Thread: Beaver Creek

Default Beaver Creek

i planned on floating beaver creek this august. my friend and i have 4 days and 3 nights available to us. put in the morning of the 17th and take out some time on the 20th to be back in fairbanks that night.

we were considering putting in at nome creek and taking out at wickersham creek and hiking the 20mi back to the wickersham dome lot off the road. would we have enough time? we don't have the $ for an air p/u so that's outta the question. any other suggestions anybody may have as to this route or additional trips would be greatly appreciated. as well as any other info you may have about floating beaver creek.

thanks,
    chris

That trail is a winter trail for a reason, it runs through mostly bog, nasty, muddy sink up to your knees bog. That would be a wonderful trip with a fly out. Why not Birch Creek instead, you can do that one road to road.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    That trail is a winter trail for a reason, it runs through mostly bog, nasty, muddy sink up to your knees bog. That would be a wonderful trip with a fly out. Why not Birch Creek instead, you can do that one road to road.

Steve
    thanks for the heads-up. would you suggest any particular section of birch creek that coincides with the time we have available? i've never floated it. thanks again.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by crmcd79 View Post
    thanks for the heads-up. would you suggest any particular section of birch creek that coincides with the time we have available? i've never floated it. thanks again.

chris
    I have never floated Birch, but there are tons written about it. I have floated that stretch of Beaver many times and have walked some of that trail in the fall before freeze up and it was nasty.

Call Wrights Air a flight out from The Borealis Cabin strip is fairly cheap one way. That is a nice float to ruin with a death march to get out.
    Founding Member

uh uh...don't do it, bro. That trail, as stated, is a winter trail only. Man, those bogs in August would be 6 feet deep...

Also, don't put-in at Nome Creek. A burn changed the dynamics of that option about 7 years ago. Folks use Ophir Creek put-in now, road goes right to the creek channel, then a short stretch and you're onto Beaver. If you use Nome Creek, you'll fight feld blowdowns for 2 days trying to get to Ophir Creek area.

You can do the Beaver Creek option in 4 days, take out at Victoria strip for about $600 from Wright Air, back to the road.

Don't try Birch in 4 days, you'll get about 65 miles IN and have another 60 miles to go to reach the take-out. Takes about 50 hours in August, on the sticks the whole time.

Hope this helps, bud.

larry

appreciate the input guys; i wasn't aware that it was winter only. are there any established trails to get back to the road, off birch? ones that would allow for this time frame?

With limited time and funds I would suggest the chena river lots of road accesable stretches with great grayling fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    With limited time and funds I would suggest the chena river lots of road accesable stretches with great grayling fishing.
    With time and money limits I would also recommend the upper Chena. Beautiful float and if you did not hear a car once in a while you would never know you were near a road.

Founding Member

thanks for the replies. wishful thinking on my part i suppose. although i enjoy the chena, i was kind of hoping for something new. and some rainbow fishing.

thanks for the replies. wishful thinking on my part i suppose. although i enjoy the chena, i was kind of hoping for something new. and some rainbow fishing.

I have fished Beaver a lot and never caught anything but Grayling.
    Founding Member

There is no rainbows in birch or beaver creek. you need to head south of there.

agreed, no rainbows in freshwater streams north of the Alaska Range, to my knowledge.

what about off the denali hwy, any decent floats for that amount of time? or good lakes to hike back into and possibly float out? and maybe i missed it, but did you guys know if there were any regularly used trails coming off of birch creek that lead back to the road, trails before the 0mi marker take-out?

i should've rephrased that as i had read that there weren't any rainbows in either beaver or birch; i intended to ask to ask an additional question within that post. what about off the denali hwy, any decent floats for that amount of time? or good lakes to hike back into and possibly float out? fairly new to the area hence all of the questions.
    Research the Tangle lakes float, sounds like what you might be looking for.
    Founding Member

no formal trails, but there are a few off-river options to reach roads to get you back to circle hotsprings (Central, AK). Look on your topos to see where the dirt roads lead close to Birch Creek near Pitka's Bar. You'll have to pack yo shiz up and over about 2-3 miles to reach the road, then hike 6 hours back to the vehicle. not an ideal scenarios IMO after a long float.

Denali Hwy has a lot of places to fish for grayling, but that's about it. boney creeks with semi-rugged hiking to get back to the road.

try the Gulkana from paxson lake down the Gulkana to the middle fork confluence, then hike back about 8 miles to the hwy. great grayling fishing down a class II character stretch for about 1.5 hours (4-5 hours with fishing), then fish the confluence of the middle fork for rainbows and sockeye late june/july. decent option for beginners. give ya a taste of adventure to get your alaska legs broken in.

larry

Another option that gets high praise - lot's of info on this float.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...end-well-spent

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Another option that gets high praise - lot's of info on this float.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...end-well-spent
    That is the one I was referring to.
    Founding Member

we were considering putting in at nome creek and taking out at wickersham creek and hiking the 20mi back to the wickersham dome lot off the road. would we have enough time? we don't have the $ for an air p/u so that's outta the question. any other suggestions anybody may have as to this route or additional trips would be greatly appreciated. as well as any other info you may have about floating beaver creek.
    Hopefully this response is not too late, but from the Wickersham creek area there are two trails head to the wickersham dome parking lot. The wickersham creek trail is a winter trail and a mess in the summer, though passible. The Summit Trail is a bit longer (20 or so miles) and is great hiking once you get a mile or so away from the river. I have done this trip from the put-in at the end of Nome Creek/US Creek road to the Wickersham dome trailhead several times. It is sort of a classic Fairbanks packrafting trip and lots of folks do it. The floating time on Beaver creek to where you would take out varies a lot - I think the fastest I have done it was 8 hours of floating, the slowest around 13 hours of floating. The hike out is roughly 20 miles. It is a fairly nice trip. Beaver creek is pretty mellow, with no white water to speak of. There is a cabin that you can book with BLM near where you will want to take out.

I wouldn't want to try this trip with anything heaver than a packraft.

BLM has a float guide to beaver creek here: http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc...our_visit.html

You can find more details about the cabin reservations here:
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/content/ak...hite_mtns.html

And details on the summit trail can be found here:
    http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/trav...ev_068146.html

Just one important note - make sure you don't miss the takeout for summit trail/wickersham creek trail - if you go beyond that point there are not a lot of pleasant options for walking out. The trail is not easy to see from the river. Also, about a 3/4 of a mile from the river the summer trail cuts away to the north - don't miss that cutoff as the winter trail will be wet hiking.

Some photos:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jec; 05-08-2012 at 17:05. Reason: Added photos.

appreciate the info!