Thread: Any Anchorage or Eagle River lakes fishable yet?

Default Any Anchorage or Eagle River lakes fishable yet?

I decided to check out University Lake today at lunch. There are only a few spots of open water and I've never been succesful fishing those spots in years past. Same result today. It's been years since I've fished that lake so I don't know if it's still being stocked or not.

We're probably still a few more weeks before the ice is gone, but if there is any open water post up.
    Last edited by Paul H; 04-23-2012 at 17:53.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I decided to make a few casts on University Lake today at lunch. There are only a few spots of open water and I've never been succesful fishing those spots in years past. Same result today. It's been years since I've fished that lake so I don't know if it's still being stocked or not.

We're probably still a few more weeks before the ice is gone, but if there is any open water post up.
    I haven't seen any open water on Fire Lake or Mirror Lake. Give it two more weeks of weather like this.

I decided to make a few casts on University Lake today at lunch. There are only a few spots of open water and I've never been succesful fishing those spots in years past. Same result today. It's been years since I've fished that lake so I don't know if it's still being stocked or not.

If you're fishing University Lake in Anchorage be careful. It's closed April 15-June 14th for rainbow spawning.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Page. 38
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The only thing I see closed is Campbell Creek, and University Lake isn't part of the drainage per the map on page 37, and I didn't see any mention of University Lake on page 38.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm just not finding the lake being closed in the regs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Called AF&G, yup it's closed as part of the Chester Creek drainage.

I enjoy fishing, but not in closed waters! Would be nice if they had some signage out there.

Called AF&G, yup it's closed as part of the Chester Creek drainage.

I enjoy fishing, but not in closed waters! Would be nice if they had some signage out there.
    From the codified: (3) in the Chester Creek drainage,

(A) the bag and possession limit for rainbow/steelhead trout is five fish, of which only one per day may be 20 inches or greater in length;

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...dll/aac/query=[JUMP:'Title5Chap59']/doc/{@1}?firsthit

(B) sport fishing is closed from April 15 - June 14;
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

It only says Chester Creek is closed. Nowhere does it say Chester Creek DRAINAGE or entire drainage. It does say Campbell Creek (entire drainage) but it does not say the same for Chester. This leads one to believe University Lake is legal to fish. If fish and game says its closed, you would think they could at least put entire drainage in the regs.

The fish and game guy did say that the regs are poorly worded.

That said, the university lake has never been steller fishing, just a way to catch the occasional fish during lunchtime. Guess I'll have to find another lake to fish.

I drive by fire lake almost every day just to see if its opening up. As of yesterday it was still a block of ice. Ill probably swing by again in a day or two. I just need some open water to get some casting practice in with the new rod.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

There was a tiny bit of water at the launch last night on Fire lake.

Got a glimpse at Fire this morning driving my son to school, still looks pretty solid. But a good warm sunny week or two should change that.