Thread: SE AK 2012 Kings

Default SE AK 2012 Kings

Here we go guys. For sport fishing we have a 3 king limit, and they are saying their are a bunch of king in the ocean again. No excuses!

Things are picking up off of the W side of POW. Not sure how the Coffman side is doing. Grabbed 4 this morning fishing off of Suemez Island. They are gorging on krill, and it's a super shallow drag to get them. I hit bottom so many times that I'm surprised I still have both poles on my boat. Looked good on the screen and I felt I should have caught more. I bet I could have caught more on sport gear. I might need to change things up a bit to match the krill they are eating. Caught 2 on the 039r hoochie, 1 on a #6 Diamond King spoon, and 1 on a green hoochie I can't remember the number of. I was hand trolling, so don't turn me into the troopers for being over my limit.

The feed they are eating..

Pole pic..

Troll dressed, in slush

Skinny fish this year. They sold at 11, 10, 8, and 7 lbs. Average is way down right now. I sold a few in the 15lb range last week, but nothing over 15 for me this year so far.

Charterboat Operator

Awesome!!!!!!

270 - Nice looking fish! Pretty much the same thing is going on now out in Sitka Sound - I was out there power trolling with a friend last week. Much smaller Kings (11.0 - 11.5 pound average) than usual and they were also gorging on krill. You might want to try a hoochie color change. We replaced some of our normal April King-catching hoochies with some UV versions with red or pink stripes and increased our catch rate. I even had some luck on a pink-striped pearl white spoon that a friend painted for me. Keep up the good work!

Thanks JKD. I heard those Sitka boys were catching really well.. Hope that big school that passed through Sitka is on it's way down here. The guy at the plant thought it might get shut down early.

Are the krill dense enough that you are seeing them on the fishfinder, or are you seeing the fish? How deep where you getting them?

Thanks for the post. Summer is coming!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I can see the krill on my sounder. I was getting them shallow. I was fishing in about 40ft of water up on the rocks and tight up against some kelp in a bay. Not my most favorite drag as you have to be right on the steering wheel or you are hitting bottom.

Thanks for the report, been wondering whats happening up there. I've only heard of 1 king from the guys at WF but I don't think they've been out much.

It's been really tough.. just starting to pick up.

Nice, that gets me pumped. Just got my boat all geared up for the season. Putting her in the water tomorrow after work. I have my eye on Saturdays evening high. If I get lucky maybe I'll catch one or two this year.

What are you trolling out of 270?
    Alpine is awesome...

19' Pacific Skiff/ 150 Yamaha

I'm heading out tomorrow for a drag. I'll duplicate what your trying in tight to some rocks also in Salsbury Sound North of Sitka. My new 19' Workskiff is fishing good.

you guys have some really good kings up there, i hear. snap a few pics of the boat and the fish..