Thread: Cordova Coho info?

Default Cordova Coho info?

Tried to do a search and have not found much on fishing Cordova. Does anyone have some info to share with fishing silvers from the road system.
    Looks like there are about 4 rivers with good access, how about the crowds during the 1st week of Sept? Are there several holes that hold fish well, or are you fishing with lots of crowds.
    Thinking about hitting Valdez on last week of August, then taking the ferry over for 5-7 days. Any suggestions on a reasonable place to stay, as I probably will be myself. Camping is okay, or sleeping out of the van. Heard camping is a little tough because rains are usually pretty heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Tried to do a search and have not found much on fishing Cordova. Does anyone have some info to share with fishing silvers from the road system.
    Looks like there are about 4 rivers with good access, how about the crowds during the 1st week of Sept? Are there several holes that hold fish well, or are you fishing with lots of crowds.
    Thinking about hitting Valdez on last week of August, then taking the ferry over for 5-7 days. Any suggestions on a reasonable place to stay, as I probably will be myself. Camping is okay, or sleeping out of the van. Heard camping is a little tough because rains are usually pretty heavy.

First thing that comes up when you type in Cordova Silver Salmon Alaska Magazine...

http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar...8_cordova.html

Maybe someone else will have more first hand info for you.

I spent a yr down there in 1991. Granted, a while ago. Man, let me tell u what... It was THE best place i ever fished silvers. I didnt have much experience with them at that time, but man was it fun. We fished em right off the rd that runs along the waterfront (to the left as u approach the shore from riding in on the ferry) in the saltwater. There was a small backwater cove that the fish would come into. They took herring or roe fished under a bobber thrown out from the rocks along shore into the salt. In Sept some folks would set up a cannery operation right on the spot. (doubt they can do that anymore.) Water was super clear. I remmmber looking out at any one time and seeing maybe a dozen fish in the air (jumping) out of salt water. We also fished a bit in Power crk. An ok run, at least back then. There was one other creek about 20 miles out of town that was somewhat secluded that we had fun in. Eyak also had a run, but wasnt great to fish - too big a river for a few fish in it. ---by the way, we had great fun throwing flies for the dollies and pinks in the salt off the rocks, too. The 1st time I ever had a salmon take me to my backing was a pink in the salt there hooked just 3ft from shore on a 30 ft cast to it. It headed straight to Valdez. The dollies in the salt would cruize the shore and appeared to be eating those 1-2 inch transparent/white jellyfish. At nite the wife and I would go down to our saltwater spot with a spotlite. The seals would be around to hassle the silvers. The silvers were smart and would pull right up against the shoreline, literally between the big boulders we would fish off. We put the spot lite on a silver out about 25 yds in the ocean and the seals would 'key' on him. Like watching a couple hi speed small torpedoes! Very cool. So we see silvers parked in the boulders... I go up to my trk and get my little trout net. Walk down to the waters edge, first attempt, fish gets away. 2nd try,,get em out of the water with net but flops back out. 3rd try....netted silver. They would rather be in the rocks than face the seals. Sorry for the long post. I had a great amount of fun in Cordova. I've fished Seward (lived there 5 yrs) and fished Valdez (wk'd there one fall) and Cordova was as good as them. Hope it is still that fun. Good Luck!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I have done this trip as a long weekend and it was great. We stayed at a bed and breakfast, something or other Rose. 4 or 5 places to eat in town. The hottest fishing that weekend was the creek by the airport, and on a Saturday parking was bit of an issue (on the roadside and a hike past earlier parked cars), but you could easily walk upstream until you found space and fish. There are many creeks along the road which host silver runs. There are Forest Service campgrounds and even some cabins that are a short hike in. The one concern is that with a lot of rain you could be blown out by high water, although even then some of the smaller creeks that cross the road should be fishable.
    LBenz

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    I've been there a couple times. Fishing can be good. The ADFG (fish and game) office there has a road-fishing map with the various waters - maybe 8-10 spots - for salmon around there (sloughs, creeks, and a terminal fishery - I believe that's what one of the other posts talks is mentioning); nothing secret about it. There are limited rooms and rental cars, generally real beaters, so I think the road-fishing pressure is fixed by that supply. There is more fishing accessible in the area by air on the mainland and PWS islands. I saw people fishing by roads and in remote areas, but not great mobs. I have done cabins (hard to get), and camping - which requires good equipment and advance planning on exactly where to go/setup to stay above water, but it can all be done.

Last week of August or a little later would be a good bet imo.

wonder if its worth taking the wheeler, tent, and fly rod over for a bit. But there are places here in Valdez I can get coho.