Thread: Gulkana River Report

Thumbs up Gulkana River Report

Well,l this is the first report of the season and I will try my best to keep you posted as to what is going on in our neck of the woods!

The Gulkana River is running free and it is early! It appears that the ice is just rotting and going away with very few ice jams. This is good news for those of us who make out summer income on the river or just like to float it as there will be fewer sweepers and log Jams this year. In years past the river was a mess until the water drops a bunch but I am thinking even the upper sections down from Paxon Lake may be an easy trip without all of the dangers of trees in the water.

We will begin to send folks out after June 10th and I will let you know when Paxon Lake is free of ice. Remember that the outlet holds on the ice even after the lake is ice free.

Kings: Start planning as we see Kings in the river as early as June 12th some years but most years they are hitting it at a consistent rate after June 18th.

Reds: The Gulkana had a very strong and consistent run that really gets going after July 1 most years and nice Reds in the 7-9 pound range are caught clear through September.

The sun is shining and I need to get ready! See you on the river

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

May 1st update:

Well the Gulkana is ice free and flowing fast! From experience I am guessing that the water level will drop to decent levels by May 15-20th which is very early. I have been getting calls about doing early family trips and I and cautioning against it until we get a little later in May for 2 reasons. 1st. there will be very cold water to deal with and that can make for a dangerous situation. 2nd there will be sweepers in the water on most bends and until the water drops to a level that you can see and the water clears up it is just not worth the risk of damaging a raft or getting sucked under a sweeper. I have only been sucked under one sweeper ever and it was on the Gulkana. This is a scary event and sweepers kill.

Sailors Pit campground is a mess right now. There are dozens of large trees that came down last winter and the roads and camping spots are impassable. With any luck the native corp will get in there and fix that place up this summer.

I got a call from Tangle Lakes Lodge and they are open for business and they have the best gas prices around. They are offering shuttles for you guys doing the Delta and last year they charges $100 and it was a bargain!

It will not be long boys! Rafting, Canoeing and fishing season is about to happen!

See ya on the river!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals

Is there any Grayling fishing to be had from the bank yet or is it still too early?

Thanks for the update Walt I am going to go sneeeeeeeeeeeeek in a certain spot in two weeks will let you know what the upper looks like :-)

I would thing it is too fast and blown out right now.

Walt

It is but by the 20th it will be fine and low unless our current situation concerning snow melt and additional rain changes things. Outlets are a wonderful thing. NO Shawn you don't know where I am going :-) Be nice and I might share but it will cost you. (sorry) guys inside information concerning Shawn.

Moose:

If your heading out this early we expect a full report of water , Ice and Fishing conditions with Pics!

Keep us posted!

Walt
    Gulkana Rafting

Wil do will not be going in till after 18 May Argo all the way. I know I know bad.

Can't wait to raft next month! See you the 23rd Walt...

Sapper in the Skies