Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Mainer

Default Question for Mainer

as some moderators, forum members, and Mr. Strahan may already know, I've started a business called Yukon Freight Works Canoe Co., and have plans for more models next year. These aren't your average canoe, they are work boats designed for shallow water abuse, superb fuel economy, and with UHMW runners armoring the bottom.

I saw this statement in the hunting thread and was wondering if you could share a little more info with the rest of us. Do you have any pictures or drawings that you can share. Would be really interested in hearing some details of the UHMW runners that you plan for the bottom. Maybe some stats or figures of what they will be and capable of.. Any thoughts on prices that you can share..etc......
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Hello there,

I had a large volume of Pm's, emails, phone calls, and inquiries from folks on the road system heading en-route to hunting and fishing trips. I was a bit over-whelmed with it all.

We bought our domain name, built a shop, a logo, and I'm now working on my molds. Please be patient and you'll know more when the website is finished.

Here are some stats:

18 ft. model (name yet to be determined):

18 ft x 54 in.
    2.5 in. of rocker from fulcrum to bow
    1,800 lb load capacity
    Designed exclusively for the 12 hp copperhead (more power than a 15 horse outboard)

22 ft. model (name yet to be determined)

22 ft. x 60 in. wide

2,500 lb load capacity.
    Designed Exclusively for the Copperhead 18hp.

More info to be determined after further testing.

What distinguishes my boats from the rest:

Real structural fiberglass and epoxy (not matt fiberglass and polyester resin)
    No keels
    5 UHMW 2.5 in. wide runners
    UHMW straight up the bow
    White Ash everything
    Seats removable or slid according to the load. Due to the strength of the epoxy and fiberglass, I don't have to glass in keels, or seats, so this helps get loads down low where you want them (like snow machines).
    Seats webbed with mountaineering webbing. It's 1 in. wide and easier on the butt than normal strap.

If you will just mail me one I'll write a review on it.First stop Telegraph Creek
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice to see that mainer_in_ak's business is off to a big start.

It's time for mainer to become a forum sponsor.

Yip,

Forum sponsorship is in the works, but for right now, I don't technically have anything to sell. The second those molds are greased........forum sponsorship would be a great idea and has been thoroughly discussed with the owner. Upon chatting with some of the moderators and Michael S, they have all given me encouraging advice. Figured the name would be fitting due to the initial testing on the Yukon and other tributaries of the Yukon. Thanks for the blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Due to the strength of the epoxy and fiberglass, I don't have to glass in keels, or seats, so this helps get loads down low where you want them (like snow machines).
    Wow.....I don't think I've ever heard, or seen a snowmachine in a canoe before.......

Default Name Nomination

Doesn't the name for this one have to be: "Mainer" ??????

mainer in ak,

A made-in-Alaska canoe similar to a Scott, but even tougher and more capable sounds like a winner. Good luck with your new business!

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    mainer in ak,

A made-in-Alaska canoe similar to a Scott, but even tougher and more capable sounds like a winner. Good luck with your new business!
    No keels
    Structural fiberglass, (not matt fiberglass and polyester resin)
    UHMW underneath, to help slide over the nasty stuff
    And designed from the start to work with a surface drive motor.

Can anyone provide a link to any manufacturer worldwide, that is doing this?

Second question: Mainer, are you ready to receive a job offer in Canuck-ville, working for Scott? They've got to be drooling a bit over your design, preparations, progress, and future plans.

Hello there,

I had a large volume of Pm's, emails, phone calls, and inquiries from folks on the road system heading en-route to hunting and fishing trips. I was a bit over-whelmed with it all.

We bought our domain name, built a shop, a logo, and I'm now working on my molds. Please be patient and you'll know more when the website is finished.

Here are some stats:

18 ft. model (name yet to be determined):

18 ft x 54 in.
    2.5 in. of rocker from fulcrum to bow
    1,800 lb load capacity
    Designed exclusively for the 12 hp copperhead (more power than a 15 horse outboard)

22 ft. x 60 in. wide

2,500 lb load capacity.
    Designed Exclusively for the Copperhead 18hp.

More info to be determined after further testing.

What distinguishes my boats from the rest:

Real structural fiberglass and epoxy (not matt fiberglass and polyester resin)
    No keels
    5 UHMW 2.5 in. wide runners
    UHMW straight up the bow
    White Ash everything
    Seats removable or slid according to the load. Due to the strength of the epoxy and fiberglass, I don't have to glass in keels, or seats, so this helps get loads down low where you want them (like snow machines).
    Seats webbed with mountaineering webbing. It's 1 in. wide and easier on the butt than normal strap.

Presque Isle would be a good name for the 22ft model.

Presque Isle would be a good name for the 22 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by GOJOE View Post
    Presque Isle would be a good name for the 22 ft.
    "Almost an island" ????? There are larger crafts afloat that might warrant that moniker.

Couple more questions....... Can you ballpark pricing for us? Will the UHMW strips be replaceable? Do you have an idea when working models will be available?
    I have no knowledge of fiberglass.... can you explain the difference between structure fiberglass and layered glass?

One suggestion.. I'm sure that you thought of it and just didn't mention but a removable standup bar would be great.

Really happy that you are taking the plunge to go after something like this and wish you are the best of luck.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I'm very pleased to hear of local canoe construction. I've floated several ideas in my mind for several years but am too far along in life to get after it.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    "Almost an island" ????? There are larger crafts afloat that might warrant that moniker.

Presque Isle is a city in northern Maine. It was just a thought, and now you have made me feel bad for the suggestion. (LOL)

Mainah,

With your knowledge this is bound to be an awesome craft.

If I can be of any help with resin/laminate/gelcoat materials info, lemme' know.

Would love to be there when hull #1 pops out of the mold. Sounds like you're really doing it right!

I can feel a bad case of FAD comming on after reading this post. FAD = Freighter Acquisition Disorder , is it bad to have more than 1 freighter ?

Default hull-poppin' party

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Would love to be there when hull #1 pops out of the mold. Sounds like you're really doing it right!
    Hey, this sounds like a hull-poppin party. Count me in.

Mainer, champagne comes in bottles that are especially strongly reinforced. Will your newly popped out hull withstand the impact? I'm betting it will.

Default help is available for FAD

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    I can feel a bad case of FAD comming on after reading this post. FAD = Freighter Acquisition Disorder , is it bad to have more than 1 freighter ?
    Mainer will be providing some help to individuals with FAD. Just place your order for another one, and the FAD pains will lessen.... for awhile...

very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast