Thread: .22 ammunition

Default .22 ammunition

I'm looking for advice on a premium 10-22 LR bullet that has performed well for you on small game.
    Thanks.

Luke

My dear friend, you can kill small game with a slingshot and a rock. Any rifle ammo by its very nature no matter the quality will be more than enough for a 10-20 yard shot.

Unless you are pegging hares at 90 yards, well than. You are a better man than I.

I've had exceptionally good results from CCI Velocitor. Lots and lots of dead hares from a Kimber 22 and those.

Almost any .22 ammo will work, some will work better.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I shoot a lot (and I mean a lot) of CCI Blazer ammo in both of my 10/22 rifles. They are dependable and accurate in my rifles while killing ptarmigan, hares and such quite reliably.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

mini-mag HP

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I shoot a lot (and I mean a lot) of CCI Blazer ammo in both of my 10/22 rifles. They are dependable and accurate in my rifles while killing ptarmigan, hares and such quite reliably.

+1 on that.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by spruceGoose View Post
    My dear friend, you can kill small game with a slingshot and a rock. Any rifle ammo by its very nature no matter the quality will be more than enough for a 10-20 yard shot.

Unless you are pegging hares at 90 yards, well than. You are a better man than I.
    Gotta agree here,I shoot suppressed with CCI 40gr subsonics in a 16" bbl 10/22 and have killed plenty of critters with it to attest to this,wewwy,wewwy quiet too !!!

Go get several different of the bulk pack 22 ammo and see which one shoots most accurately in your 22. I have never had any problem killing anything I have hit with a 22 including a couple of red fox. A couple that I like are the Peters and the Blazer. Both are plain lead bullets but shoot well for me with misfires being rare. I don't buy premium 22 rounds as I can shoot my 22KH or my 25/20 cheaper using cast bullets with a lot more whap.

Like everyone has stated, there are many choices and they will all work well for the most part. Try several brands and settle on one that is consistanlty accurate in your set up. I have a tendency to lean toward the win and rem std velocity 40 grain target loads, as they have performed well for me in many different guns.....

I can see your concerns though as a wounded charging wabbit is no laughing matter!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

www.rimfirecentral.com for a definitive discussion of .22 LR ammo.

I have found standard velocity, round-nosed .22 to be far less destructive than HP's or hi-velocity stuff. Cheapo, low-end ammo may work for you, but you get what you pay for. I found the ammo made in Mexico in the bright yellow/blue boxes patterned rather than grouped at +30* F. Winchester Wildcat was not accurate at all. The best is Eley Match, but it is spendy.

Even with crappy ammo, you can shoot well with a good barrel. If have a Kidd with Kidd trigger-group, and CPC bluebprinted bolt and bedded action. I can get dime-sized groups at 50 yards with standard plastic green-box Remington .22 LR.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I've shot just about everything out there from Shorts to Stingers for 40 years. IMHO, I buy what ever is cheapest and comes on sale. It all kills any small game from point blank to 30 yards or so. Thats all most of us really need. Unless your shooting competition, At those ranges, its not the round, its the shooter if you can't kill what your aiming at. I don't see a real reason to spend the extra money on premium ammo. I do only fire stingers out of two extra small CCW .22. Its not for accuracy reasons, its for velocity only as they are 1600 FPS vs 1100-1200 and at 2-8 feet every ounce of energy matters.

You use whatever shoots best in your gun without failures to feed. Thus, SWMBOs SIG 522 gets the bags of mixed bulk or the cheap bulk pack, she just blasts and that gun eats everything. My HS gets Fiocchi SM in the summer and Lapua in the winter since SM doesnt feed all that well in winter...too bad its a lot cheaper. My CZ shoots Polar Biathalon best but next is just std velocity Fiocchi, with either of those I can get lucky and whack shotgun shells at 100 yards. My S&W 18 gets fed whatever is left over

I had Clark Custom make me up a 10/22 years back and tried all sorts of ammo. My best group came from CCI Blazers ironically though SK standard plus was more consistent and just as good for way more money. In fact I still have some I made up with the Paco Kelly accuriser/nasti-nose tool. Some of the expensive stuff like green tag sucked in my rig. The Federal bulk load worked fine though and was fairly accurate surprisingly.

I don't know how much difference it makes as many have said at 22 velocities, but I like the Paco Kelly Nasti-nose bullet a lot. Of course it's not for the squeamish (as you have to form them yourself with a hammer). More on the tool:
    http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Thanks for the responses. Awesome hooter season this year but I haven't always been real happy with my bullets so I appreciate your thoughts.

Luke

.22's can be fussy about what they like. I have had the best success with standard velocity rounds, so try a few brands to see what your gun likes. I only shoot grouse or ptarmigan and do not use hollow points for that. I want five shot groups from a bench that can be covered with a nickle at 25 yards. A realistic maximum range for me an my old browning T Bolt.