Thread: Fishing Fairbanks

Default Fishing Fairbanks

Hello Everyone. I am planing on transferring to UAF in about 2 years and I plan on staying there all summer even after classes end. I want to gain residency up there in Alaska after or even before graduation if possible so i thought it would be best if I went to college there and got used to living in a different place in a college atmosphere instead of just diving into the "real world". I just wanted to know what the fishing is like up there in the summer in the Fairbanks area. What kinds of fish species are there, is the fishing good, are there plenty of places to fish? If you could add some general info about this topic I would appreciate it as well. Just a simple question I wanted to ask, sitting in my Pittsburgh house dreaming of Alaska.

Thanks a lot,
    Bjennings2012

While the fishing around Fairbanks is not as good as some places, you can still find something to pull your line.

Minto Flats and area ponds and sloughs have nice Pike.

The chena and Salcha have Grayling and Salmon.

The Delta Clear Water has Grayling and Salmon as well.

Plenty of stocked local lakes and ponds.

Welcome and have fun.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Stid for the pictures and info. Its nice to see what people are talking about instead of just having to take their word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjennings2012 View Post
    Thanks Stid for the pictures and info. Its nice to see what people are talking about instead of just having to take their word for it.
    I really enjoy fly fishing and there is excellent grayling fishing in many areas around Fairbanks. Delta Clearwater, Upper Chena, Chatanika, ect. As stid2677 there are many stocked lakes as well. I used to camp all around Chena Hot Springs road and catch plenty of rainbows/grayling. In addition, salmon will run through the rivers later in the season. Overall, a great place for fishing!

The current set of regs says that if the thought of catching a salmon upstream of the Moose Creek dam even crosses your mind, you're in for a spanking. That said, it's pretty cool to watch them.

It's pretty much catch-and-release for grayling on flowing water around the Chena (including sloughs) but you can keep one grayling/day on the Chatanika. I'm really looking forward to chasing pike this summer. Rainbows have gotten pretty scarce in the ponds up CHSR but there are tons of grayling in them. I haven't fished at Twin Bears because there's always people there but I understand they restocked it with rainbows last year.

Hey! Nobody mentioned burbot.

"Rainbows have gotten pretty scarce in the ponds up CHSR but there are tons of grayling in them."

Very true, most of the lakes do have plenty of grayling and for the most part they will attack just about any fly or small spinner!

What Steve said...good pictorial. My favorite is Delta Clearwater Grayling, however there is plenty of great river and lake fishing all over the Interior region. Highway Angler book is a great tool to explore the roadside access available areas.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

The guys have pretty well covered it but do want to mention that some of the sites are quite a bit away from "Fairbanks". It's 2 hours to Delta, and a good trip to Minto as well (fly-in I think but someone can correct me). When I was first coming up 6 years ago I was surprised by this as I had heard of this fun fishing but was surprised by the distance to go. Over time you will learn that Alaska(ns) and travel time is totally different then the lower 48 (at least the Arizona area I was from). But once you start to find your bearing there is some great, uncrowded, fishing opportunities up here.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    The guys have pretty well covered it but do want to mention that some of the sites are quite a bit away from "Fairbanks". It's 2 hours to Delta, and a good trip to Minto as well (fly-in I think but someone can correct me). When I was first coming up 6 years ago I was surprised by this as I had heard of this fun fishing but was surprised by the distance to go. Over time you will learn that Alaska(ns) and travel time is totally different then the lower 48 (at least the Arizona area I was from). But once you start to find your bearing there is some great, uncrowded, fishing opportunities up here.

I have heard you can take some dirt road and drive to Minto!

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I have heard you can take some dirt road and drive to Minto!
    That would be the Elliott highway...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

yup expect to travel by car or truck to get to spots