Thread: 22 ammunition

Default 22 ammunition

Anyone want to share a premium 10-22 LR bullet they think has performed well on small game?
    Thanks.

Luke

I let the individual rifle choose. I'm not too worried about HP or not, hyper or subsonic, match or cheap. If a rifle has a pet, that's what I shoot. Small game doesn't seem to notice the difference. With half a dozen 22's including a couple of 10-22's, I stock 4 different varieties for the rifles, but use them interchangeably on game without noticeable differences on impact. For me it's all about accuracy.

i didnt know it would ever matter when shootin a 22...

I didn't like what Federal and CCI hollow points did to rabbits that I didn't get a good head shot on so I have been using CCI Mini-Mags cause they are the only non-hollow points I could find. They do great and generally pass through if I accidentally gut shoot one without tearing things up too bad.

My savage over/under and fiances 10/22 shoot them great.

Same thread in Shooting Forum

At the ranges most people use their 22s at, I doubt most people could tell the difference between cheap and match grade ammo. Maybe if you put a scope on it and shoot past 50 yards you could tell the difference but that is pushing the effective range of the round anyway. Most of my shots are with open sights at less than 50 feet with the longest probably 40 yards, and they all die just the same. I shoot CCI Blazer and Winchester ammo through both my Marlin bolt action and Rossi single shot. Whatever is on sale at the time, but I usually buy the CCI's. The animals and cans haven't been able to feel the difference.

I prefer the standard velocity 40-grain lead tips, particularly the Federal Champion ammo in the blue box. It's the most accurate ammo I've found for both my Henry lever gun and 10/22. They give me complete penetration, minimal damage, and dead animals. This thread reminds me of the time I tried CCI Stingers on Pennsylvania gray and fox squirrels one year back in the 80s. After the fourth squirrel or so, I knew I had to stop. Even clean head shots were destroying large portions of the front half the animal! I also mangled a couple ruffies. While good for stopping fat wood chucks, they were overkill on smaller animals. To this day I've stuck to straight lead tips, and even avoid standard hollow points except for plinking with my boys.

I don't know how much difference it makes, but I like the Paco Kelly Nasti-nose bullet a lot. Of course it's not for the sqeamish.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

CCI SGB's are my preferred load.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Raingull
    That makes a lot of sense. I have noticed lots of unnecessary damage from hyper velo rounds..
    Do you have the die set?

I did, but when I traded that rifle off to a guy in Oregon for a ton of Snap-on tools new in packaging, I sent it along too. Been meaning to get another but I still have some reformed rounds from years back. It does make you whince the first time you take a mallet to a 22 round, or rather to the punch. I haven't ever heard of any problems though. I just made a rig with a mallet where I could raise the mallet to varying heights (and let it drop) to get the effect I wanted. Lots of satisfied customers though for 22lr it's pricey (though comparitively less so than when you could get the 550rd Federal Bulk Pack for $8 all day every day).

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been having a really good hooter season but have been disappointed multiple times with my bullet performance and appreciate your educated opinions.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I don't know how much difference it makes, but I like the Paco Kelly Nasti-nose bullet a lot. Of course it's not for the sqeamish.
    Big plus 1!!!

I have been using it for years and it does work. I put the tool on top of a piece of belt leather so the primer is on something soft and use a 1 lb "no bounce" plastic hammer and have never had a problem. In my CZ 452 American the groups went from about 1" at 50 yds to 1/2" to 5/8" with Aguila subsonic HP and with a 6x scope you can pick which eye you want to hit. I'm totally sold on them for hunting...head shots all the way because they will tear up some meat. I shot a coon a couple days ago and it blew the whole side of the head out...DRT!! I don't suggest them for body shots where you want meat or hide but they do tighten up the groups.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Another nice thing about it, is that you can control how much forming you want. So you can pick how much expansion you want by how much your reform with the Nasti-nose (though the accurizer would still be fully implemented for accuracy but wouldn't affect expansion).

Aguila supermaximums if you want a hollowpoint that is super fast. 1750 fps. just dont gut shot anything. You will destroy it. shot a rabbit with one as soon as it started to hop and kaboom. rabbit crap in all the meat. Also if you use a scope and sight it in with a certain ammo, use that ammo only. i mixed my ammo at the range and noticed they all shoot different just like large calibers. i never paid attention to that till i thought my scope was outta wack.