Thread: Unit 20A Moose hunt

Default Unit 20A Moose hunt

The Unit 20A moose hunt for cows and calfs will continue next year as the harvest quota has still not been met.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/...-8677930c.html

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I didn't realize the population was that high. I was under the impression the ADF&G was issuing the cow permits because they were trying to manage it as a trophy bull area which would screw over local residents.
    Now what ?

Default Will antlerless be open to NON Res?

The verbage used in that article states "hunters". Does that include non-residential "hunters"??

Default No non res

Every year its been open for antlerless it has not been allowed for non res. From what I have been told this is the attempt to keep the population from crashing.

The reason is because of moose population. This area is weak in genetics for producing trophy bulls, but a heck of lot of meat bulls are now available. Right now, for a large area, not compared to small pockets around the state, it has more moose per square mile than anywhere else. Just driving around and glassing the surrounding hills and willow thickets will tell you all you need to know about the population. If the rest of the state was in this good of shape, we would all have something to look forward to.

BucknRut:

I would suggest you find a resident moose Hunting partner to go with. If he see a cow moose, he can take it and you can hunt for a bull. You will be very happy you had an experianced moose hunter the first time you get a moose.

Default 20A Moose

Since we are on the topic of thinning out 20A moose, how about discussing how to hunt it?
    Right now I am looking at Yanert Creek. Has anyone walked in there to hunt moose? Are there trailheads? How is the brush?

I snowmachined in that part of the world last January, and it didn't look too bad. The prospect of packing a cow out isn't that inviting, but as Arnold says, "You have to burn if you want to grow"

Default wouldn't say so!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The reason is because of moose population. This area is weak in genetics for producing trophy bulls, but a heck of lot of meat bulls are now available. Right now, for a large area, not compared to small pockets around the state, it has more moose per square mile than anywhere else. Just driving around and glassing the surrounding hills and willow thickets will tell you all you need to know about the population. If the rest of the state was in this good of shape, we would all have something to look forward to.
    I've hunted in there and seen alot of very nice bulls; if you can get though all the mucky muck.