Thread: Looking to upgrade is it worth the $$$

Default Looking to upgrade is it worth the $$$

I am looking to upgrade my hunting binoculars to something better. I am looking for something in 10X42. I currently have buris fullfield II's that i have had for several years but i think it is time to up grade!!! I am not really experienced with all the different brands so looking for some one with some knowledge to point me in the right direction. From what i think i know Swarovski's are the best and i would like to have a set but are they really worth the $2499.00 for the swarovision? Can i get something better or comparible for less $$$ Or what would you guys suggest for hunting and long days of glassing??? Any help would be great. Thanks

I'm not an optics expert, but I'll put in my two cents here. If at all possible, try a few pairs out before you decide. My eyes personally do not agree with the Swarovisions at all, despite the price. Great image if I'm holding still, but panning makes me seasick.

Lots of binoculars will be an upgrade over the Burris's you are using now. There is some really nice japanese glass out there as well as some excellent european stuff that isn't one of the big 3. What is "worth it" to you is going to really depend on your disposable income, how much you really use it AND how good your eyes are. The gap between the $600-1200 binoculars and the $2000+ models is small enough that I can't see it with my eyes, although I know some people can.

In my opinion, the most important things in hunting binoculars is that they are durable, have good resolution, and are comfortable to look through all day. I have had very poor luck with any Asian (non-japanese) optics as far a durability goes, so even though the glass can sometimes be very good, I will no longer buy them.

I'm currently using a set of german Minox HG's that I really like so far. Solid construction and easy on the eye's. Also been impressed with the Vortex Viper HD's for having great resolution and the Razors are supposed to be even better. Other ones I would look at would be the better grades of Nikons, Meopta (or identical Cabelas Euro's), and possibly the Kowa's if I could find a set to look through. They should all be able to provide an excellent set of hunting glass. The only way you are going to be able to tell what you like is by trying them.

If you have the cash to spend, I suspect the Zeiss Victory and the Swaro SLC HD would be good comparisons to what you are looking at now.

Yk

Vortex Vipers 10X42 or 10X50. Both nice and light weight......... Very clear and weather resistant. IMO

Thanks for the input. I agree it won't be to hard to out do the burris i am using now. At the time they were what i could afford and they did the job. But now i want to upgrade and i don't want to have to do it again. I am of the mind set that if i buy semi good now later on i will pay for it by having to replace them down the road. Kinda like with the burris. I know when i go into purchase i will have to look and see what feels best for me i just want to do my home work prior to. I have not heard much about vortex or the name until recently. Does any body have and background on them or anything bad...or good to say about them? Seems they have really came up in popularity recently and they have an awsome warranty....

If you're upgrading to primo glass, the $2,500 Swarovskis are probably overkill. You can buy a Porsche for $30,000 or $250,000. It is still a Porsche, know what I mean? You can either get slightly used Swarovskis or the non "HD" for about $1,500-1,700 and they will still outclass anything else. If you have big money to blow, go for it. Otherwise get the less expensive ones. They absolutely are worth it. While I have a pair of excellent $500 german glass binos, the $1500 10x32 Swaros that I got at Sportsmans two years ago are way better!

Have a close look at PENTAX. I've had 10x42 DCF SP's for 5 or 6 years or more that are fantastic. Since I bought them Vortecs and Minox came out so I can't comment on them. The PENTAX DCF SP ED's are a newer model than mine and are are stellar. If I were going to buy binos tomorrow it would the the 8x42 DCF SP ED's. My buddy has a pair and I have spent time comparing the two. 8x is easier to hold still and the ED glass doesn't seem do have as much glare when looking towards the sun when it's low in the sky. Also, less chromatic aberration when looking at objects like on a ridgeline. The PENTAX's are waterproof, shockproof, light and have a lifetime guarantee. Check out Cameraland for a deal.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again