Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying local

Default Buying local

This is a rant, so be forewarned!

Everyone always says to buy local and support your neighbor. That's a great concept, and one I follow most of the time.

However, it's usually cheaper to buy online and the stuff comes right to your mailbox. Most online stores offer free shipping, and trip over themselves to make it right if something does go wrong.

So, if I'm spending more money and driving to a local shop it seems like I should be able to expect it to be a good experience. I recently purchased an item and bought a spare part. The item had to be special ordered, but the part was in stock. I asked when I bought it if there were different sizes, and was assured they were all the same. The item had to be ordered, and took nearly a month to come in. I paid in advance. The spare part is wrong, so I tried to exchange it. They didn't have the correct one, or the other 3 items I went for. That's ok, they can't stock everything. I asked for a refund on the spare part, and was told I could only exchange it or get a store credit. I wasn't happy, but I agreed to the credit. It took forever to fill it out because a new employee was in training. Then I had to sign, the employee had to sign. Then they were going to have to find someone to approve the return. Really? The cashier has to get approval for a $6 credit? I ended up telling them to just keep it. It was much more trouble than it was worth, especially when it was their mistake.

Sorry for the long rant, but excellent customer service is really the one thing a local shop should offer. Maybe they only depend on tourists. I don't go in and buy a lot, but I still manage to spend a couple of grand every year.

I really need ice out to get here soon now and calm me down

Good points, boiled down in my mind to "It's all about good service." If a local can't or won't provide it, they don't deserve your business or to be in business. Can them and move on to a local shop that does give good service.

Quote Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
    Sorry for the long rant, but excellent customer service is really the one thing a local shop should offer.

if you live in anchorage id recommend going and seeing mike at mossys. this is the reason i go to him everything fly fishing related. really nice guy that will help you with anything
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good points, boiled down in my mind to "It's all about good service." If a local can't or won't provide it, they don't deserve your business or to be in business. Can them and move on to a local shop that does give good service.
    You can definitely get better deals online. However, I usually buy from B&Js because they usually are great with helping me find things and providing good advice. I needed some new fly gear this year and they were able to help me tremendously compared to some of the other places when I was shopping around. But, I guess if you already know exactly what you want you could probably find the item cheaper online!

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually do buy from Mike, but he doesn't carry this particular item.

I always go to mike at mossy's he never lets me down. Im a novice fly fisherman and he is always so glad to help. Im so glad i moved back to alaska. Sorry to hear about your troubles and i hope all has since been rectified. cant wait for this weekend, mike told us that the fishing should be ok up on kenai where skilak empties so me and my buddies are heading out tomorrow. I have never fished the kenai before so its going to be an experience especially since were hitting it from the bank. Wanted to try to hit it up before the may 1 close. even if we dont catch anything it should be a good time and if its pointless were headed to clam gultch to get some razors and just have a good ol time. wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
    This is a rant, so be forewarned!

Everyone always says to buy local and support your neighbor. That's a great concept, and one I follow most of the time.

However, it's usually cheaper to buy online and the stuff comes right to your mailbox. Most online stores offer free shipping, and trip over themselves to make it right if something does go wrong.

So, if I'm spending more money and driving to a local shop it seems like I should be able to expect it to be a good experience. I recently purchased an item and bought a spare part. The item had to be special ordered, but the part was in stock. I asked when I bought it if there were different sizes, and was assured they were all the same. The item had to be ordered, and took nearly a month to come in. I paid in advance. The spare part is wrong, so I tried to exchange it. They didn't have the correct one, or the other 3 items I went for. That's ok, they can't stock everything. I asked for a refund on the spare part, and was told I could only exchange it or get a store credit. I wasn't happy, but I agreed to the credit. It took forever to fill it out because a new employee was in training. Then I had to sign, the employee had to sign. Then they were going to have to find someone to approve the return. Really? The cashier has to get approval for a $6 credit? I ended up telling them to just keep it. It was much more trouble than it was worth, especially when it was their mistake.

Sorry for the long rant, but excellent customer service is really the one thing a local shop should offer. Maybe they only depend on tourists. I don't go in and buy a lot, but I still manage to spend a couple of grand every year.

I really need ice out to get here soon now and calm me down
    Are you new to the state?

I subject my co-workers to the same rant about once a month. They are awefull down here on the peninsula too, the only reason I go in the local shops is if I really need something on short notice, I get tired of hearing its my "duty" to shop locally. If they don't figure out its their duty to provide good service they'll don't need my money.

Ive been here about 6 years.

I usually ignore the poor service, but the other shops have been good. I think this shop was a little "snooty" anyways, but the test of a good business is how they handle the problems.

I shop bargains. The "economy sucks" catch phrase hasn't changed but I don't think Alaska really falls into it. We have a good job market, fair wages and plenty of opportunity.

Alaska is certainly doing at better than many other states.

That said, I shop smart and will order out for things but also try to take my local business to the mom and pop outdoor stores before Sportsman's if needed.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Stan:
    Sorry you had a bad experience. I go to a few different local stores for outdoors gear and only had a bad experience in one fly shop in Anchorage- Never went back to that one. I have always been treated well at Mtn View Sports in any of the departments and the customer service is why I go back. The occasional sales to email customer's is always welcome too.

Don't give up on the locals- there are many fine folks with shops and I do believe we should support them if we are able to.

BEE

Look at it this way, at least you have a bunch of local stores to go to.
    I live in Yellowknife and the only real tackle shop we had in town closed 2 years ago.
    Our only source of tackle now is Walmart (tackle selection could fit in a shoebox) or Canadian Tire (better selection but no ability to order specialty items and uneducated cs reps).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    I always go to mike at mossy's he never lets me down.
    agreed, no clicky attitudes and always knowlegable, BEST flyshop Imo. i have been in wwa twice, treated like crap both times. i try to strictly buy local and other than the occational too good to pass up deal, Mossys and alaska raft and kyak keep me fishing all summer

Mossy's Fly Shop! if he does not have it, he will get it. On two occasions Mike has ordered an item that I could not get. Both times he said a week and sure enough a week later it was there.

Mike is a cool cat.

I tend to find something I can't live without every time I walk in his shop

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I tend to find something I can't live without every time I walk in his shop
    good to hear i'm not the only one with that problem
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I also have that problem!

interesting rant actually. i like the whole support local thing but as most have stated "local" has to have good service. i have to say i ordered some flys online for the first time and couldn't have been more happy with both quality and price they even sent me a handwritten letter telling me they appreciate my business and call them if absolutely anything was wrong and swift action would be taken. i saw the exact same fly i bought for 2 dollars with the same hook and material for over 5 dollars in anchorage (large saltwater/pike flys if you were wondering what kind of fly cost 5 dollars). i cant afford to support local with that kind of mark up. upside to local is good knowledge of local flys and rivers which you cant get online. some local shops i used to go into in montana would kind of turn their nose up at you if you werent fully decked out in simms gear and toting your $1000 fly rod around. times are changing i guess local better provide good service because online is becoming much better. nice to shop behind a keyboard and they have everything....totally agree that they better have excellent customer service and if any shop owners are reading this better pass that along to employees.

I buy what I can local, but will not pass up 30-50% off sales online. 3 rivers is my 'home' shop and Mossy's when I'm in the city. Mt. View to browse but only buy from them if that nice, knowledgable, and easy to look at gal is helping me.

ill never go back the shop on the east side, after I bought a decent amount on another arbor line and backing the person was still an arse. Funny I only go to Mossy's now and share the spending addiction.

even when i just stop to say hi at mossys or just to ask a question it always ends up costing me. He loves to give out free advice but i guarantee you wont leave with out buying something. **** him for having an awesome store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast