Thread: I am looking for bow shopping advise

Default I am looking for bow shopping advise

I have a girlfriend who shoots a bow , so now I plan to take up bowhunting with her. I have shot bows before, but not extensively and have never owned one. I live in Anchorage and I am hopping for some advise on what equipment to get, i.e. Where should I shop? What brand or style do you recommend? Single or dual cam compound bow? What style of release? Arrow and broadhead selection? etc...

I am sure much of this is personal preference, but I would like some general direction on where to look and what questions I need to ask before I commit to a bow. Some basic guidelines and principles would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Go down and see Bill at Backcountry archer on arctic.

Look at the mission packages that he has available. Mission is made at the Mathews factory, but you can get into a new package for much less than half the cost of a new mathews with accessories.

Bill will set the bow up for you and help you tune it....

if you like the sport you can always upgrade later.

Another good shop is Full Curl archery off of old seward and huffman. They carry so many different brands of bows you can spend all day there trying them out(Elite, Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, G5/Prime, and Mission). Great customer service and very good accessories as well. If I were to buy a bow brand new today, it'd likely be an Elite or Bowtech Insanity. But with some many good bows out there in every price range, I don't stick to one brand I buy what shoots good for me.

Without a doubt, the best thing you can do is to shoot as many bows as possible. I went through the bow buying process a couple years ago and I agonized over the decision. I shot 20+ different bows and immediately narrowed it down to four, then to two. It took me at least four more visits to finally choose one, and really it just came down to personal feel and preference. The accessories can be figured out easily enough, but again, shoot as many bows as possible. Full Curl would be my first stop, though I'd certainly check in at Backcountry as well. Stick with the small local shops, as you'll get far better advice and service than you would at a big box or online store.

Full curl is your best bet, backcountry doesn't stock much he is more into repair. Full curl has a great selection and great service. If you want to go out to Wasilla go see Wayne at Screaming Eagle, they are great there, that is who I use living in the valley. Good luck and have fun it is a great way to hunt!!

Thanks for the comments. I can't wait to go shopping this weekend.

vick-

I originally bought a Mathews. Lots of bow brands and models out there. Originally didnít know anything so let the archery shop set me up. Bow had a fall away arrow rest and sights that can adapt a rheostat. The peep sight had a rubber tube that spins the sight into alignment.

Since that purchase, Iíve made several changes to the setup:

1. Sight. In archery restricted areas, using a rheostat is a violation. My thinking was that if lead shot can't be carried on a duck hunt ... that a bow with a rheostat adaptable sight shouldn't carried in an archery restricted area. Therefore I changed the sight to one that does not accommodate a rheostat. Black Gold makes several models that have good pin brightness but are rheostat free.
    2. Rubber tube to the sight. I had nothing but trouble with the rubber tube, including the tube breaking and the peep sliding on the string. Iíve since bought a bow press, so I could adjust a string peep, by myself. The rubber tube is gone forever. Never had problems with the peep since.
    3. FOBs; They sell them at full curl archery. They do seem to stabilize the flight of my arrows w/ broadheads quite quickly. Since the bow came with a fall away rest, I didn't need to change the rest to accommodate the FOB's.

Bill at back country will set you up and order to your specs. I'm sure Full Curl can do the same; I stopped by there last week and they were very friendly and seemed to be really customer oriented. Both sell Matthews, which is my recommendation. They are the industry standard when it comes to compound bows.
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Full Curl, Mathews helium, if you want top of the line hunting bow and don't mind spending $1000 minimum, but they also have great bows fully equiped for 500-600. Would not bother with Bill at Backcountry personally but many people seem to like him. I feel he is not responsive to your individual needs or requests (does it his way) and is not very thorough when setting up a bow. Full Curl will put in the time to tune it to the exact arrows you are using. Happy hunting.

+1 for Full Curl. The husband and wife that own it are awesome. They will let you try out anything you want. They are a great shop.

Go see Bill at back country. He will take care of you along with getting you the correct draw length.

My words or 2 cents are these
    dont buy the most expensive bow at first. Just incase you don't like the or another reason.
    -single cam. Less to tune compared to dual
    - don't worry about speed. Accuracy more important
    -7 inch brace height or higher. Give you more forgiveness .

Diamondback, pse, Mathews, Hoyt, elite, these are just a few companies. Go to the different shops and look and if possible shoot them. This will help.

Inital purchase is the most expensive thing. After that is not that much, unless you keep loosing arrows
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK