Thread: Steelhead during the summer???

Default Steelhead during the summer???

I will be living in the Kenai area for the summer and was wondering if there are any steelhead around within a 45 minute drive from Kenai. I don't need any hot spots or anything but was wondering what rivers I could give a try. I know there will be plenty of salmon around but my true passion is steelhead. I understand there is some great rainbow fishing in the Upper Kenai which I am sure i'll find myself there when the season is open. However, if I could hook up with some Alaska Steelhead, that would be awesome. I will be in Alaska from May to middle of August.

Thanks a ton for any info. Feel free to P.M. me if needed.

Default Stealhead

No Steelie action on the Penninsula until October. Should be a lot of very large rainbows available on the Kenai.

AK steelies come in fall and spring (late winter) runs. Both types are spring spawners that will either die after spawning or outmigrate by May or June. They are pretty much long gone before the summer solstice.

Not aware that there are ANY true summer-run steelhead in Alaska. If there are, it would be somewhere in SE and no one is willing to talk.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I think I mighta hooked a summer run steelhead one july in Cowee creek here in Juneau it was a big fresh fish that took me downstream on my 10 wt. I had it jump once then blast off, coulda been an early silver too.

Anyway the middle keani has a bunch of steelhead sized rainbows. The first steelhead to show up on the lower pennisula start showing up in late august.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I caught a 40 incher off Angoon last July... Ocean run steelies on hootchies and flashers... very cool.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Steelhead this spring

The Kasilof has a spring run- not sure on timing.
    A lot of Kelts (overwintering steelhead returning to the Ocean) are caught in the Ninilchik river during the King salmon openings- not sure on the regs there- haven't fished it in a few years. Not sure if they have a spring run.

I'm not really sure if Deep Creek has a Spring run.

Call ADF and G in Homer for more info.

Thanks a ton for the info. Looks like i'll have to wait till next year to get into any decent steelie action. If I have time I might give it a try in early may for any drop backs. Look forward to doing battle with the kings and any rainbows i find.