Thread: Taking the 180 to Lake Clark

Default Taking the 180 to Lake Clark

Hi all. I am making my annual trip up in July and will be putting the old 180 in the water. Taking my nephew down to the Brooks to see the bears then back up into the Lake Clark area. Any advice on a great camping/fishing spot without the crowd? Although I spent a good number of years flying floats I am staying fairly conservative. We stayed on the south shore of Kijak last year and it was ok but the fishing was a little slow. Thinking maybe Twin Lakes or up as far as the wood river area ? We are going to join Shan and Eric over at the Northwoods on the tail end so should get plenty of fishing done. Looking for advice.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Say hello to Eric, from the guy he helped build a cabin on the shore of Lake Clark about 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Hi all. I am making my annual trip up in July and will be putting the old 180 in the water. Taking my nephew down to the Brooks to see the bears then back up into the Lake Clark area. Any advice on a great camping/fishing spot without the crowd? Although I spent a good number of years flying floats I am staying fairly conservative. We stayed on the south shore of Kijak last year and it was ok but the fishing was a little slow. Thinking maybe Twin Lakes or up as far as the wood river area ? We are going to join Shan and Eric over at the Northwoods on the tail end so should get plenty of fishing done. Looking for advice.

Thanks in advance

Mark
    If you don't mind flying a little farther south, try the lower end of Nonvianuk Lake. There should still be some great red salmon fishing, and the rainbow fishing is always good there. Also try the "narrows" between Upper and Lower Ugashik. World's best grayling fishing there. Have a great trip.

Mort