Thread: I want to buy a canoe...

Default I want to buy a canoe...

hopefully it's okay to ask this question on here. I moved up to Alaska last June. My kids will be here for a month this summer and I would like to buy a canoe to paddle around with them on some of the lakes here in the Mat-Su valley. Anyone out there have any suggestions

Saw a Coleman square stern with motor on Craigslist for $650 the other day. Coleman's a good knock around canoe, unless you want something pretty.

OK, now I can't find it, but there are canoes from $150 to $1800 on Craigslist and AlaskaList.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

How much $? How nice of canoe? You might consider renting, I think it's about $35 a day for a Coleman at Nancy Lakes area. Years ago they also had an Old Town to rent as well. I'm not a fan of the Colemans. You might want to try one before you spend your $.

Default Thanks.

Thank you. I'll keep checking Craigslist. I checked last year when I moved up here but wasn't in the market for one. It seems there were alot more listed last year but then again it was mid-summer when I was checking to maybe more will list as summer comes on.

Where are you in Alaska?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I've found canoes both in the boating and the sporting goods sections of Craigslist.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I also want to buy, but have no money, you are lucky

I second the guy that told you about the Coleman Sconoe if you can find one. I owned one for years in Alaska and they are wide and flat bottomed so are pretty stable and with a flat back end work great with a small outboard. I put a homemade lift on mine and could use it in some pretty shallow water. Thanks, Ron.