Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diesel heaters

Default diesel heaters

I need a diesel heater for a 24' boat.I know Espar is at the top of the list but what about Wallas?

my buddy's boat has a webasto marine heater in it. Very nice!

Spend the money on the Espar D4 and never look back. That thing rocks!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have a wall mount Dickerson in my gillnetter and it work great! Install a daytank on the roof(gravity feed) and it's absolutely trouble free and thrifty on fuel. I run a little kerosene in mine to keep it running a little cleaner!

This thread comes up about as often as "Which hand gun to carry for bear protection?" I had a wallas 1300 in my Alaskan searunner. I had a lot of problems with it and it did not provide enough heat. I have heard that wallas has made some improvements on their heaters. The plus side to the wallas units is the customer service. Scan Marine always took care of me in a timely manner. I have the wallas cook top/heater combo as well as a wallas oven. They have worked flawlessly over the past four seasons as long as you keep your batteries up. The wallas line seems to be very voltage sensitive.

I run an ESPAR Airtronic D4 for cabin heat and it is an impressive unit. It sips the fuel and is easy on the house battery bank, but not so easy on the pocket book as you know. There are a lot of similarities between the ESPAR and the Webasto. Both will keep you warm as long as you keep them fueled and maintain your house bank.

I am not a fan of the Dickinson heaters in a small, go fast, family boat. They are probably the most reliable and efficient setup out there, but I will wait until I have a big, go slow boat. I saw an install of one of these on another board: snugger Apparently they are designed by some ex-ESPAR guys. It is not a "marinized" unit, but the guy that installed it had did it for about $1000.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This weekend we rafted up with a buddy who had a Wallas in his boat. I like that it was super quiet, but it didn't put out the heat that my Espar D4 does. Mine will run you out in a hurry but it's a little loud. I wouldn't trade my Espar for anything. Plus his Wallas always had a kerosene smell to it and today he took it apart to clean it up and found the combustion chamber burnt thru. Sent it back to Scan Marine and it's not gonna be cheap to repair.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My vote is also for an Espar. They simply work amazing, and burn next to nothing for fuel. Mine is a bit smaller, (D2) I estimate about 12 - 14 hours of use on high with my small 1.5 gallon tank!

Forgot to add, Espar (Esparcher) and Webasto are virtually the same thing. I was told that the 2 factories are only blocks apart.

Espar, no complaints.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

I run a Webasto Airtop 2000 on my 22 ft boat, no complaints.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I have a Webasto, I think it is a 3500 and it works great. I got the digital thermometer with it, and it holds within a degree or so in any conditions. This is my 4th season with it, and I have had no issues.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Espar D4, they put out enough heat you can leave the windows and doors open and the bugs can't get in through the escaping heat waves!!

where on your boats have you guys mounter your Espar's so not do drive you crazy with the noise?

Mine is installed next to my seat. It's a little noisy, but after a little while I forget it's there. The fuel pump clicking gets old. but I wrapped it up with some cloth and quieted it down a lot. It's under the sink/stove area. I have seen where someone mounted theres inside the head. If I were to relocate it, that's what i would do. You are more than welcome to check mine out if you are close to Eagle River.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My heater unit is located under the port side gunwale and the tank and the pump (I think) is located under the floor. Mine isn't as loud as some. In fact the sound of the fuel pump lulls me to sleep most nights out there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Mine is mounted in my gunwale by the seat box under my table behind the panel. Pretty quiet. My pump is under the floor and I hear it ticking when it is running but it just lets me know its working!

Under port side bench seat. You will always hear the fan especially when it is cranked on high. Mount the pump on a rubber strip to quiet it down. They also have an exhaust silencer you can install to quiet the exhaust noise, this isn't a problem unless you are outside...the boat rafted next to you only wishes they had one! Add 11 gallon tank to fit two 5-gallon cans of kerosene, vent to exterior so you do not have a problem with portable tank pressurizing and puking fuel inside.

Well I ordered a Espar D4 with the marine kit a digital controls but not I need to find a fuel tank for it.The one that Espar sells won't fit where I want to install it.What have you guys used?

Mine was built with the boat. I would see what Greer tank has or can do. Or talk to one of the aluminum fabricators around to see what they would charge to make a custom tank for the area you have. I would make it around 15 gallons if you can so you can always easily get two fives of kerosene in.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Well I ordered a Espar D4 with the marine kit a digital controls but not I need to find a fuel tank for it.The one that Espar sells won't fit where I want to install it.What have you guys used?
    Where did you find the best deal on the D4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast