Thread: Remington Model 8 help

Default Remington Model 8 help

Hey all,
    I was just given a family heirloom yesterday. As far as I can tell, it is a Remington Model 8 .35 caliber rifle. It is about 100 years old. I don't know much more about it. My father couldn't seem to tell me anything about it. I know that it is in excellent condition. I'm not looking to sell, just looking to find out about the rifle itself, including value? History? Store this rifle in a safe place? or maybe use it for hunting?
    Thanks for the information....

I had several back in the 70's, including the 35 and the 30. I never hunted with either, though I have killed a fair bit of game with the 35 in other calibers. Basically it's an early sporting semi-auto. In one New Mexico county I can remember a deputy sheriff carrying a 30 in the 50's, but all the others deputies I knew preferred the 30-30 or something similar for long guns. Gun Values or some of the auctions might give you a better idea of current value, though I'm not aware of much collector interest. Could be wrong on that.

My experience with them is limited because the weight and balance never felt comfortable to me for field carry. I don't remember the details, but have the strong recollection that cleaning was a PITA, which further limited my shooting.

Your attitude is right- Great heirloom and worth learning more.

Default Remingtonm model 8

Skydiver,

My dad had a collection of the model 8's and the model 81's.

The model 8 was designed by John Browning and Remington began production in 1906. It was similar to the Auto 5 shotgun in operation. A short recoil action where the barrel recoiled a short distance locked to the bolt then cycled forward as the bolt went back, then forward and picked up a fresh round. Not many moving parts and very reliable. Pretty heavy but easy to shoot. They were made in four calibers to compete with the popular Winchester calibers of the era. 25, 30, 32 and 35 Remington. They fire a rimless round slightly smaller in diameter than the 308 and about the length of the 300 Savage. The 30 and 35 have survived today and the 30 case is the basis for the 6.8 SPC Remington round. They were replaced in 1936 by the model 81. The model 8, in 35 Reminton, was the rifle carried by Captain Frank Hamer and his Texas rangers at the infamous final stop of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, or so the story goes.

Historical value it has, as an heirloom much more for you, but I don't know of any significant collectors value for this rifle. Good shootin'.

Murphy

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also recently aquired my grandfathers a model 8 in .30 Rem. Where can I get ammo for it?

Default Model 8

I see a few of these around the country, in fact, my boy bought one last year, a .35, and it seems he gave about $400 for the thing, but he's never been the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to gun dealing.
    Browning design, recoil operated, like the A5 shotgun, gives an odd 'double shuffle' effect when you fire it. That heavy barrel actually is a shroud that hides the main operating spring.
    It's a good, strong design, if you notice the way the bolt locks up, it's got two rotating lugs to lock like a 98 or other bolt gun, just there's such loose tolerances that you're not likely to see one set up as a match gun.
    When shooting this .35, with 200 grain Hornady spire points, and a warmish load, there's a bit of recoil, but this is an earlier straight grip stock with a low comb, the later pistol grip stocks with higher combs might be a lot more comfortable.
    No reason not to use the thing, especially if you load, though it'll never even come close to the performance of even the .358 Winchester.
    The cartridge really is more in the .30-30/.38-55/.375 Winchester class.
    There is .30 Remington brass available at Buffalo Arms http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,119.htm and most likely other places as well. The .25 and .30 Remingtons are a bit on the odd side, more like rimless .25-35 and .30-30, and the cases are a bit tough to find. I understand that the 'new' 6.8 round the military was looking at was based on that case.