Thread: New Bow!

Default New Bow!

Thanks to all of you that offered suggestions for buying a bow. The advice to head out to Fletchers in Wasilla turned out to be really good advice. Amy treated me really well and had endless patience for my stream of questions.

I ended up with a 60# Mission X3 set up with a Trophy Ridge Dropzone rest, Impact Hammerhead 3-pin sight with level, Sims modular stabilizer, wrist strap, Scott Short-n-Sweet release, and 1/2 dozen Beeman ICS Hunter 400's with 100gr field points. Before I left the store, I was shooting 2-3" groups on their 20 yard range. Needless to say, I had a good time at Fletchers.

I look forward to getting practiced up to take the ADF&G bowhunters course.

F&G shoot is easy as long as you can estimate range. Get out doors and start eyeballing distances. Even better to guess, shoot, then pace it off. Loosing arrows is a strong motivator for becoming good at guessing distances!

You will enjoy that bow.. Fletchers is a great place.

"I look forward to getting practiced up to take the ADF&G bowhunters course."

On that I teach and cert people for the bowhnters course. I will say two reason that people fail are
    Not practicing
    And being to nervous.

Most people will fail either on the first target or the last.

First target is not far, but being to nervous kills people.

Last target is the bear shooting down hill. People don't practice this and they fail.

If you have a range finder you can bring it to the course.

Rabbit creek does have some 3-d target out there that you can come on down and shoot for $6. then put your bow up and shoot your gun. Once price covers all.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the tips, guys. Is there any place in town that offers shooting like I'll find on the certification course; ie. downhill shots?

Gary, I am an annual member of the Rabbit Creek range, so you will probably see me down there sometime soon.

Thumbs up Fletchers

Got my '05 Switchback from Fletchers! I drove all the way from Fairbanks to wasilla to get it, he even stayed open late for me. Great people and great service! he introduced me to the trophy ridge drop away rest, didn't have to paper tune at all. He does however likes to show you the latest and the greatest, and you'll always end up throwing down more frog skins to buy extras for that new bow...hehehe.........K

If they carry Hoyt bows, then I'll buy mine from there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If they carry Hoyt bows, then I'll buy mine from there this year.
    Yup! They carry Hoyt.

If I'm not mistaken next sunday the Cook Inlet archery club will be having their outdoor 3d shoot in Chugiak. Seems like they set up 20 animals all at different yardages and elevations. I think it was $20 for a full day = 2 rounds and it included hotdogs, burgers, chips, drinks, etc. Kids shot for free. I am sure someone can clarify if I made any mistakes. Otherwise call Fletchers, they will know.

I gotta start writing this stuff down but again if I'm not mistaken there will be a Spring Bear Archery Shoot put on by Fletchers in the valley on the weekend of April 21&22. This will also be a 3d outdoor shoot with some long yardage shots.

Matt, yes he sells Hoyt..and if your buying a Hoyt?...why settle for less when you can buy the BEST...Mathews!....(I used to shoot a Hoyt, until I picked up a Mathews) hehehe....................K

Fletchers has always done me right..And yes the do carry the H bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Matt, yes he sells Hoyt..and if your buying a Hoyt?...why settle for less when you can buy the BEST...Mathews!....(I used to shoot a Hoyt, until I picked up a Mathews) hehehe....................K

If this had been archery talk ..That kind of comment would haver started ww3

Bought my bow from Fletchers to great shop.

Default bow cert course

if you can shoot the archery course at rabbit creek well then passing the bow class will be a snap. Practice and more practice. I only missed one shot, and it was deflected from a branch half way to the target i didn't see. Keep an eye out for all possible gotchas like that!! and don't worry, those guys are good down there. It was a WINDY day when we shot, and they set the course up really well, it was VERY fair!

I second fletchers in wasilla, awesome place, excellent people!

Now all you have to do is get some blood on it...hehehe.... of course after your IBEP course...have fun!

Default New Vectrix!!!

I just bought a new Vectrix at Fletchers. Shot the Vectrix first, Matthews S/B second. Liked the Hoyt. Truly amazing. The girls were very friendly and helpful. A little pricy, could pick it up for $150 - 200 cheaper on-line but what the heck, it's only money. Will probably get my wife a Selena in a week or so. Anxious to get the Vectrix set up and slingin arrows. The course for certification was not difficult at all, and the longest shot was I think like 26 yds. You can use a range finder. My wife is short and shoots left handed. The "guys" who set up the course are tall and right handed, they need to take that into account when setting targets. A couple of the targets she could barely see and would not take that shot, but she had too. Not a complaint really, just something to think about.

Default Local shops

Here's the way I look at it. You could buy a bow and all the goodies online and save a few bucks. Nobody will dispute that. But you will have to assembly it, sight it in and tune it yourself. No problem, but then something goes wrong and now who do you turn too? To me its worth a few bucks more to know that at any time I can walk in to my local shop and know that I will be taken care of. Its as simple as that. Just my .02