Thread: New 358 Norma Mag

Default New 358 Norma Mag

I've posted a few times recently re. 358NM loads, barrel twist etc.
    Heres the rifle.
    A fine fellow and good friend here recently gifted me this Voere Cougar in 308 NM.
    To make a long story short, said fine fellow is a long time buddy with Aussie ex-pat barrel making legend Bevan King.
    He was able to convince Bevan to take on the re-barrel (ok, it didn't take much convincing as Bevan is a .35 cal afficianado).
    This is the result.

P1020198.jpg
    Its a beauty, and will certainly always have a special place in the safe given who gave it to me, and the spirit in which it was given.
    Besides being tools, I have always found old rifles are even more interesting if they have a good story behind them.
    Now it just needs a good recoil pad
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK, BUT, is it a 358 Norma, or a 308 Norma? You mention both.

It's a fine lookin rifle from what I can see. I like the stock design. I can see a Comb, and there's probably a Cheek Piece on the other side.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A new NORMA??? Is she belted as the old .308 and .358??? Or like the unbelted newer .338 sniper round??
    How long are the case's? my .308 norma shoots great out of 20" Douglas #1--- and medium action what would be the best twist on a 300 gr.Barnes ?? NORMA 205 powder or the mag. powder? What changes!!! Am very interested and appreciate any information.
    Goo

Sorry gents.
    To clarify, it used to be a 308 NM, rebarreled to 358 NM. "New" barrel and new to me.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Beautiful rifle and the NORMA .358 is my favorite all-round cal. Is that an old FAGEN stock? Have one that looks just like her on my 03-A3, 25-06 i built back in 1966?
    And does anyone know why NORMA went to a non-belted case on their .338 long range shooter?
    Thanks,
    Goo

The belt is not needed on a round that has a reasonable shoulder and it takes up magazine space and can cause feeding problems. So why put it there? The 358N is an outstanding round with bullets available from 110gr through 300gr. Mine with 24" barrel shoots 250s at 2880. You're supposed to get 2650 with a 300gr but I haven't tried them.

Nice rifle. What length barrel?

Thanks for the belt info-- wonder why it took so long to figure that out? Considering my .308N, .338W,.358N, .458W, 7mmR, .30- belted newton all were as such. Noticed the .338 Lapua did not as well as the .338N.
    Thought it was just something from the new powers now available.
    Thanks for the information.
    Goo

The tang safety Voere is sure a nice setup and in my favorite caliber to boot! Real nice rifle. Thanks for sharing.

The belt first came out with the 375H&H which needs it to headspace. Then came the 300H&H which also needs a belt. Most magnum cases up until a few years ago were made from one of those two parent cases and they just didn't bother to remove it or it looked cool or some such. Some cases such as the 458Win and 458Lott still need the belt for head space but most of the rounds made from the 375H&H case could have the belt trimmed off without ill affect. IMO the belt thing is a bunch of noise over nothing. Just load as if it didn't exist. Nice gun by the way.

Congrats on a nice rifle that means something to you, and enjoy shooting the "Big Swede"
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

24" barrel, 1:14.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

And, don't forget to try 67.5 gr of IMR4895 with 250s!

Ted

Nice indeed, what an absolute thumper the 358 Norma mag is, great pickup and I love the 358 Norma mag, just an awesome round.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm new to this forum, but have had a 358N for about 20 years now. It started as a Remington "Classic" in 35 Whelen that a local gunsmith rechambered and altered the bolt face. Love the rifle. I mean the world would be a boring place if everybody shot an '06

WSF, welcome to the forum
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by WSF View Post
    I'm new to this forum, but have had a 358N for about 20 years now. It started as a Remington "Classic" in 35 Whelen that a local gunsmith rechambered and altered the bolt face. Love the rifle. I mean the world would be a boring place if everybody shot an '06
    This sounded like such a good idea I took my son's 35 whelen classic to the smith today. I've always had a sweet spot for the "Big Swede", now there will be 2 of em to feed in this house hold.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Twenty years ago, I saw an ad in Shotgun News for some Barnes Original .358 300 grain bullets. I bought them, and put them away to someday make a .358 Norma Mag. Six years ago, I had a chance to go on a grizzly bear hunt in Alaska, so I had a Browning LH Stainless Stalker in 7mm Mag rebarreled to .358 Norma mag. I had it fast twisted to handle the 300 grain slugs. I used a 26" barrel for the speed.

It shoot really well, is relatively flat for its power, and gave one hell of a thump to a 7' Grizzly on the Alaskan Penninsula. It is threatening to replace my .35 Whelen as my favorite rifle. It is great for North American heavy stuff.

Nice rig Yukoner!
    Welcome WSF also!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....