Thread: 14/221 Walker ?

Question 14/221 Walker ?

I've been wanting to build a 14 subcal rifle for awhile.Heard the 14/221 Walker plays hell on fox,lynx,and other small critters at <200yds and is pretty accurate too.Does anyone here shoot any of the 14's and have practical advice on getting started with this tiny caliber ?

My shooting buddy had one quite a few years ago, I'll see if I can get some feedback from him.

Personally my primary concern would be having a reliable source of component bullets, guns aren't very interesting when you can't get bullets for them. And if there is currently only one source for them, I'd figure out how many bullets you figure you'll need, double that and order them all up front. If youíre relying on a single source of a very specialized bullet and he either retires or passes away, odds are youíll either have a wall hanger or will have to take up the hobby of making your own bullets.
    In addition to the specialized cleaning rods, powder funnel et al, there are the ergonomics of loading such a small round. Manipulating such small bullets when seating bullets is a challenge, and then you have to get that powder through a really small dia. neck.
    To me I canít see the benefits of the round over say the 17 fireball outweigh itís challenges. The same buddy who had the 14 also had a 17-221 before it was a commercial round. I was impressed with the accuracy and utter lack of recoil. But if you just have to have something nobody else does, a 14 or 12 is definitely going to be the way to go.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Biggest problem I'm having is finding a bbl,preferably for a TC Encore.On the plus side,I've heard that Berger actually makes 14 caliber bullets but I'm thinking tweezers might come in handy for bullet seating.
    A little tiny 10gr bullet zipping along at 5000+ fps sounds like fun.The 17's weren't very common until the 17 HMR came out in the past decade or so.If renewed interest in small/subcal has grown enough to entice a mfr like Berger to make .14 bullets.I may not be totally crazy.............