Thread: Fishing in Seward in August?

Default Fishing in Seward in August?

Hello, I'm from Ohio and I'm taking a trip to Alaska this summer August 8-17. I was hoping for any information on the fishing in the area from land that we could do? We already have a charter booked for halibut/salmon/lingcod. Just any info on what to use or lures to bring along? Also would a medium action rod be enough for the salmon? Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

here in South Central Pixie's and dare devils are two of my favorite lures. various makes of spinners.. size 3 to 5 for coho. Medium action rod works fine for coho and pinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    here in South Central Pixie's and dare devils are two of my favorite lures. various makes of spinners.. size 3 to 5 for coho. Medium action rod works fine for coho and pinks.
    Being he is from OHIO I am not sure the rod he is refering to is big enough. A rod used for Bass is not really going to work for Salmon (Expericene talking). The charters have the gear and I suggest he book another one for salmon. Or he can get a rod here that will work. Not sure if they rent rods Seward.............. I am glad to see he is doing his homework though.

Quote Originally Posted by Natecarey18 View Post
    Hello, I'm from Ohio and I'm taking a trip to Alaska this summer August 8-17. I was hoping for any information on the fishing in the area from land that we could do? We already have a charter booked for halibut/salmon/lingcod. Just any info on what to use or lures to bring along? Also would a medium action rod be enough for the salmon? Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

I like to Vibrax lures myself for pinks/silvers and always have pretty decent luck. I am also not sure if they rent rods but if you needed to pick one up there is a couple of places in town that could help you find what you are looking for.

The prefefered method is snaging Seward. Get a Shashepeare Uglestick. When you get to Seward buy some snagging hooks.All these are legal.

Thanks guys for the information that alone helps a lot. And Fishking what would you say would be adequate for just the river fishing? I know the salmon can get much bigger than the walleye or bass around here, but a medium ugly stick wouldn't do it?

A medium weight ugly stick up here is typically 8.5' long. This gives a bit of castability and some leverage for fighting salmon sized fish. The short handle of a 5.5' medium weight bass rod will make it difficult to put pressure on a salmon. Lots of guys do it, its just not optimal. If you have the choice go with a 8.5' medium weight ugly stick. (my opinion, there will be others...)

as long as your not going for kings any medium weight rod will do the trick... dont listen to these guys... ive caught every species -kings on the cheapest-most expensive medium action rods.... any medium action rod you have will do the trick... not to mention the lighter the tackle the more fun the catch

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    as long as your not going for kings any medium weight rod will do the trick... dont listen to these guys... ive caught every species -kings on the cheapest-most expensive medium action rods.... any medium action rod you have will do the trick... not to mention the lighter the tackle the more fun the catch
    Yup........I use light gear for silvers, makes it more fun and can still handle a pretty big one......

Appreciate the help guys, never fished for salmon before so it will be a completely new experience.