Thread: Best time and place for Black Bears in PWS?

Question Best time and place for Black Bears in PWS?

Gonna rent a small cabin boat, launch outta Whittier, and cruise PWS for bruins.
    Just looking for general guidance. Example: "last week of May along Port Wells".

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I'd try the last week of may along port swells!

Just had to...

They should be popping out any time now - sure that some already have. What cabin are you renting? What kind of boat do you have?

The further away from whittier you get the better the hunting - or at least I am told.

Why drive all the way to Whittier? Just go to Bayshore and leave a bag of trash in the back of your truck - one will climb in with you.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Gotta choice of going the third week of May or the first week of June. Any suggestions between these two time periods?

When do the bears start "rubbing" their hides?

Also noticed that during May, we must salvage the meat, but in June we can leave it in the field. Does bear meat change in quality that fast?

Thanx again, Dave.

PS - hunting from a 26' aluminum boat with full cabin and twin engines.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Gotta choice of going the third week of May or the first week of June. Any suggestions between these two time periods?

When do the bears start "rubbing" their hides?

Also noticed that during May, we must salvage the meat, but in June we can leave it in the field. Does bear meat change in quality that fast?

Thanx again, Dave.

PS - hunting from a 26' aluminum boat with full cabin and twin engines.
    Having hunted PWS for 8 consecutive springs, I like the last 10 days, so 1st week of June, especially with the heavy snow this year.

When do they start to shed,,,,, Every year is different, but out of dozens of bears, I have only seen one or 2 that were rubbed enough to matter.

Out of all the bears I've eaten only one tasted strong and he was killed mid may. The meat is delicious.

Will be heading that way again so and I can't wait...

Be safe and have fun.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've had great luck 3rd week of May spotting them in Culross pass but they've always been high up. Doable if youre motivated.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanx everyone for the advice.

Anyone hunted south of Culross Pass? Like along Port Nellie Juan or beyond?

Thanx again, Dave.

I've hunted south of there in the fall and done well on salmon streams.
    In the spring I like to hunt up north once you get into Port Wells area, lots of grassy flats up in there.
    BK

I would pick May. Many times June is too late and they are on the sides of the mountain already. That happened to me and the wife last year, but there is more snow this year.

It is always a gamble, but I would choose May.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

So in spring head north to port wells area? Oooor head down towards knight island? Thats the question that is eating me alive.

Head to the areas where there is snow close to the base of the hills with occassional clear patches on the hills. The less snow the higher the bears go, the more snow the closer to the beach they are. Not a hard and fast rule but a good one to go by.
    If the hills are pretty clear in the north areas head south where they don't get as much sun.
    It's all about the timing

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    So in spring head north to port wells area? Oooor head down towards knight island? Thats the question that is eating me alive.
    Can't go wrong with either area. My suggestion would be to pick an area and concentrate on the available food sources, especially during the afternoon and evening, but don't overlook first light, especially if it coincides with low tide. There are lots of bears in the Sound. I've hunted in April and in June, but do most of my hunting in May. In June, the bears seem to be up higher in the slides and below the snow line, which means climbing. Getting an 8 footer isn't as easy as it used to be. I think the hunting pressure in the Sound has caused larger bears to become fewer and smarter. Good luck to you!