Thread: 300 saum

Default 300 saum

I picked up a nice little 300 SAUM model 7 in stainless last fall and have finally gotten around to building up some loads for 180 grain bullets.
    I read about Re-loader 17 for these short mags and was looking forward to the results. However, the results were very disappointing. No group less than 1.25". I know that some of that was me struggling with the rest and sand bags between shots, but most groups were near 2". I also noticed that the recoil was pretty stout. Pressure signs showed up before I was half way up the five groups to the max load listed by Alliant Power load site. Really let down for this cartridge.

That said there is always 4350 to fall back on isn't there?

The Nosler book showed some promising loads and they turned out nicely. Moderate recoil with no serious signs of pressure until the max load. Accuracy was OK for 180gn partitions, but not what I was looking for when shooting the 180 Accubonds. I might have been struggling with the 50 pounds of factory trigger pull by the time I was getting to these loads as well.

First pic is the 180 partition with 60.5gn of H4350. Three shot group. I think I might have influenced the flyer.

Second pic is the 180gn partition with 61gn of H4350. Three shots into this hole.

I think I have found the load for this rifle and bullet. the Nosler book shows 60gn of H4350 as the most accurate with this powder. My short barrel (22") likes a little more soup in the pot. The high load of 62gn started to spread so this lighter load is where its at for this little rifle.

I have also read around the internets that these 300 SAUMS prefer flat base spitzers rather than boat tails. There might be something to that for this rifle.

Now on to the 165/168 boolits when I have more time.

I experienced much of the same when loading for the 7SAUM. H4350 was the winner for me giving good accuracy, good velocity, and no pressure signs that other powders gave. The rifle was a 700 SA with, of all things, a 24" barrel which I found odd. With a load of 4350 near the book max and 160gr partitions, it stacked them right on top of one another. Switching to Accubonds resulted in 50% larger groups and lower velocity for any given charge I tried.

After looking harder at the Accubond targets, there might be more potential there if I consider my reaction to the trigger causing some issues. Except for the one flyer in each group at 61 and 61.5 grains they could have clover leafed.....or not...using a three shot group to prove out a load is not the best way to determine a final load.

I do need to look into trigger adjustment at some point. When you have to look to see if the safety is still on when the trigger is pulled without the gun firing, there might be too much tension.

Since partitions work so well on critters as well for accuracy I don't see the need for getting too deep into the 180grn bullet choices for hunting. The 165/168grn boolits may cause me some "over thinking it" issues.

Looks like you're ready to go hunting. Test it out on a bear. What's your COAL with the partitions? How much mag room you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Looks like you're ready to go hunting. Test it out on a bear. What's your COAL with the partitions? How much mag room you got?
    Almost none. These are at 2.825 and just barely fit into the box. I have to load them point first. Factory ammo I just drop in as they are quite a bit shorter than COAL.