Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bead help

Default bead help

Can someone narrow down the beads and hooks I'll need for the kenai and russian river area . There must be thousands of different beads out out there and they want 40 bucks for one assortment !!! Maybe a size 6 and 8 hook but I don't know where to begin on the beads !!
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Are you planning a trip?
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Yep ,in August , from the Willow to the russian .

check out www.glsteelheadco.com they have all the beads you need.

Didn't see any assortments on that site , I did come across this one at cabelas , let me know what you think , not to bad at 19.95

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pucci...h-All+Products

You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Do I need to spend 60 bucks on beads for one trip , Not sure when I'll get up again and how much i will be fishing beads , just wanted to have some if my flies aren't working .

You probably won't need an entire variety pack. Probably just 3 or 4 colors in 2 or 3 sizes. If I was you, I'd stop a fly shop once you are in Alaska and ask for advice on the current hot colors for individual rivers. If you don't want to wait til you get here or are worried the shops will be out of the hot bead colors, PM me and I can give you some advice about size/color. I really like the great lakes steelhead beads that CTobias recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Do I need to spend 60 bucks on beads for one trip , Not sure when I'll get up again and how much i will be fishing beads , just wanted to have some if my flies aren't working .
    Definitely not. That page will give you an idea of what works.

Try alaskaflyfishinggoods.com go to bead, orange molted size 8mm, many others to chose from

How about that cabelas assortment , any good at all ? or is it to hard to tell about the color.

Read this:
    http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ked-truth.html
    and this:
    http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ext-level.html

Then go ask a fly shop what is working when you get here and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Fish On!

Agreed. Alaska Fly Fishing Goods has a killer kit. If you are ok spending money on jet fuel, but want to cheap out on plastic beads, go by Mossy's Fly Shop or World Wide Angler in Anchorage and have them help you pick out a dip can of beads. They got everything you need and then some.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Agreed. Alaska Fly Fishing Goods has a killer kit. If you are ok on spending money on jet fuel, but want to cheap out on plastic beads, go by Mossy's Fly Shop or World Wide Angler in Anchorage and have them help you pick out a dip can of beads. They got everything you need and then some.

-Dan
    Mossy's is good stuff. Great flies and beads.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Yep, and more importantly for folks like the OP and me flying up, he can suggest some beads/flies that are working at the time we show up. The personal attention you get in a fly shop is nothing to take for granted. I would slam my pecker in a door before I would order a bead kit from Cabelas.

-Dan

Yeah , I have to draw the line somewhere , 60.00 for beads just isn't happening , the plane tickets are hi this year , I'm hoping they will come down soon . The gas hike is hurting alot of people down here and I heard gas is really hi in alaska !! We go through Wasilla on are way north any good shops there to pick up beads and license .

3 Rivers in Wasilla is a great fly shop. On the left side of the Parks Hwy(if your headed north). - at the RR crossing. The others mentioned on other posts are equally good. Sportsman's Whse (Wasilla or Anchorage) also usually has beads. Go with a size 8 or 10 hook for the best results. In late August 8mm & 6mm beads are the most useful. If you'll be here at the beginning of the month, better have some 10mm's also. My favorite colors are: dead roe (sort of a light brown color), pale yellow w/red streaks, pearl peach & dead white. Grab some Thing-a-ma- Bobs (1" or 1 1/4" dia) for strike indicators.
    Check the back pages on this forum for other posts on beads. There was a great one last year (or maybe it was in 2010?).

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I would slam my pecker in a door before I would order a bead kit from Cabelas.

-Dan
    +1. That'd be my presidential slogan.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

alaskaflyfishinggoods.com is a great place to buy guide painted beads, and they'll be able to help you narrow down the colors and sizes you'll need.
    Another option would be to stop into a fly shop (Worldwide Angler) when you arrive and get assistance from the expert on the floor. They also have a huge selection of beads and will be able to help you select the right colors and sizes.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast