Thread: Best tide to drift Kasilof

Default Best tide to drift Kasilof

When on a charter drift fishing trip on the Kasilof for kings, is it better to drift and fish while the tide is rising at the river mouth or fallling, or is it really hard to say? I've been told that at the end of the drift you get to cast plugs at the mouth. I expect that when casting plugs it is better if the tide is rising since that is when fish would be more likely to be moving into the river, right? I also suspect that if it gets to the point of casting plugs near the mouth it's kind of a last ditch effort to try and salvage something out of a non-productive day. Am I close to being right about that? Any insights would be appreciated as I have a couple of dates I can book a charter and obviously would like to maximize success. Thanks in advance.

The tide cycles are not as extreme down there as they are in other places so the river is not as limited to the fish pushing in and out with the tide. With that being said though fishing is always better when the tide is rising since the fish typically push in greater numbers in my experience.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    The tide cycles are not as extreme down there as they are in other places

Hmmmmm.....Maybe not quite as high as Anchorage, but from a -5.9 to a +24 on May 7th......I'd say that's still a pretty good sized cycle....imo. And a big tide like that will push fish up the river. We fish the tides down here all the time. But you're right....the incoming tide is the one to fish....

During a guided trip on the Kasilof the tides are definitely a big factor. every guide has their preference, but most like to set up on the incoming tide, then fish their way out as the water starts moving again... however, the time of day (early morning) can be just as important to consider than the tide.
    The perfect storm is when you can get out in the early morning and fish the holes in the upper stretches, taking advantage of the early am bite, then work your way down to tidewater for a late morning tide to target the fish coming in with the tide, then fish your way out as the tide begins to run again. Of course, the fish are unpredictable so all you can do is play the odds.
    As far as casting plugs at the river mouth - I've never seen or heard of anyone doing that, and the river mouth is extremely muddy and not real favorable for fishing... not so say that it couldn't be done, but your time is better spent elsewhere.
    Good luck,
    MW
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks very much guys. You have verified what I have been thinking.

R.E.B. if you haven't got a guide outfit yet you should check out Mark's website www.akfishology.com. He knows the Kassilof VERY well and will give you the best shot at your King!

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    The perfect storm is when you can get out in the early morning and fish the holes in the upper stretches, taking advantage of the early am bite, then work your way down to tidewater for a late morning tide to target the fish coming in with the tide,
    MW
    I have to wonder where you are considering "tide water" because believe it or not the tide will effect that river at least all the way up to Crooked Creek......never really checked beyond that. I never knew it before, but one day I laid down and fell asleep in the sun for awhile on a gravel bar across from the big turn with the little house on the hill above. When I went to sleep my feet weren't in the water but when I woke up they were.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to wonder where you are considering "tide water" because believe it or not the tide will effect that river at least all the way up to Crooked Creek......never really checked beyond that. I never knew it before, but one day I laid down and fell asleep in the sun for awhile on a gravel bar across from the big turn with the little house on the hill above. When I went to sleep my feet weren't in the water but when I woke up they were.
    4mer.......I been meaning to ask u about that. We saw u laying there next to the empty bottle so we pulled u down to the water a bit and put your feet in. Thought we could get u to pee yourself. Did it work?? ps...u know the tide dont go up that far!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmmm.....Maybe not quite as high as Anchorage, but from a -5.9 to a +24 on May 7th......I'd say that's still a pretty good sized cycle....imo. And a big tide like that will push fish up the river. We fish the tides down here all the time. But you're right....the incoming tide is the one to fish....

Yes thats what I was talking about. A 24 foot is a good tide swing but in Anchorage tides get to 30+ which is a lot of water.

As far as the tide up to crooked creek Ive fished that hole a few times and didnt notice the tide rising there but I have heard that it can. The few times I did fish there were maybe lower tide cycles.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Come on now - you know that 5.9+24 is 29.9 don't ya? Sure it may be a couple foot less - but it is still a lot of water.

You're right, the tides on the Kasilof can affect the river all the way up to "people hole" on the big tides. I consider tide water to be the stretch of river noticably affected by the tide on any particular day.... so tide water on a small tide may only include the water downstream of "satellite hole," while on a large tide it may include all the water below Crooked Creek.
    A good guide will be aware of the tidal influence on any particular day, and often plan the trip around it to take advantage of the fish it brings.... hopefully
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    4mer.......I been meaning to ask u about that. We saw u laying there next to the empty bottle so we pulled u down to the water a bit and put your feet in. Thought we could get u to pee yourself. Did it work?? ps...u know the tide dont go up that far!
    I had my waders on so no......I didn't pee myself.....lol. But as "markw3" has also stated, a BIG tide CAN go up that far. Also think about how far Eagle Rock is from the ocean on the Kenai. That rock will get covered by water on some high tides.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    You're right, the tides on the Kasilof can affect the river all the way up to "people hole" on the big tides. I consider tide water to be the stretch of river noticably affected by the tide on any particular day.... so tide water on a small tide may only include the water downstream of "satellite hole," while on a large tide it may include all the water below Crooked Creek.
    A good guide will be aware of the tidal influence on any particular day, and often plan the trip around it to take advantage of the fish it brings.... hopefully
    Oh and btw.....I had a feeling you were talking about lower on the river. But usually there are a few guys where I "used" to fish down below the "Party" hole (which we always called it....lol) that always ask when the tide was. Then we have to ask if these fish were sprinters or mariahon runners, to try and determine how long it will take them to get to the hole....

Are you a guide Mark?

Trying to make heads or tails of this and failing miserably.

I need to schedule a Kasilof charter on a Saturday in June. High tides for each Saturday are: 6/1 - 2:48PM, 6/16 - 3:50PM, & 6/23 - 7:07AM. Do any of these jump out as great fishing? I'm pretty sure the charter starts early AM regardless of the tide.

Thanks!