Thread: General salmon question

Default General salmon question

I've done a fair amount of fishing out east for trout but almost always with a 3, 4 or 5 weight outfit. I'm coming to Prince of Wales this summer for the first time and I'm trying to gear myself up. I'll bring a 5 weight but need to get myself a "salmon rod" as well. I think I'll mostly be fishing for pinks but wouldn't be surprised to get into a handful of silvers as well. I've been leaning towards a 7 weight because I always prefer to be slightly undergunned than overgunned and also because I think I'd enjoy the 7 weight on eastern steelhead more than a heavier rod. That said, what are the opinions of you far more experienced guys? If I was fishing for 70% pinks and 30% silvers on POW, what weight rod would be ideal in your opinions?

The other question I have is regarding lines. I've never really fished anything but a weight forward floating line and will probably do the same with this salmon rod unless I'm strongly encouraged to use a sink tip line. Am I OK with the WF floating line for most applications?

Thanks in advance. I'm very excited about this trip and have really been surprised at how helpful some of the posters on this board are with newbies.

Your 5 with a WF floater is ideal for pinks. They average 3.5# or so, a real trophy on a 5-weight, and likely to show you backing when you get into the big males. I'd go with a 7 for your second rod, also with a WF floater. It's plenty for silvers when you're not elbow to elbow or fighting big currents, and will be handy for the pinks on windy days. Pinks will still be fun on it, while less so on an 8.

I with BB I know sorry but hey there is always that one guy and today I am it. Having a spare spool with a Teeny weighted line might not be a bad option on your 7W. Better to have a little to much some times then not enough just in case might help in higher water conditions if it happens. Just food for thought.

Great, thanks a lot fellas. I feel much better about what my gut had been telling me now. I think that if we fish silvers, we'll probably be mostly left alone. Of course as you both pointed out, there's always wind, high water and other factors to consider too. Thanks again.

it all depends on the current in the stream your fishing. Some places a 5 wt is fine others not so much. I would go with a 6 and 8, but saying that I have never fished POW, I have however fished steel around the area and I was out matched with a 6. Take it for what it is worth, also I never use sinking tip lines but that is my preference.

Thanks kenaibow fan. I've watched every single Youtube video of Prince of Wales fishing (I'm a glutton) and truthfully the streams and rivers look very manageable, not unlike what we have here in Pennsylvania (except for all of the trout and salmon). I'm glad to hear that the floating line is going to be fine because I'm a bit intimidated of sink tips for whatever reason.

POW is a lot of fun. Be forewarned: once you hook up on a silver you're going to forget pinks even exist.

I wouldn't think twice about going back to POW packing a 5wt and a 7wt. You should be fine with a floating line for just about everything. My advice is to bring along a 15' sink tip that you can connect to your new 7wt line loop-to-loop in case there is a situation where the floater isn't cutting it. High water is definitely a possibility. Cheap insurance for 20 bucks.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...ink-Tip-Type-8

With any luck you may indeed be undergunned on a fish or two. POW gets some hefty silvers.

Bring good rain gear!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I'll play devils advocate...

I fish almost everything on the Kenai with a 9wt. Even a 9wt is floppy compared to a "normal" rod. I like the castability, I can cast any size fly I want with it. I do fish a 7wt. when targeting trout or pinks exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by GANGGREEN View Post
    .... The other question I have is regarding lines. I've never really fished anything but a weight forward floating line and will probably do the same with this salmon rod unless I'm strongly encouraged to use a sink tip line. Am I OK with the WF floating line for most applications?

No, it is not "OK....for most applications". Bring a sinktip line (type III, 15' tip; a whole fishing line, not just a tip piece to loop-connect to a floating line).

6 and 8 wt.

For freshwater fishing, come no sooner than last week of august, but later is the better bet. Come too early, there will be no silvers in freshwater (except for neck lake) and you'll be foul hooking pinks till the cows come home.

Boy, you guys are making this as clear as mud for me. I asked the question because I wanted honest advice and I appreciate all of it, even if not everyone agrees. As for the timing of my trip, it's already set in stone and I may be too early for most of the silvers, that's why I'm leaning towards the 7 weight. I'll be there the last week of July.

Boy, you guys are making this as clear as mud for me. I asked the question because I wanted honest advice and I appreciate all of it, even if not everyone agrees. As for the timing of my trip, it's already set in stone and I may be too early for most of the silvers, that's why I'm leaning towards the 7 weight. I'll be there the last week of July.
    No silvers, but there will be other kinds of fish - depending on location - pinks, chums, reds (which do not bite), and standard-size resident trout species (cutt, dolly, rainbow). The trout will mostly take glo-bugs and esl's; and dries in some situations (you can use your floating line for that).

Thanks stevesch. I'm pretty well set up for the trout with rods and with flies. Assuming I'm hitting mostly pinks at that time, I'd think I couldn't handle many/most of them on the same 5 weight but I may bring a 7 weight too, to make it easier with the larger pinks and with any early silvers, chums or reds that we might run into. I'm sure it's going to be a grand adventure for me no matter what.

Bring both rods. If one were to malfunction, a backup would be handy.

LOL you know what, you got a point there! Just use whatever you want, if that's what you have then run with it. Every one uses different methods to catch fish and they seem to work. a chum on a 5 or 7 is a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very pretty fish too.
    remember the saying about opinions and azzzzzzzzzz holes…………that is very true about fishing up here and on here. Truth of the matter is if you get the fly or lure in front of them and the fish aren't spooked, they will probably hit it. Our fish are by rule of thumb more aggressive. Sorry to "clear" things up for you………LOL

I've been counting on them being a bit more aggressive than our ultra-spooky trout. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

I've been counting on them being a bit more aggressive than our ultra-spooky trout. Hopefully they don't disappoint.
    Sometimes they're only "easy" or "aggressive" AFTER you figure out what they want, what tide they want it on, and how they want to see it. But the list is pretty short. E.g., pinks may be on shrimp patterns early in the rising tide and small streamers late, then off everything for six hours as the tide falls.

One thing you never hear about is pink salmon on surface flies, but when they're schooled up tight in either fresh or salt, they'll often come to the top like crazy. That's dandy when they're so thick below the surface you can't avoid snagging them. For years we relied on small deer hair Pink Pollywogs (usually tied on #4 Gamikazu stinger hooks). Recently we've switched to a simplified pink version of the Burning Man fly pattern- basically leave off the rubber legs and sub a pink marabou tail. It's faster to tie and floats longer, especially compared to deer hair Wogs that have been slimed a few times.

BB's burning man with marabou tail sounds alot like a gurgler tied in pink. Which does work in some situations - it sits a little lower than the wog. Worth bringing a few, nothing to go crazy over - dry fly fishing for salmon doesn't happen every day. But I have noticed pinks going for this thing sometimes.

Thanks a lot guys. That's interesting and helpful.