Thread: I am in need a good Ship Creek Valley map

Default I am in need a good Ship Creek Valley map

I would like to know if there are any good maps or a place to get a good map of Ship Creek Valley showing what is Military land and the park area. Basically a map showing what the legal hunting area for black bear is coming in from Hiland road.

Give the UAA library a try. They have the ARLIS (Alaska State Resource Inventory System) that has the ultimate USGS map section if you can have the front desk guy show you how to find what you're looking for. Anyone can go in and look at the maps. Bring a flash drive and you could use the scanners that take a high res picture and download it to your flash drive. It's a little hidden gem that hunters should use more often. I'm at the UAA so if you want to meet and have someone show you how to use it, PM me.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default free map data

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    I would like to know if there are any good maps or a place to get a good map of Ship Creek Valley showing what is Military land and the park area. Basically a map showing what the legal hunting area for black bear is coming in from Hiland road.
    You could probably find some great info online here:
    http://free-gis-data.blogspot.com/20...ap-server.html

check with your S-2 they can get you maps I had maps of that whole area when I was stationed there.

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate it.
    Sluicebox I have the Q701S edition 004 but it doesn't give the detailed info I am looking for.
    My hunting buddy had a map last year before he PCS'd that showed where the military land ended on the Eagle River side of Ship Creek which looked to be about 100 yards from the waters edge using the legends and scales.
    Will definately check into the UUA Arlis system. Might even look you up highestview.
    FamMan checking that out now.

Last time I was hunting in that area I built and printed the map I needed at REI. I then markered in the boundries from the military issued map. It looks like the military boundry runs almost directly North/South right across the ski area. I did the moose hunt back there a couple of years ago if I remember correctly the trail that runs between Alpenglow and Ship Creek crosses that boundry line directly behind the ski lift (south). I also parked at the end of Hiland and walked over the mountain. That was not fun in the snow, but you cross over the pass you are well out of the military boundry.

Bet your ol' buddy SkinnyD could be talked into producing something halfway decent for you if you only need a reference map. I'll send you a PDF if you'll PM me a good email address.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'll send you a PDF if you'll PM me a good email address.
    Feeling generous today (and feeling a bit of resentment toward the military for hoarding land and boundary information), I have decided to share my map with you and everyone else.

Untitled.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I have a base map that is huge I would let you look at and everything not on it is PARK land. Simple I am on base. PM Me.

I think the OP is on post as well. Unfortunately the military map ends 2KM to the East of the boundry, so it doesn't show the end of Hiland RD. If you look at Skinny D's map above, you can travel SW over the mountain pass from Hiland all the way to the (Ship) creek valley and still be one to two KM outside the military boundry and the further you travel SE down the creek the more distance you create for yourself. I don't have a very fancy GPS, but I just put in a couple of MGRS waypoints along that boundry line and it created a visual for me to know when I was safe.

Have you looked at the Chugach State Park map? You can pick it up at REI or the USGS Map store.

I am on post and I have the military map and as Ryan stated the map doesn't cover the area not to mention the no hunting parks area I am requesting for the most part. The map is edition 004 series Q701S. I will be going to REI or UAA and come up with something.
    I was in there last summer with a buddy and man you can break your backside off without even trying lol.
    I am determined to figure this out one way or the other.
    Thanks for any and all info given so far.