Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to this forum

Default Newbie to this forum

Hello everyone my name is Jerad. As the topic states I'm brand new to this forum. A year or so ago I purchased a 5 acre lot at Teklanika Channel Lake on eBay. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I do like the idea of it. I read there was a fire out there in the past few years. I've never been to Alaska but for those of you wiser than I, do you think it's worth trying to get a cabin kit built on it in the next few years?

I do have thick skin and usually learn from the school of hard knocks. Don't worry about being brutally honest as long as it's somewhat constructive

What are your plans for access? Unless you do the freighting your self plan on having a few dollars invested in that part alone. If you planed to do it your self it would be best to haul it in in the winter by snowmachine and plan on a few trips.

Well for access al I know is either a bush plane or helicopter. Other than that I'd need to buy a pretty good sized snow machine along with a big sturdy sled plus all the fuel to do it with. I guess I need to do some figuring and see which way proves to be the least expensive.

It looks like you have lots of neighbors. You might call the recorder's office and get some names and talk to some folks with local knowledge.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/o...nika_ch_lk.pdf

Hauling stuff in by snowmachine will be way less expensive than by charter aircraft. Be aware when looking at the map of the subdivision that Mr. Pid posted the link to, that those "roads" are at best an ATV trail. Also, the information provided by DNR says the shoreline of the lake is marshy. That'll make unloading a float plane a pain in the behind.

You really need to come up and look at what you bought. If simply visiting your lot is too time consuming/expensive - well, there's your answer on if you should build a cabin.

Mr Pid,

When you say call the recorders office and talk to them, who are you referring to? I have never dealt with any county or state regarding land or property like this.

NRick,

I do want to and I'm planning on coming up to have a looksie and see what I've gotten in to. Although that probably won't be for another year due to work. What I was considering was to build a cabin up there and maybe try to rent it out while I'm not there which would probably be most of the time right now. If I could get stationed in Alaska though that might be a different story.

Renting out a remote place like that is not a good idea. Rental property is hard to keep track of even when you live in the same area. You have about a 90% chance of getting some loser that would destroy the place if they did not burn it down before. If you have any close neighbors than you could build and hope that they are good neighbors and would keep an eye on it for you. Good Luck

I had been thinking about that after I typed it. You are 100% correct about what you said. There are people I know that I wouldn't trust to rent anything of mine.

I just know I think it would be a good experience (fun) to escape the rat race of life and live in a remote location off the grid. Like a lot of people are starting to do it seems.

Does anyone know if there are rules or regulations about drilling water wells and or installing some sort of septic system? Other than well water, what are some other good ways to get water for daily activities?

I do want to thank everyone for all the advice provided so far

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rad View Post
    Does anyone know if there are rules or regulations about drilling water wells and or installing some sort of septic system? Other than well water, what are some other good ways to get water for daily activities?
    Ya get your water from the nearest lake or creek and boil it to kill the many many animal pathogens in it; you poop in an oil drum and burn it off with diesel when it gets full. Welcome to Alaska
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I looked at some lots at that subdivision and almost bought two lakefront lots. The plus is that there is an
    ATV trail from HWY 3 near Neenana that goes directly to the subdivision. Apparently there is a trapper
    out there that maintains it. Also heard that there are quite a few Beavers in/on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    I looked at some lots at that subdivision and almost bought two lakefront lots. The plus is that there is an
    ATV trail from HWY 3 near Neenana that goes directly to the subdivision. Apparently there is a trapper
    out there that maintains it. Also heard that there are quite a few Beavers in/on the lake.
    I know I haven't been there yet, but I'm pretty good at google earth (lame attempt at a joke). I haven't seen anywhere that I'd want to drive an ATV across the river yet. When I purchased the lot I was given some coordinates that I was told were a trail, but it was only for a snow machine once the river had frozen over. Hopefully in about a year or so I'll finally be able to say I've been to Alaska.

J-Rad
    Don't call the Recorders Office, They won't look up your neighbors.
    You can email the DNR Public Information Center at dnr.pic@alaska.gov or call them at (907) 269-8400 (after 10 am Alaska Time). Give them the ADL number of the lot or your lot and block and they can do a search to find the names and addresses of the people who have originally bought in the subdivision. Or you can look the information up yourself on Alaska Mapper http://dnr.alaska.gov/Mapper/ the user guide is on the blue tool bar at the bottom under help guides

Email would probably be the best as it gives them time to compile the information
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    J-Rad
    Don't call the Recorders Office, They won't look up your neighbors.
    You can email the DNR Public Information Center at dnr.pic@alaska.gov or call them at (907) 269-8400 (after 10 am Alaska Time). Give them the ADL number of the lot or your lot and block and they can do a search to find the names and addresses of the people who have originally bought in the subdivision. Or you can look the information up yourself on Alaska Mapper http://dnr.alaska.gov/Mapper/ the user guide is on the blue tool bar at the bottom under help guides

Email would probably be the best as it gives them time to compile the information

Or he could go to the borough tax website and look up the subdivision and it will give him names and addresses of owners in that subdivision.

John, I don't think that it is in a borough ????

Ok, I have emailed the DNR with my ADL number and a couple questions. Now I get to play the waiting game. I also checked on the borough website and I couldn't find anything. I found a map section, but nothing with owner information.

You could say that I'm currently in the research phase and I have a couple other questions in general for guys.

1. Have any of you heard good/bad things about Friesens's Cabins? So far they seem to be the best supplier for a cabin kit that I have found online.

2. Once I have a cabin of some kind, will a 10,000 watt portable generator be plenty to run it?

3. How deep is the permafrost on average and does that need to be taken into consideration "if" a water well and septic system were installed? Would I just have to insulate all the pipes really well?

I know I've been asking a lot of questions since I joined a short time ago. I really do appreciate the advice I'm getting. You guys are WAY less sarcastic than the people in a firearms forum I'm in

The Mat-Su had mine listed as State Owned for a year after I had bought it. They still have it listed as State owned with me purchasing it even though I have patent to it. Of course they got the tax bill to me correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Or he could go to the borough tax website and look up the subdivision and it will give him names and addresses of owners in that subdivision.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    The Mat-Su had mine listed as State Owned for a year after I had bought it. They still have it listed as State owned with me purchasing it even though I have patent to it. Of course they got the tax bill to me correctly
    That sounds exactly like a government operation. If they owe you something it's going to take awhile to make happen. If you owe them something, they are going to collect very very quickly.

If Iím looking at the map right his lot isnít in an organized borough. No property tax, no assessorís office to look up tax records.

J-rad, ask DNR if there is an active lotowners association. These subdivisions were set up with lotowners associations but not all are active. If your is, you should be able to get contact info for your neighbors from them. I believe you can search the records in the recorderís office online but thatís a tedious way to track people down.

As to your new batch of questions:
    1. My friend and remote cabin neighbor had Friesen built a cabin for him. Not a kit, they transported all the materials and built it in the spot he chose. Weather tight shell, heís doing all the inside work. Overall, he is satisfied with it. Still has a long ways to go to call it ďfinished.Ē

2. A 10K generator is crazy overkill for a part time recreational cabin. Many of us use a Honda 2000 and it does just fine.

3. Permafrost is a consideration for well and septic. However, you might plan to start with just an outhouse and hauling water. I donít think you have an appreciation yet for just how much work hauling material and building a simple cabin in your location is going to be. Let alone, adding modern amenities.

As far as the genset, look long and hard about what type of loads you plan to pull before investing in a power system. I'd say your best off keeping the power load as low as possible and look at a battery system to balance out peak draw to average draw. The expense and hassle of transporting and storing fuel should not be under estimated. If you have an over sized genset and are burning alot of fuel, it's not just the expense of the fuel, it's the time and effort it takes you to transport it out there. On the flip side you don't want to haul out too much at first because you could end up with a significant amount of stale gas and no way to safely dispose of it. Personally I'd go with propane for heat and cooking and old fashioned lanterns for light, and not alot of that needed during the summer. To me one of the biggest joys of getting off the road and staying in a cabin is not having electricity and the devices it powers.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast