Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yentna Update?

Default Yentna Update?

Has anyone been over the Yentna the last week or so and seen if it's opening up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Has anyone been over the Yentna the last week or so and seen if it's opening up yet?
    My guess is may 7 for susitna/yentna to let loose

Thats about the same as last year for the Su, and i assume the Yetna was about the same last year also. Most of the major rivers seem to be letting loose early this year, I expect the yetna will also. Bud
    Wasilla

Last year the ice went out on the Big Su on May 6 and the Yentna cleared out on the 7th.
    I didn't write down the dates for 2010 but I ran up to the 20 mile slough region on the Yentna on May 8th that year
    The only other record I have is in 1974 I and 2 friends were fishing for rainbows in Fish-Lakes above Lake Creek on May 4/5
    That was back when we had to run down the Willow to get into the big Su

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Thats about the same as last year for the Su, and i assume the Yetna was about the same last year also. Most of the major rivers seem to be letting loose early this year, I expect the yetna will also. Bud
    I suspect it will be a little earlier this year. I'm on the Alexander and the mouth is jammed with very high open water beyond the jam for a ways up river. I suspect the mouth will go out today and the rest of the ice will be down and out by next Monday which would be around the 30th of April. My neighbors at Su staition report lots of open leads and the West channel of the Su down here is filling up with water. With the warmer sunny days and this 10 to 15 mph wind from the north it is gonna go faster for sure. My guess is the Yetna will be flowing ice out into the Su by May 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I suspect it will be a little earlier this year. I'm on the Alexander and the mouth is jammed with very high open water beyond the jam for a ways up river. I suspect the mouth will go out today and the rest of the ice will be down and out by next Monday which would be around the 30th of April. My neighbors at Su staition report lots of open leads and the West channel of the Su down here is filling up with water. With the warmer sunny days and this 10 to 15 mph wind from the north it is gonna go faster for sure. My guess is the Yetna will be flowing ice out into the Su by May 2nd.
    I hope your right Alexander I'm ready to get to the cabin

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    I hope your right Alexander I'm ready to get to the cabin
    I just painted the 24' lowe and am dying to get it in too! We have the airboat in and will put a 14' with a 15hp prop in today too. We can run a few miles up the creek until the rest of the ice breaks!IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4817.jpg

Looks like the Susitna is stacking up water. Minor flooding of the campground/car park located near the Susitna Landing.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Looks like the Susitna is stacking up water. Minor flooding of the campground/car park located near the Susitna Landing.
    It's only a matter of time now!

Cant come soon enough thanks for the updates guys
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Dang! Instead of home putting mods on my boat I am stuck working in San Francisco!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Dang! Instead of home putting mods on my boat I am stuck working in San Francisco!
    That sucks I just had AKgravelpumper do the 100 hour tune up on my SJX and put the posi-nosil on cant wait to try it out.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Mouth of Alexander went out yesterday. lots of water in the west channel of the Su. wont be long now! Put the first boat in yesterday and can travel the first few miles of the creek unimpeded!

All the ice in Alexander came down this morning! The West channel of the Sue is full of water and it looks like the East channel should let loose anytime now!

http://www.deshkalanding.com/
    Looks like a bit of ice at the landing still and parking lot soft..

Ice will be out soon, very soon. Bet ya can get to your place at Su station within the week! Gonna make sure I stop by this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Ice will be out soon, very soon. Bet ya can get to your place at Su station within the week! Gonna make sure I stop by this summer!
    Good deal see ya, when you do.I,m little behind this yr getting stuff ready,Wife passed away in March .so been little busy dealing with all that. I did get the top out and treated it.Might get to motor and oil so forth this weekend.The Deshka landing meeting is around the 12th each yr, and over the yr,s i havn,t made many of them, if river open and can get the boat to it. I,m headed down stream.I used to run down right away, after break up, 1st week May.But been caught up in some ice, Heading back home Sun. that let loose up north, That Made for some spooky trips,We will have to swap a few stories there. Anyways We will see ya, couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Good deal see ya, when you do.I,m little behind this yr getting stuff ready,Wife passed away in March .so been little busy dealing with all that. I did get the top out and treated it.Might get to motor and oil so forth this weekend.The Deshka landing meeting is around the 12th each yr, and over the yr,s i havn,t made many of them, if river open and can get the boat to it. I,m headed down stream.I used to run down right away, after break up, 1st week May.But been caught up in some ice, Heading back home Sun. that let loose up north, That Made for some spooky trips,We will have to swap a few stories there. Anyways We will see ya, couple weeks.
    Very sorry to hear about your wife. Will make it a point to stop in the first time I see your at the cabin. Water is open on the west channel and all our ice here at the creek is long gone/ Water is high too! See you soon!

For anyone wanting to head up the yentna. Talked to jean today and she said that the river was starting to go but it has not fully let go yet. Also talked to Dave and all is packed tight in front of his place as well. Was hoping to get it flushed out by the weekend so we can get back to the cabin, keep my finger crossed.

It's still locked up tight this was Tuesday but I'm sure its soon
    We've made it up the Yentna but in airboats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast