true base layer but I usually wear mine all the time as an outer layer (weather dependent of coarse) when bow hunting, so I like the camo pattern. I have tired many brands of merino wool - ibex, icebreaker, MH, minus 33, kuiu, Patagonia, and smart wool. Of all of them I think I still perfer the smart wool or ice breaker only because they come in a 150 wt shirt which is my favorite.

I like the Chugach gear... mine held up pretty well. The Attack pants are my favorite.

Their base layers are pretty unremarkable....any merino will be about the same.

My biggest gripe with the Kuiu company is their never ending supply chain issues....what you want might be in stock, might be six months.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

They would have more stock if they would do like everyone else in the industry and have their clothes made in china.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    They would have more stock if they would do like everyone else in the industry and have their clothes made in china.
    Not that I'm looking to debate this topic here...but are you saying that Americans (or Canadians in Kuiu's case) can't make an order of clothes in sufficient quantity to stock a shelf?

I find that incomprehensible. If a company wants to compete in direct sales without using distributors (who front capital for stock and provide warehousing) they'd better plan on warehousing enough stock to maintain product availability- point of origin isn't the issue, not having enough product on hand to fill orders on demand is the issue.

I like Kuiu's products and I like what they're trying to do but a business model such as theirs (JIT retail) will be tricky to pull off long term without a significant capital investment in stocking their own merchandise.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Love the Kuiu Chigach gear. First set of rain gear that's kept me dry outside and allowed some great breathability when active.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I am loving my Kuiu gear. The attack pants are awesome! I tested them out a week ago while climbing, Way more comfortable than any of my other pants. I haven't been able to test the waterproofness of the Chugach set yet, but as soon as we get some rain, I am going to be outside for a while in them. And my Guide jacket should be in the mail tomorrow.

The only problem I have with Kuiu is the time it takes to get your gear. I started buying my stuff one piece at a time in December. I can understand that the Toray material is behind due to the earthquake in Japan. But the merino wool stuff should not be as big of a problem as it is to get. Maybe they only harvest the wool under certain moon/atmospheric conditions or something.

I got tired of waiting and bought some smartwool pants and an ibex top. I still want one of the kuiu 185 tops just to maintain the camo pattern like 350bull said earlier.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Kuiu is a small company that is getting spooled up, I can only imagine the up front cost for production and inventory. Add the Japan setback and you can see the cause for delays. I have a closet full of hunting clothes and nothing comes close to the Toray material that Kuiu uses. I bought a couple pairs of the new pants to just wear around town. The merino stuff, can be had much cheaper from other sources, but the Toray clothes and their rain gear is just top shelf. I'm sure inventory and size selections will grow as the company does.

Steve
    Founding Member

Got the spindrift jacket...seems okay, we'll find out next week in Kodiak! Can't beat that price for a primaloft jacket...sure it aint as thick/bulky as Barney's or Sitka's, but primaloft doesn't require a lot of thickness to be effective and I'm not wearing the thing when its below zero...I have winter gear for that!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Wore my Spindrift Jacket all winter. Crazy warm for as light as it is.

Founding Member

looks like the guy in the background has a stika jacket on...and holy coffee cups!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I took my spindrift and attack pants last weekend on a day hunt. The pants were great and when it got to hot for the coat I was able to tuck it into a small pocket in my bag. The gear honestly couldn't have been better.

Good reponses, thanks guys. Once again ths forum provides the goods!

Seems like that kuiu gear is highly recommended. Yeah, i know i could have gotten a better deal on the merino base layers, but i'll try about anything once.

Anybody ever try the filson merino stuff? Yes its expensive, but i've found their jackets and leather stuff to be excellent. Their single tin pants are my favorite for hunting in snow.

For my puffy set, i went with the montbel UL jacket and pants as well. Seems to be a little lighter and more compact than the primoloft stuff.

Stid, in another post, you mentioned that you perfer to wear fleece bottoms rather than merino. Can you elaborate why that works better for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jab7275 View Post

For my puffy set, i went with the montbel UL jacket and pants as well. Seems to be a little lighter and more compact than the primoloft stuff.

Stid, in another post, you mentioned that you perfer to wear fleece bottoms rather than merino. Can you elaborate why that works better for you?
    I tend to be cold natured and the fleece works better for me, it also wicks moisture away and dries faster, at least to me. Many say that the Attack pants are too warm for them, but I almost always wear mid weight fleece under mine.

You are going to be happy with the Montbel stuff, I love mine and sleeping in it allows for a much lighter sleeping bag.

Founding Member

You are going to be happy with the Montbel stuff, I love mine and sleeping in it allows for a much lighter sleeping bag.

Yeah, that is why i decided to go with a Kifaru slick 20 degree bag. Wanted a synthetic bag, but something light as possible. i figured i could wear my puffy set if required if things get too cold on me. Little worried about the weather in the NWT in late August....