Thread: thru hull 1kw for garmin

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default thru hull 1kw for garmin

I cut a 3 3/4 inch hole thru the bottom of the Fishy Fishy for my new 1kw bronze thru hull, we found water in the foam of the hull, it was very disappointing to say the least, for a new Ocean Roamer(2008), whose claim to fame is a hull that does not absorb water! I was in a the haul out cradle and was to get launched on the next tide after I put the thru hull in, the manufature advised to "5 minute epoxy" the hole to stop the water then 4200 the ducer in place. No response to see if this water in hull was under warrenty, very disappointed.

The good news is a better sounder with the 1kw ducer hooked to the GSD24, no lost bottom in 300 plus feet of water, king trolling by mid week!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I cut a 3 3/4 inch hole thru the bottom of the Fishy Fishy for my new 1kw bronze thru hull, we found water in the foam of the hull, it was very disappointing to say the least, for a new Ocean Roamer(2008), whose claim to fame is a hull that does not absorb water! I was in a the haul out cradle and was to get launched on the next tide after I put the thru hull in, the manufature advised to "5 minute epoxy" the hole to stop the water then 4200 the ducer in place. No response to see if this water in hull was under warrenty, very disappointed.

The good news is a better sounder with the 1kw ducer hooked to the GSD24, no lost bottom in 300 plus feet of water, king trolling by mid week!
    Is the thru-hull transducer the way to go?...i've been thinking of putting one in my boat, but can't like the idea of cutting/having a hole in by hull!...bummer about the water in the foam, that adds a bunch of un-wanted weight!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Is the thru-hull transducer the way to go?...i've been thinking of putting one in my boat, but can't like the idea of cutting/having a hole in by hull!...bummer about the water in the foam, that adds a bunch of un-wanted weight!
    that is the way to go, is your boat fiberglass? putting a thru hull in was easy, but the planning and "unexpected issues" are what were challenging. drill angle between the sandwiched foam had to be good so that the bronze thru hull sat flush to the bottom of the boat. Then would the ducer recieve any tubalance from lifting stracks on hull? plus would the ducer sit on a bunk or roller on the trailer?
    www.kodiakcombos.com

We just a have a plain-jane, transom-mount P66 transducer (600W) on our Furuno FCV-620. We regularly maintain bottom in over 700-feet of water at 30mph! The display is fuzzy, but the bottom depth stays accurate to crazy depths at cruise speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Is the thru-hull transducer the way to go?...i've been thinking of putting one in my boat, but can't like the idea of cutting/having a hole in by hull!
    Until fairly recently, higher end 1kW transducers weren't a really good option as a transom mount. They had huge, cumbersome mounting fixtures. Airmar has introduced some newer transom-mount transducers (TM258, TM260) that have addressed that, though. The electronics are the same at their thru-hull cousins, but they have much more user friendly mounts than their predecessors.

[QUOTE=kodiakcombo;1112392]I cut a 3 3/4 inch hole thru the bottom of the Fishy Fishy for my new 1kw bronze thru hull, we found water in the foam of the hull, it was very disappointing to say the least, for a new Ocean Roamer(2008), whose claim to fame is a hull that does not absorb water! I was in a the haul out cradle and was to get launched on the next tide after I put the thru hull in, the manufature advised to "5 minute epoxy" the hole to stop the water then 4200 the ducer in place. No response to see if this water in hull was under warrenty, very disappointed.

You need to oversize the hole in a cored hull then dig out the core(a allen wrench in a drill works great to dig out the core material) then fill the hole with fiberglass or epoxy putty, let dry then drill the correct size for the 'ducer. A fairing block cut to the angle of the hull should be used on the bottom of the hull to position the 'ducer.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=potbuilder;1112608]

You need to oversize the hole in a cored hull then dig out the core(a allen wrench in a drill works great to dig out the core material) then fill the hole with fiberglass or epoxy putty, let dry then drill the correct size for the 'ducer. A fairing block cut to the angle of the hull should be used on the bottom of the hull to position the 'ducer.
    THe builder said the hull was strong enough to just 4200 like a solid hull, then I called him and told him about the water in the foam thats when he told me to use a epoxy to stop the water. we used a router bit in a drill and it went quick and even. we used a flush low profile tilted element.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

[QUOTE=kodiakcombo;1112618]
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post

THe builder said the hull was strong enough to just 4200 like a solid hull, then I called him and told him about the water in the foam thats when he told me to use a epoxy to stop the water. we used a router bit in a drill and it went quick and even. we used a flush low profile tilted element.
    I'd be checking any other through hull fittings to see if the core was wet also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

that sucks jeff....especially the price you pay for them boats...i have to say that's whats always made me nervous about the foam in the hull. wish they'd just build them the old solid way

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    that sucks jeff....especially the price you pay for them boats...i have to say that's whats always made me nervous about the foam in the hull. wish they'd just build them the old solid way
    Ya I heard what I wanted to hear, that was a main point for going with this hull, now with water in the foam it nullifies the reason for choosing it. I'll contact the builder again an see what they will do to rectify the situation.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

talked with builder and they doubt that there is more than a table spoon of water in the hull, we put the boat on a trailer and copper painted and didnt see any water leaking out anywhere. I think the water came from water in bilge threw screw hole holdfing bilge pump down. The foam is closed cell PVC and does not absorb water, I owned several whalers and find that hard to believe but that is the claim from the builder"colsed cell PVC does not absorb water". I was advised not to cut holes in hull to dry it, as it was not nesesary.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Whats going to happen when/if that water freezes and starts to pop the glass loose from it? I've heard of some real nightmares with cores delaminating on boats back east where it doesn't get as cold as here. You might want to find someone with a good moisture meter and go over the hull before things get out of hand. You've got too nice a rig there to let it go to poop.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

that is the way to go, is your boat fiberglass? putting a thru hull in was easy, but the planning and "unexpected issues" are what were challenging. drill angle between the sandwiched foam had to be good so that the bronze thru hull sat flush to the bottom of the boat. Then would the ducer recieve any tubalance from lifting stracks on hull? plus would the ducer sit on a bunk or roller on the trailer?
    My boat is aluminun so I wouldn't want to use bronze, but a S.S. ducer would work good!

Since your boat is aluminum you don't need to make a hole in your hull. You can shoot through it. There has been lots of discussions about this on here in the past.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

This is from a thread i've been following on another site it was posted by one of the boat builders in Maine it might give you a idea on how to properly deal with sealing the hole for the transducer so it doesn't soak up any more water into the core.

"If it was my boat I would mount the rails where I wanted them with screws (really easy to do, just drill and countersink the rail material then drive a #14 self tapping square drive into the hull), remove the rail, drill through with a 1/4" bit, go on the interior of the hull with a 1-1/2" hole saw and cut through the interior laminate, pop out the plug with a screwdriver (5/16" common works well with about a 6-8" shank), clean up the hole really nice and vacuum the debris out, put blue tape over the holes on the exterior and hot coat the holes on the inside, I might even put two layers of mat in the holes just to get a really nice seal and new surface for the fasteners, drill the 1/4" holes for the fasteners and with the aid of a helper thru-bolt the rails back in place with some machine screws, bedding them into Rule 300 clear sealant. Have a 1-1/4" fender washer on the inside along with a locknut. Trim any excess threads off and fill the void with putty. Make fair and glass over the holes. Easy peasy. "

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default photos of low profile ducer

Cutting a hole in your hull is intimidating but when you watch you tube and do several dry runs at the process it is pretty easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Cutting a hole in your hull is intimidating but when you watch you tube and do several dry runs at the process it is pretty easy.
    Here is a flush mount of a 1kw ducer, no more getting the ducer kicked up in kelp or going thru ice!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com