Thread: CFII/ATPs looking to rent 172 or 182 out of Anchorage

Default CFII/ATPs looking to rent 172 or 182 out of Anchorage

Hello All,

My friend and I are active CFIIs, ATPs, and tailwheel instructors with over 2100TT and Learjet type ratings. We're headed to Anchorage in late August for a fishing trip and would really like to fly our own bird rather than pay for a seat on a Douglas. So far the flight schools have been unwilling to let us take something overnight, since they claim that even with a 4-hour minimum daily rental they can still make more with the bird at home.
    We both have a ton of time in 172s, 182s, 210s, Bonanzas, Bellancas, etc. Our lodge's strip is only about 2000', so we probably need to stick with a high wing Cessna. We both have personal insurance policies, in addition to probably meeting the open pilot policy on any available aircraft, and zero-accident/incident records.
    We need the bird for 3 days and are certainly willing to pay market price - certainly doesn't need to be anything fancy, either. Before the school bailed on us we were thinking about flying our A36 up, but now we're all stuck with nonrefundable airline tickets. If any of you know anyone willing to rent their baby I'd be happy to provide a resume and references, down payment, etc. Even if you can simply point us in the right direction, any help or advice is much appreciated!

Repectfully,

Justin C. Scarrow & Christopher Cook

Check with Land and Sea in Anchorage. They used to do overnight or over weekend rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Check with Land and Sea in Anchorage. They used to do overnight or over weekend rentals.
    I'll second that recommendation. I've just arranged an airplane rental for this coming August. I'll be using it for round trips from Merrill Field to the Iliamna, King Salmon, and Port Heiden areas. Their only restriction seems to be their reluctance to have their planes operated on and off gravel strips.

There was another outfit called Aerotech in Anchorage who was renting out a C-207 for a few days at a time. They lost one when a bunch of super high time , out of state , pilots augured it into the side of West Amatuli Island. http://homernews.com/stories/072105/...l#.T5houdnYHKE
    But they might still be renting...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    There was another outfit called Aerotech in Anchorage who was renting out a C-207 for a few days at a time. They lost one when a bunch of super high time , out of state , pilots augured it into the side of West Amatuli Island. http://homernews.com/stories/072105/...l#.T5houdnYHKE
    But they might still be renting...
    Is Aerotech still in busness? I know the owner died 2-3 years ago.

Heck, you got me... I try to never spend more then 3 or 4 hours in Anchorage. The place gives me the willies.

http://www.aerotechalaska.com/index_no_flash.html
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I'll second that recommendation. I've just arranged an airplane rental for this coming August. I'll be using it for round trips from Merrill Field to the Iliamna, King Salmon, and Port Heiden areas. Their only restriction seems to be their reluctance to have their planes operated on and off gravel strips.
    He mentioned that the destination is a 2000' lodge strip. Sounds pretty gravelly to me.

You are right, Jim. After the owner died, Aerotech closed its doors.
    Not much choice left here in Anchorage - Land and Sea plus Arctic Flyers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Is Aerotech still in busness? I know the owner died 2-3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg56 View Post
    He mentioned that the destination is a 2000' lodge strip. Sounds pretty gravelly to me.
    Land and Sea understands that I'll be taking their airplane to a gravel strip at Painter Creek, near Port Heiden.

Last time I looked AeroTech is gone. We used to park there in the eaqrly80's. Wilbur's used to rent and I'd take their 172s to Illiamna all the time.

Might want to go in partners and buy one to fly up here. I know an Oklahoma FAA test pilot that did that in ard 2010 r 2011. I think 3 guys went in on a 180. I was stinking abt renting my 180 to them but decided against it.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Land and Sea understands that I'll be taking their airplane to a gravel strip at Painter Creek, near Port Heiden.
    Alright, I understand. Reluctance but not prohibited. I know that's part of your old stomping grounds. Have a good time.

I think the gravel strip thing depends on on the strip. When I was a student at take flight[then owned by Miller] He allowed goose bay and I don't know what happened-But it went on the no land list. Skwentna and Willow, etc still OK.