Thread: Garden soil boxes are thawed, time for the onion sets

Default Garden soil boxes are thawed, time for the onion sets

Planted my onion sets today. The soil boxes were thawed & i had 3 bags of sets in the fridge.
    Figured they'd do better in the garden than in the fridge.
    They are like any other bulb, get them in as soon as the ground thaws.
    Threw in some compost, mixed the soil, & planted, no need for water, the soil is plenty wet.
    Covered 1/2 of the bed, may keep them a bit warmer at night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The onions in the outside raised bed are starting to pop thru the soil.
    I see some of the lilies & other flowers popping thru in the flower beds too.

Mudbuddy
    Thanks for that tip.. I would have waited til mid May to put anything in the ground outside the GH.. But on your tip I planted onion sets and some garlic cloves.. and now I have some of each coming up.. so I'm 2 or 3 weeks ahead there... I've got about 2/3 of my tomatoes moved out to the GH... kept about 1/3 back in the house "just in case" so far 34 is the coolest night we've had in the green house so still covering everything in there.

Glad it worked for you, I've had onions that I missed in the fall start sprouting before the soil is thawed in April.
    Tomatoes are a bit more sensitive. I'm glad you didn't lose any. I don't think they will bloom at these temps but the roots are growing so when it gets a few degrees warmer at night, they'll really grow fast.

I think the radiant heat off the water buckets & other stuff in the GH gives off enough heat to help keep it above freezing the few hours needed.
    If they forecast much colder than 28, I get nervous.
    If I had some spinach, kale & brocc ready, I'd plant a few in the garden now just to see if they could make it.
    I have some brocc. & cab. I just re-potted into 4" pots. I may put a few out next week & risk a few to see how hardy they are.
    One year I put some plants out May 9th & they made it.

They are calling for a low of about 25 in Anchorage tonight. Hope they are wrong !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    They are calling for a low of about 25 in Anchorage tonight. Hope they are wrong !!!!!!
    As of 7 AM the temp inside my GH was 24F. Fortunately before I turned in last night I hung black garbage sacks over each tomatoe plant and they look alright still. Unfortunately the wife's tulips and dafodils were just starting to bloom, and they aren't looking too good this morning. Hopefully this sunshine will perk them back up.

Last night I put a 1500 watt elect heater in the GH, forecast to get to 25.
    Temp recorder for last night said it got down to 18. (out side temp)
    I was afraid to go to the GH.
    Lost some of the small potted plants that were close to the walls, but not many from what I see now WHEW!!!! Got lucky.
    As it warms up I'll see if I got more damage, maybe the ones laying over will make it.
    Much colder & the small heater would not have kept it above freezing.

Forecast to be colder tonight, Electric blankets ??? Maybe I'll sleep out there & have an inside camp fire.
    I'll huddle all the potted plants together & cover everything tonight, maybe even the outside garden onion bed.
    Some of the 1" tall garden onions look like the tips got burned but the ones just poking thru look OK.
    GH was up to 50 at 0830.

John : glad you saved your toms.

Crazy Alaska gardeners, we got spoiled with the above freezing nights. I was almost ready to plant the garden. Some of the birch trees here are leafing out. They got fooled too. LOL
    The extra effort will be worth it when we get ripe tomatoes in July, they'll taste even better

Worst that can happen is I have to replant, Hope not. but my spare tomatoes are coming inside the house tonight.
    Guess we have to have some excitement, Babying them thru this cold snap is challenging but will be worth it

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Last night I put a 1500 watt elect heater in the GH, forecast to get to 25.
    Temp recorder for last night said it got down to 18. (out side temp)
    I was afraid to go to the GH.
    Lost some of the small potted plants that were close to the walls, but not many from what I see now WHEW!!!! Got lucky.
    As it warms up I'll see if I got more damage, maybe the ones laying over will make it.
    Much colder & the small heater would not have kept it above freezing.

Forecast to be colder tonight, Electric blankets ??? Maybe I'll sleep out there & have an inside camp fire.
    I'll huddle all the potted plants together & cover everything tonight, maybe even the outside garden onion bed.
    Some of the 1" tall garden onions look like the tips got burned but the ones just poking thru look OK.
    GH was up to 50 at 0830.

John : glad you saved your toms.

Crazy Alaska gardeners, we got spoiled with the above freezing nights. I was almost ready to plant the garden. Some of the birch trees here are leafing out. They got fooled too. LOL
    The extra effort will be worth it when we get ripe tomatoes in July, they'll taste even better

Worst that can happen is I have to replant, Hope not. but my spare tomatoes are coming inside the house tonight.
    Guess we have to have some excitement, Babying them thru this cold snap is challenging but will be worth it

Good luck.
    It got down to 30 in my GH last night. Everything was covered up and looks to be alright this morning. I don't know as the 25 degrees Tues night killed my biggest Tom, it's looking pretty sick right now. The damage will probably make it unproductive. Thankfully I have a replacement.

Sometimes it is just better to bring the plants into the house on cold nights. I know it's a pain - but what is the risk. I have been there and lost everything here on a 19 degree night when my heater failed.

I'm glad I had the heater, I put it in around 11 PM (the cold night)when the outside temp got to 26.
    Was working with a head lamp but I managed to save almost everything.
    Have been running the heater since, for the past few nights, but I think it will be OK if we stay above 30 at night.
    I only lost a few potted garden plants.
    Cost $$ of Tomatoes & cucs will be higher this year with a little higher electric bill

I can't bring my plants in, they are in soil boxes. A similar set up to the AK buckets under the boxes hooked to a float valve watering system so I can leave for a few days & not worry about watering the GH.
    Room for 10 toms, some cucs & pepper plant. Few minute ago pic:

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I'm glad I had the heater, I put it in around 11 PM (the cold night)when the outside temp got to 26.
    Was working with a head lamp but I managed to save almost everything.
    Have been running the heater since, for the past few nights, but I think it will be OK if we stay above 30 at night.
    I only lost a few potted garden plants.
    Cost $$ of Tomatoes & cucs will be higher this year with a little higher electric bill

I can't bring my plants in, they are in soil boxes. A similar set up to the AK buckets under the boxes hooked to a float valve watering system so I can leave for a few days & not worry about watering the GH.
    Room for 10 toms, some cucs & pepper plant. Few minute ago pic:
    Brought my cucs back in the house for last night. Temp bottomed out at 33 in my GH. My cucs were in need of being transplanted into something bigger, so I put them in their planters. I'll simply do the indoor/GH shuffle for awhile. I'm thinking of going to look for a little portable propane or kerosene heater..

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Brought my cucs back in the house for last night. Temp bottomed out at 33 in my GH. My cucs were in need of being transplanted into something bigger, so I put them in their planters. I'll simply do the indoor/GH shuffle for awhile. I'm thinking of going to look for a little portable propane or kerosene heater..
    A propane heater would be great. It would increase the CO2 level in the GH, plants love CO2.
    Tests with CO2 generators, (small propane or NG burners) has shown a significant increase in plant growth.