Thread: Rem 870 vs. Ben Nova 12g

Thumbs up Rem 870 vs. Ben Nova 12g

what are your opinions? i am looking for a new shotgun for waterfowl hunting

If you do a search you will see that this has been hashed out about 100 times. That said, my first repeating shotgun was an 870 so I am partial to them. The only more reliable gun I have ever owned was a break action single shot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

go to the store. mount each one. what ever one feels better get.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I have never shot the Benelli, but I love my 870. It is the most popular shotgun out there, and parts and mods are easy to find. There are certainly better/more expensive guns out there, but you can't really go wrong with it, and I have never heard anything negative about it.

Had both the 870 in Louisiana and the Nova up here and in my opinion-- You can not beat the old 870.
    Just traded the Nova for an AK SAIGA, for my raft gun and also had a blast with her on wood ducks down south!!
    Just my thoughts.
    Goo

i should have mentioned earlier that i am familiar with the 870, but i am looking for your opinions between the two

I'll run counter to the 870 guys... I've had a couple Novas and like them a lot. Certainly not the aftermarket parts for them like a 500 or 870 but it'll do what you need.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I will take my Nova and super nova over my sons 870 any day. The 870 doesn't cycle as smooth and feels a bit narrow in the stock. The super nova feels great and never jammed or had a hard time racking a shot. I also like the option to have a full tube and be able to cycle the live round out of the chamber unlike the 870, you will cycle the round from the chamber and dump the one that tried to load into the chamber. The super nova shoots easier than the nova. It has a different stock. I even have a mercury swith in the nova and don't like the recoil. I use it as a bear and boat gun anyways.