Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grayling flies

Default Grayling flies

This is my first year to go after grayling up here. I've fished Yellowstone National Park for them and found great success using a Renegade. What seems to work up here?

Elk hair caddis, griffins gnat, and mosquito patterns in a multitude of colors. So much fun spot fishing grayling and nailing em with dry's.

And there are a ton of other fly's that work well, but those listed are my personal favorites.

I've heard that one of the older state records for Grayling, at that time it was caught on a cigarette butt and a hook. Most places they will hit almost anything. Although there are flies that do better than some. For instance, I was out fishing Badger Slough the other night and found great success after trying various flies and an olive colored bead head nymph worked well that night. What I also love about Grayling is that they take almost any dry fly. I find throwing dries to rising Grayling to be some of the finest fishing that Alaska has to offer.

Danner nailed it. Sizes ranged from 14 up to about 10 or so. Black Gnat is also good, as is the Wooly Worm. Bivisibles too (dry). Anything small and "buggy".

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

blue dunn works well also.

A better question might be what not to bother with, frankly. Anyway, with the water still this cold skip the dries. Once it warms up a bit you'll do well with renegades here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    A better question might be what not to bother with, frankly. Anyway, with the water still this cold skip the dries. Once it warms up a bit you'll do well with renegades here, too.
    Very true, there are not too many flies they will not nail.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    blue dunn works well also.
    My choice also.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    This is my first year to go after grayling up here. I've fished Yellowstone National Park for them and found great success using a Renegade. What seems to work up here?
    Renegade is actually my fav for grayling on one particular river that needs no more mention on the forum; as I already cringe every time I see it come up.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I assume you are strictly a dry fly fishermen since everybody is recommending dries. Personally my favorite flies for grayling are probably nymph patterns. Gold ribbed hare's ear and Prince nymph are great. Of course, dry flies work too, but they are definitely not the only flies for grayling. Of course there are other times, especially when salmon are in the rivers, that egg patterns work great too. Things like glo bugs, beads, ESLs, etc. All of those patterns work great on grayling too. Another go to for grayling for me is the bead head wooly bugger. For dries, just about anything works depending on the time of year and the hatch, elk hair caddis, parachutes, mosquitoes, gnats, midge patterns, yellow humpies, royal coachman, blue dunns, you name it. Just about every dry you can think of will catch a grayling I bet. Personally my favorite is probably the elk hair caddis because and griffiths gnat because of thier high visibility and long lasting flotation. That's my two cents.

The picket pin is a favorite of mine. Kind of an elk hair caddis with peacock herl. Easy to tie up a bunch, and they seem to work equally as well as dry flies or swinging/drifting as a wet fly.

Almost anything will work in general, but when there's a hatch on you are well advised to match it. For "stupid" grayling, they can get darned picky in a hatch. We get so few bonified hatches up here, it's kinda fun to play the match-a-hatch game, too. For me that means adding some version of Adams or Blue Dunn for mayflies and Elk Hair Caddis for caddis. Sizes and colors adjusted of course.

Just to add to Bushwacks comment on non-dry flies, the Salcha Pink works really well when the salmon are coming through in the later summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Almost anything will work in general, but when there's a hatch on you are well advised to match it. For "stupid" grayling, they can get darned picky in a hatch. We get so few bonified hatches up here, it's kinda fun to play the match-a-hatch game, too. For me that means adding some version of Adams or Blue Dunn for mayflies and Elk Hair Caddis for caddis. Sizes and colors adjusted of course.
    Good call BB. I owe you some rep points and here they are!

Blue Dunns work really well.

#6 bead head olive woolly bugger fished in the middle water column

-Dan

Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos! Good luck!

Yep, blue Dunn if dry fly fishing. Bead heads work great also.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

In my limited experience with grayling (1 year), I've found that bead head nymphs work best during early season before hatches become prolific, and during morning hours when temps are still cool. Dark colors work best for me, ie. black hare's ear and PT nymphs, both with bead heads. Once the weather warms they will take anything that floats! My favorites are mosquito, elk hair caddis and yellow and red humpy patterns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast