Thread: Moose hunting 20B and 25C

Default Moose hunting 20B and 25C

I am planning on hunting up the Steese highway for moose September 2012. I have not hunted this area before. I was wondering if anyone had hunted this area had any sugestions or tips on where to go or not. I am also wondering what the moose popeulations are like in the area and maturity of bulls. Also wondering if this are is jam packed with people. If you have any other suggestions of a better area for a couple of guys with and atv and willing to hike for a moose let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

My experience is in 25c any bull area you shoot the first one you see. I have seen up to 5 bulls in a week and usually 2 or 3 per week of hunting. Sometimes we se no one sometimes several groups in our hunting area. I think unit twenty five has a very low population compared to unit 20 .

20b has a longer season.Some of that country looks 4 wheeler friendly. Probably some other folks around. Call the area bio and get info from him.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I agree with fshgde. Not many moose in the White mtns but there are some. Lotsa ATV trails! This video will give you a pretty good idea of the lay of the land. Plenty of glassing areas for sure.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for the info. What would you say the avaerage bull is if you are seeing up to 5 bulls a week? under 40'' or over?

The average bull size we see is spike or 36 inchers we see very few 50 and over but the little ones eat best.

They do indeed. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    The average bull size we see is spike or 36 inchers we see very few 50 and over but the little ones eat best.

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    The 36ers I've shot or been in on were mature animals, good fat and good meat. Spikes don't build the fat, it seems, that the more mature animals have. Sure enjoyed packing the one yearling I shot years ago.........but it wasn't as flavorful as an older animal.

Looks, on the map, like there's several trails up the Elliot that get a guy into the 20/25 border area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I know this is kind of getting to be a little bit too much information for some people to give out and I am not asking for any specific areas just trying to get ideas. If you’re not comfortable posting it you can email me. I appreciate the information though. How far back in from the road do you think a guy should plan on going?

The moose could be anywhere from roadside in... the hunters will start thinning out if you plan one full of day to travel in to camp, set up camp, and hunt from there. The vast majority of guys will be road warriors, which limits the areas they hunt to fairly close to the road.

A couple reconnaissance missions would give you a better idea on what you'd be dealing with.

In the video I posted, the Fairbanks/Circle trail is 60+ miles long, almost parrallelling the Steese. Could be an option..

As mentioned before, the Elliott highway has a few trails also.

Try to stay south of the Steese and west of the Elliott for higher moose populations.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for the info! I plan to be off the beaten path and away from the crowds and the road warriors.I would love to do some reconnaissance missions but unfortunatley I am out of the country for awhile and will have to just wing it when i go up and hope for the best......thanks for the video as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    The moose could be anywhere from roadside in... the hunters will start thinning out if you plan one full of day to travel in to camp, set up camp, and hunt from there. The vast majority of guys will be road warriors, which limits the areas they hunt to fairly close to the road.

A couple reconnaissance missions would give you a better idea on what you'd be dealing with.

In the video I posted, the Fairbanks/Circle trail is 60+ miles long, almost parrallelling the Steese. Could be an option..

As mentioned before, the Elliott highway has a few trails also.

Try to stay south of the Steese and west of the Elliott for higher moose populations.

We hunt the Steese coridor every year, & YES there is LOTS of people to have to hunt around.

We had 8 different quads come through our camp in one day last year.

The Moose are very hard to spot because its realy thick cover.

I walked in on a moose last year & could hear him walk off but couldnt see him.

Anywhere along any road system will have lots of pressure from trail & road hunters until you get over about 8 miles from the roads.

My advise is get on one of the good trails like Montana creak or Nome creek & get back in as far as your quad will get you.

If you dont mind the people & want to see a bunch of moose , Fairbanks Creek is a good place. Realy open for spotting from a long way out . We saw over 20 dead moose come out of there in one season & thats just the ones we saw come by camp.

Or bring up a boat & go across the Tanana River & hunt the sloughs or better yet the Wood river. Super nice moose come out of there every year.

As for what sizes of moose you will see up here, Lots under 40 inches.

Because of 20b being a any Antler Moose area, Most folks just shoot the first animal we see because we are looking to fill the freezers fast. Yes there are some trophy Moose up here too but you probably wont see one of the 60 inch class out close to the road system.

Most of the Large moose we get in for mounting are from, Wood River, The Yukon,& the Nenana river area.

Good luck,

RJ Simington