Thread: Pressure on Commercial fishing?

Default Pressure on Commercial fishing?

http://www.adn.com/2012/04/23/243635...stainable.html

Could this be how the commfish guys are going to be "regulated"?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Supply and demand . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Could this be how the commfish guys are going to be "regulated"?
    Mike

What do you mean by "how," Mike?

Certifiably sustainable? Certified by whom? Fresh as opposed to frozen? Certifiably wild? All those factors were mentioned in the article.

Given informed choice, a free market always regulates supply.

I haven't seen the packaging or even bought a piece of fish in years. Surprised me that it even went that far in describing the fish and manner of harvest. But I imagine even the fast food fish sandwiches demand will keep the trawlers in business for a long time. As to if the public can make an informed choice, is there a recognized standard for "organic" produce yet?
    Mike
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Default Dumb diets . . .

I haven't seen the packaging or even bought a piece of fish in years. Surprised me that it even went that far in describing the fish and manner of harvest. But I imagine even the fast food fish sandwiches demand will keep the trawlers in business for a long time. As to if the public can make an informed choice, is there a recognized standard for "organic" produce yet?
    Mike
    Dunno, Mike, but the very fact that something like WholeFoods exists is indicative of huge changes afoot in American eating habits. That and the proliferation of farmer's markets, Michael Pollan's books, and much more signal greater changes to come.

In the meantime, we have folks willing to indulge the oxymoron of "fast food." Ever watch the video "Supersize Me"? I think the people who sell crap like McDonald's, Arbys, and the like should be held criminally liable for false advertising . . that stuff isn't food, it's junk, and, along with other dietary idiocies, it is killing us.

I would be hard pressed to argue over the nutritional value of fast food. Although the french fries did taste better before they were "fixed" :-) The point being that we have enough processed fish products available to mitigate the effectiveness of a consumer revolt.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

. . we have enough processed fish products available to mitigate the effectiveness of a consumer revolt. . .
    Mike, not sure I understand your meaning here, how this pans out . . explain, please? . .

On the french fry thing, McDonald's french fries tasted so good because there was a percentage of beef tallow in their cooking oil. When it was removed for health reasons, McDonald's replaced it with a chemical designed to imitate the taste.

Check it out: http://www.rense.com/general7/whyy.htm They really ought to be in jail.

I was thinking when I OPed that consumer pressure might help "clean up" some of the comm fish waste and damage issues. Mostly I was thinking of trawlers and the reported damage they do.
    After some thought (which, unlike what some on the board may belive, I actually do :-) ) I realized that the global market is just to big to be influenced by this. In the higher end stores, the consumer can justify the price increases to themselves as "doing their part". The producers can just point to the label to justify the higher pricing (and I will lay any amount of money on this happening). So the high end consumer will set themselves up for paying more for the same thing they are getting now.
    The fast food places and the rest of the world will just go on as they are now, using the vast majority of the harvest - no matter how it is caught and processed.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Question Still confused . . .

I was thinking when I OPed that consumer pressure might help "clean up" some of the comm fish waste and damage issues. Mostly I was thinking of trawlers and the reported damage they do.
    After some thought (which, unlike what some on the board may belive, I actually do :-) ) I realized that the global market is just to big to be influenced by this. In the higher end stores, the consumer can justify the price increases to themselves as "doing their part". The producers can just point to the label to justify the higher pricing (and I will lay any amount of money on this happening). So the high end consumer will set themselves up for paying more for the same thing they are getting now.
    The fast food places and the rest of the world will just go on as they are now, using the vast majority of the harvest - no matter how it is caught and processed.
    Mike
    Mike, yes, I think [some] consumers are increasingly sensitive to the sustainability of a particular fishery, but whether there are enough of them to influence the market is another story . . probably not.

But I still don't understand exactly what you're saying, particularly the sentence in bold . . can you explain? What exactly, what product is being "labeled"? What does the label say?