Thread: Twin 4 stroke outboards one oil is very black!

Default Twin 4 stroke outboards one oil is very black!

My twin Honda 4 stroke 45 HP 1991, after changing oil, the engine that I usally use for trolling is much dirtier than the other. Runs perfect no oil use. Plugs looked normal. Is this normal? Wiring is configured to charge acceseries on one engine. Thinking about swapping it. Less than 40 hrs per season of use. Change all fluids and filters once a season. Using Honda marine 4 stroke oil.

Why do you usually use one more than the other for trolling? Sorry to side-track, I know you know your way around these things better than I; I'm just trying to learn.

And, you charge accessories on which twin engine? The trolling one, or other?

2 batteries 2 isolators. Need a simple way to charge accessories, when I wired both batterys to the hot lead on my accessory it would bypass my battery isolator. Could start second engine with isolator off, undersized wire could lead to boat fire!

So need to rethink my wiring to have a hot lead off both batteries safely. So wired it to one battery that needs to run to charge system.

Honda 35 HP alternator at idle will not keep voltage up above 12.1 volts off idle above 1500 RPM its fine.

Second battery is my reserve, the way it is wired.

With jumper cables as a back up plan.

KK, I tried to send you a PM but you're full. Still have my number? Give me a call.

Oh, and don't worry about the oil. Fourty hours isn't enough to worry about changing it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    2 batteries 2 isolators. Need a simple way to charge accessories, when I wired both batterys to the hot lead on my accessory it would bypass my battery isolator. Could start second engine with isolator off, undersized wire could lead to boat fire!

So need to rethink my wiring to have a hot lead off both batteries safely. So wired it to one battery that needs to run to charge system.

Honda 35 HP alternator at idle will not keep voltage up above 12.1 volts off idle above 1500 RPM its fine.

Second battery is my reserve, the way it is wired.

With jumper cables as a back up plan.
    What kind of "isolators" do you have? Do you have a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) or a diode type?

Personally, I wouldn't wire your accessories off both batteries. In your scenario, I would I would wire both engines to the same starting battery and all of the accessories to the other (house) battery, with an isolator or VSR between them. This way you could (accidentally) drain your house battery without affecting the starting battery, and both batteries would charge no matter which engine (or both) was running.

If you wanted more redundancy, add a third battery - one for each engine, both commonly connected to a house battery with an isolator or VSR. I prefer the VSR's, but they cost a little more.

Sounds normal to me as it is getting more use than the other.
    When I was chartering on Lake Ontario we would switch up the motor we would troll on so as not to have one motor with way more hours on it. One day we would troll on the starboard engine and the next day the port engine. We would just switch back and forth every other day. This way you end up with the hours being close on both engines as well as the wear being close to equal as well.

My mistake simple marine battery switch, I like the way its wired now for safety and the inability to draw down reserve battery.

Would like to be able to run off either battery with one motor charging both.

My marine switch simple on and off not both. http://www.civicsolar.com/product/bl...FQJdhwod0w5YcQ

Do you want a "1-2-both" type switch? I have one for you KK, and the price is right. I'll buy you a beer, if you come and get it....grin.

If I were you I would have an oil analysis done on both motors to see if one is making more metal. It would be good to do a baseline for the future anyways.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Dan will get a hold of you next week. Hoping to be out on the sound next WE