Thread: Flying Rafts?

Question Flying Rafts?

While sitting in an airport waiting for a delayed flight, I was bored, and started reading the luggage limitations for Alaska Airlines. I discovered that for $50, they will take a checked bag of up to 100 pounds. There is also a linear inch limitation of 62" (L + W + H). For $75 the size can go up to 115". Might save some $$ getting out from ANC to Kotzebue, etc, before loading up into a Super Cub? Especially, if I hide the oars & frame inside ski-bags which aren't charged extra (HA-HA)?

Maybe taking two 12-footers as luggage, would be cheaper than shipping a single 15-footer as freight?

So, which rafts would qualify under these guidelines?

Example: will a Super Puma, advertised weight of exactly 100 pounds, roll-up tight enough to meet the size limitation.

Also, do factory weights usually include the inflatable thwarts? (which can be removed)

Thanx, Dave.

PS - also learned that on flights "inside AK", we all get three 50# bags for free, cool.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

OK, I'll ask this in a more practical way . . . .

Has anyone flown with a raft as checked baggage on an airline? What make/model/size was your raft? Which airline?

Thanx again, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

blunos,
    i had a 14 foot avon non bailer that was i think 96 lbs with 2 thwarts

Dont forget any Ak Resident with an AkAir membership should enroll in the Ak49 club for 2 free bags and discounts thereafter.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The wife and I flew a Puma (not super puma) to Situk one yr on Ak airlines. Piece of cake. Bundled up the boat, wrapped it with just the anchor rope. Bundled the frame and taped it together w the oars (in half of course). And then 2 bags of fishing gear. No extra charge. (Back when u were allowed 2 bags apiece.)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Well your in my office now!

Flying gear like Rafts into places like Kotz is pricy! Freight on AA is in excess of $1.65 a pound and higher now. I fly my gear when I need to on Everets/NAC or Lynden. Less costly and they have a good service record getting into Kotz even when the weather is bad. Plan on shipping 1-2 weeks in advance.

The high price of flying 200+ pounds up and back to Kotz from Anchorage is a beast and that is why most guys choose to rent from me. For the price of the freight you can have all of your gear needs met and not have to mess with moving the gear and hoping that it arrives on time for your hunt.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotz

Flew a Big Rig to kodiak in my flight bag and had room for 25 more lbs of gear.

When I moose hunt Kotz, just used NAC to send the raft ahead on a pallet, not a bad price, just over 1.00 per lb there and about half that on the way home. I would be afraid they may drag my raft around and put a hole in it.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    OK, I'll ask this in a more practical way . . . .

Has anyone flown with a raft as checked baggage on an airline? What make/model/size was your raft? Which airline?

Thanx again, Dave.

14.5 foot Sotar from Goo Vogt in Anchorage. He is the Sotar rep in Alaska. I fly mine up from North Carolina almost every year for either remote float trips or time on the Upper Kenai in Sept (Fishapalooza). The raft wrapped up in a tarp, in a boat bag, weighs 96 lbs. I had a custom 4 piece frame built that fits in a custom made Sotar dry bag with the custom made 3 piece Sawyer Pole Cat oars. Yea, that is right, flying with a big raft and frame 4,500 miles and then in bush planes to remote rivers requires 'custom'. Took a lot of research to get the right people to do it. Most rafters don't have to deal with such obstacles and I got many "Can't dos", and "What the ???" before I found like minded people that were willing to do the work. I fly up from NC with raft in one bag, oars and frame in the other. Slick as a hand rail in a whore house. This raft is built like a brick shet house. PM for details if needed.

Dealer: Alaska Wildwater
    Attn: Goo Vogt
    PO Box 110615
    Anchorage, AK 99511
    Phone: 1-907-345-4308
    Email: sotaralaska@yahoo.com

-Dan

Just an FYI. You can have 3 checked bags if your flight originates and stays in Alaska on Alaska Air, w/out the 49 club... Free under 50lbs....