Thread: Twist and bullet weight question..

Default Twist and bullet weight question..

I have a Savage Predator 22-250 with a rate of twist of 12....what bullet weight range would stabilize best with that rate ..? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated....

I shoot a 700 Rem. in 22-250 not sure what the twist rate is on it. I tried several different bullets through this gun and it shot 53 gr. Sierra's the best. I shot from 45 gr to 55 gr in it in several different makes of bullet. H380 and Varget seemed to be the best powders for my gun.

Each rifle is different but IMO 45-60 grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Each rifle is different but IMO 45-60 grains.
    +1 on this. I would expect lighter weight bullets to better in that rifle. You might even try 40 grains.

I've found the hornady 50 gr v-max shoots extremely well out of 1-12 and 1-14 twist barrels (also 1-9 and 1-8 ar's), it's a good starting point.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Length is the factor so bullet construction matters as much as weight. Tough to do much better than 50-55 grain jacketed bullets for your rifle. The 40s will scream along and jacketed lead core 60-64 grain bullets should shoot just fine, but a 1:12 inch 22-250 is begging for a 50-55 grain V-Max IME. Can't argue with your powder selections.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

In the .22-250, I'd add RL-15 to the list of "good" powders to try.

I am a huge fan of Varget in my Remington. 55 grain Combined Technology Ballistic silver tips have been my go to bullet. 35 grains of varget and sub .50 at 100 yds. I found the lighter bullets to not be consistant with my rifle.

Well....at the risk of significant disagreement, I will say this again.

To stabilize a bullet we need a certain twist rate for a bullet of a certain length. Also needed here is enough velocity (with this twist rate) to spin this bullet at enough surface-feet-per-minute (RPM*c) to stabilize the bullet in flight. We can give up twist rate and add velocity to make this formula work. The 22-250, which shoots the same bullets as the 223 (5.56x45) can stabilize bullets with a lower twist rate because its velocity is higher than can be achieved by the 223.

Officially any bullet longer than the 60 grain hollow point will need a faster twist than 1 in 12" for the 22-250. Sierra's 60 grain HP does work well in the 22-250 with a 1 in 12" twist.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Up to 55 gr and that is a stretch. Better with lighter. 45 to 50 would be better. 60 will not shoot.