Thread: Homer Fishing Report

Default Homer Fishing Report

For those that are interested. I went out to one of my favorite halibut holes today and if there were any halibut to be had the cod wouldn't let them grab my bait. I don't think I went more than 30 seconds at any time without hooking into a cod. So if you like cod there are plenty to be had out there.

And the king fishing off the Bluffs was relatively good today. I hooked and released one that looked to be about 15 lbs. after around 45 minutes of trolling. A little over an hour later I hooked into another one that I decided to keep because it looked as though it had swallowed the hook. It weighed in on my scale at 15 lbs. FISH ON!
    IMG_4066.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Nice fish Dave! It looks like another year of Cod. we had a tough time halibut fishing some spots they were so thick. The ones we caught were ugly looking fish with lots of sores and such.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Nice fish Dave! It looks like another year of Cod. we had a tough time halibut fishing some spots they were so thick. The ones we caught were ugly looking fish with lots of sores and such.
    Thanks! It was a real fighter, too.

I was actually tempted to keep a couple of the cod I caught. One of them was probably one of the biggest cod I have ever caught. I really thought it was a halibut until I got it to the surface. And very clean, too.

how far out were you for the cod?
    i would actually love the numbers, i far prefer cod to halibut, and it freezes better too.

oh, and your PM box is full.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i would actually love the numbers, i far prefer cod to halibut, and it freezes better too.

About 4 or 5 miles out from the Bluffs. I was there at low tide and it was about 140 ft. on my depthfinder.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've cleaned out my old messages. Plenty of space now.

Couldn't agree more! Any chance you might share what you look for when specifically targeting cod? Bottom features, depth or ???

We had the same problem Mutt did with the cod last weekend and could have filled the fish hold in an hour or so. We managed a few halibut in between all the cod but nothing to brag about. The cod were as big as I've ever seen and they were all clean. Caught them out near Port Graham and on the Homer side of Pogi Pt. We kept and cooked up a few of the cod and they were delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Couldn't agree more! Any chance you might share what you look for when specifically targeting cod? Bottom features, depth or ???
    I personally don't ever target them (homerdave might and might be able to answer your question), but I think right now you could just go out in the middle of K-Bay and drop some bait to the bottom and pick up more cod than you'd want to spend the time filleting. If you don't find them within about 5 minutes of dropping your line then move about a half mile and you'll probably find them there.

Thanks for the feedback on the Cod, i've got a 16' river runner coming up first part of May and I plan on fishing K-bay on good days but I don't plan on going very far, you guys ever catch them closer in to the spit or on the east side of the spit?

When I'm camping on the spit I take my girls to the end and fish for cod there. The kids loving pulling in the cod. I think Mutt is right--just about wherever you drop a line, you should start pulling in cod. Nothing like a good clean fresh cod combined with some spuds for dynamite fish and chips!

Thanks for the feedback on the Cod, i've got a 16' river runner coming up first part of May and I plan on fishing K-bay on good days but I don't plan on going very far, you guys ever catch them closer in to the spit or on the east side of the spit?
    It's hard to say because I very rarely fish any closer than where I was the other day. When I do it's for kings and you don't run into cod that much. And the only time I fish east of the Spit is for kings, too, and that's along the shore on the south side, where, once again, you're not that likely to run into cod as much. A LOT of pollock at times, but it varies.

By the way, I used to have a 16' River Runner and if I knew the weather forecast was good I wouldn't hesitate to go out 10 or 15 miles from the end of the Spit. I wouldn't want to suggest to someone that isn't comfortable going out that far to just do it, but if you know the seas and the weather around here it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    It's hard to say because I very rarely fish any closer than where I was the other day. When I do it's for kings and you don't run into cod that much. And the only time I fish east of the Spit is for kings, too, and that's along the shore on the south side, where, once again, you're not that likely to run into cod as much. A LOT of pollock at times, but it varies.

By the way, I used to have a 16' River Runner and if I knew the weather forecast was good I wouldn't hesitate to go out 10 or 15 miles from the end of the Spit. I wouldn't want to suggest to someone that isn't comfortable going out that far to just do it, but if you know the seas and the weather around here it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    Thanks, I appreciate your input on the boat as well.

I used to fish out of the mouth of the columbia and the straits in north Puget Sound in a 16' ski boat, as you said on really good days, listening intently to the radio. I definately bought the boat for the Kenai but I figured I'd try and venture out on the salt every now and then. I'll be putting a brand new honda on it and a 2 year old honda kicker so once I get a few hours on the main i'll be pretty comfortable with the equipment.

Thanks, I appreciate your input on the boat as well.

I used to fish out of the mouth of the columbia and the straits in north Puget Sound in a 16' ski boat, as you said on really good days, listening intently to the radio. I definately bought the boat for the Kenai but I figured I'd try and venture out on the salt every now and then. I'll be putting a brand new honda on it and a 2 year old honda kicker so once I get a few hours on the main i'll be pretty comfortable with the equipment.
    Great Kenai boat as well! I had a 50/35 (with the de-tune kit) horse Yamaha on mine and put a lot of nice kings in that boat on that river. After many years of fighting guides I just started fishing the salt all the time. If you're ever down this way and you see the Pretty Penny give me a shout on VHF 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Great Kenai boat as well! I had a 50/35 (with the de-tune kit) horse Yamaha on mine and put a lot of nice kings in that boat on that river. After many years of fighting guides I just started fishing the salt all the time. If you're ever down this way and you see the Pretty Penny give me a shout on VHF 16.
    Truth be told I bought the boat for better access to Pinks, Silvers and Trout, I'll fish the Kings too but only when nothing else is around! Call me odd but I'll trade catching 20 pinks for 1 30lb. king.

We'll give you a shout!

Truth be told I bought the boat for better access to Pinks, Silvers and Trout, I'll fish the Kings too but only when nothing else is around! Call me odd but I'll trade catching 20 pinks for 1 30lb. king.

We'll give you a shout!
    Yeah, I only mentioned kings because that's my favorite, but I fished that river in my River Runner from early June until late Sept. and spent many a day huddled under the canopy wrapped in about 5 layers of rain gear and warmth waiting for a coho to grab my bait. I have to stop talking about fish because it's making me want to go chase kings instead of doing the chores I need to do today.