Thread: canoe and motor

Default canoe and motor

looking at purchasing a 14' canoe and planning on putting an electric motor on it... figure bigger=better... cant beat that logic right? anyway my question would be does anyone have any experience with such a boat and lets say 50lb thrust motor?

I can't equate thrust to horse power but that is a very small canoe to put much power on....Are you going to have two people in this canoe?
    Perhaps a Honda 1.5 hp!

we have a 40 thrust that I have put on our 16 foot canoe on occasion and it scoots right along, to fast almost in 5th, and if your trolling or just cursing around 2nd or 3rd or so it isn't having to work very hard and your battery lasts for ever. our 40 thrust pushes out 16 foot aluminum boat fast enough that 2nd gear is prefect for trolling and 5th brings the front up (not out of the water but it rocks ya back good). with one person in the middle and one in the back
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

In my experience anything with 30+lbs of thrust should work fine. I can tell you that 9.9hp is way to much for a 16' Coleman scanoe

I have an electric for my Scott Albany (lots bigger than your canoe). My electric is very old, but it scoots along pretty well, even with a load. When I use that, I bring two marine batteries, plus a cheap little digital tester that lets me know how much juice remains. My rig is too big to paddle.

awsome... sounds like the general idea is buy the motor with the most thrust that i can find.... will do .... glad you all could confirm this for me

ps... i fully intended on taking only advice that suggested i do such

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    You bet. Mo' power!

(and mo' battery)

I think a twin rig would be even better X2
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think a twin rig would be even better X2
    oh my... yes! this thought had not crossed my mind until you mentioned it... but then why stop at two... could probably fit a third up front

In that case I would suggest going with a Minnkota Vantage with 101lbs of thrust. I'm sure you will be pleased.

Default big electric

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    In that case I would suggest going with a Minnkota Vantage with 101lbs of thrust. I'm sure you will be pleased.
    Like Ford has their Eddie Bauer edition, I guess that Vantage would be Minnkota's "Tim Allen Edition". That would be really cool to have one of those on the back of my big canoe.

so i found a coupon for 20% off my canoe... so with the money saved there i most definatly will get the 55lb thrust motor...

i was at sentry in north pole today and saw a down rigger ment to be used on a canoe or other small craft... anyone ever used this? would i be better off just getting a couple of those diving boards?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    In my experience anything with 30+lbs of thrust should work fine. I can tell you that 9.9hp is way to much for a 16' Coleman scanoe

a buddy at work is turning his 16' scanoe into an airboat.... i will update with pics when/if he completes the project

a buddy at work is turning his 16' scanoe into an airboat.... i will update with pics when/if he completes the project
    Make sure to get a "before" picture. Just in case the "after" picture looks a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Make sure to get a "before" picture. Just in case the "after" picture looks a bit different.
    Ha Ha. Getting my own air canoe ready. should try it next week. I'll post pics
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com