Thread: Black Bear in the field, initially,...how much Salt

Default Black Bear in the field, initially,...how much Salt

I'm heading out soon for a Black Bear hunt and will not have ice on board the boat,
    or the usual, couple 50lb bags of fine salt around (Longliners sometimes use it for salting bait, so it's plentiful)

So, for the first time, I need to know how much Salt I'll need for the initial Hide Salting

Call it a standard 6 sqft Bear,...What do you think,...??

I grabbed 5 lbs. at Safeway,....then started thinking about it,...maybe not enough??

Won't need to be packing it on my back,...so I should grab more,...or not ?? Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I would get 20lbs or so, and make sure you turn everything and flesh it real good, because it is extremely hard to flesh after a hide has been salt hardened, and if you don't turn the ears, lips and eyes the hair will slip even salted.

Sounds like a fun trip. Have you thought of dropping it off on the way to have it tanned. It could then be mailed to ya.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Get a 25 pound bag, dump it in a 5 gallon bucket with a sealable lid.. One 5 gallon pail will Hold 2 bags. Trick is to ensure all red meat is removed. And it fleshed of as much if not all the fat ou can get off the hide.. turn the ears, lips, split the yes, remove the fat and muscle meat above the brow.. Remove feet, toes, if rugging, cut pads off, if life size mount is planned, cut around th edge of the pad leaving it like a flap.. Remove toes,, flesh.. Then flesh some more..

After it is FLESHED.. Apply salt, rub it in.. Fold skin to skin, then roll up head to tail, then elevate off he ground, keep in the shade, well air circulated area..

In 24 hours, knock off old salt, And re salt,, repeat procedure.

If not back home by then, repeat process every 12 hours.. Less salt will be used each time..

After the second salting, you can hang up skin side out in shade, to dry a bit

If home, use a big fan

What ever you do.. Don't salt dry it hard if the lips, ears aren't turned.. It's a pain o do later and will most likely SLIP..

Hoytguy

Does your Safeway salt have any additives........? Like Iodine.

Not quite a hijack but a little addition to this thread... At what outside temp does a hunter need to worry about salting a hide? Or perhaps temperature + days left in field..? If ya know what I mean...

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Good to have it salted by day three for me but I know of hides not salted for a week and still turned out fine.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Whew, Thanks guys, Glad I asked,.....
    I was spacing that out fairly bad,...

I was thinking, I'll probably need to salt it twice,.... tho I may drop it off somewhere on the way north
    or get it frozen somehow and ship it out, maybe, rather than keep it with me for the trip, which will be a several weeks

My plan is to hunt my way through southern SE,....lookin' over Prince of Wales island and others,....
    but I won't be home in Kodiak for a long time afterward,....so, hmmm,...
    I'll probably swing through Wrangell or Petersburg, a
    fter hopefully taking a Bear,...could ship it out to the, "HoytMan" (?) from there

Why do you ask about additives AGL ?? I think it probably is iodized,...?? just the bottom shelf stuff,

Another question, if I have the option to just keep it frozen instead,...should I just not salt at all ?

I did find a way to stash a little 5cu ft freezer down in the fishhold,...thinking of the Bear Meat, the only
    potential drawback is that running it off an Inverter, or a little generator I have,...I won't keep it running 24/7
    and it'sreally not very big, might be full of meat
    so, just figured the salting would be a good move,...??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Don't forget that most areas require that the bear be sealed within 30 days.

Some say that the iodized salt does not draw out moisture as effectively as non iodized salt, that it can interfere with the pickling process, and that it can tint the hide.

Some say it does not matter salt is salt.

I use non iodized, I figure why risk it.

If you double salt the hide and flesh it like it should be with all the ears, lips, feet and eyes prepped. I don't think you would have any issues. That said a boat is a very moist environment.

The last bear hide I tried to freeze, took several days to freeze and I had to keep rotating the exposed parts so that it all froze. Bear hides are very hard to freeze and can rot even in a cold freezer.

If it were me, I would plan ahead and just drop it off along the way and have it sealed and have someone prep and tan it for me. The last thing I want on my boat is a hide leaking salt water all over my boat. The last tanned hide I had mailed was 20 bucks or so for shipping.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thanks again, for the tips,...
    (Non Iodized Salt,...can find it anywhere?)

and to ship it out from Wrangell say,...a couple days max from time of kill,...would be a two-time salt deal right?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

and to ship it out from Wrangell say,...a couple days max from time of kill,...would be a two-time salt deal right?

I buy my salt at Sams, they have 25lb bags.

As I said before,, if you salt a hide before it is properly prepped, they are a pain to finish. The salt hardens everything and dulls fleshing knives.

For a couple to 3 days in cool spring temps, I would just try to get it to whoever was going to prep it. Hides are like meat, keep them cool, and dry and they will last several days.

The last Grizzly we killed in the Brooks was 7 days unsalted. My Kodiak Bear was 10 days, but it did freeze most nights.
    Founding Member

If you are buying it in a regular grocery store, it will usually be sitting right next to the iodized salt. Kosher salt and pickling salt are also uniodized.

Found it, yep, right next to the regular stuff,...

So, have 15lbs Non Iodized, 5lb Iodized,...

and maybe,...Now, after all this, I'll just get it straight to a town within a few days,...ship it out Fresh, anyway
    Oh Well, sure appreciate the advice, I'm covered for all contingencies anyway

So, probably shouldn't ask here but,...anyone have "The Best Bear Hide Tanner," Recommendations,..??

Actually,... have really liked hearing from Hoytguy,...so much good info, freely offered up on these forums
    Feel like I almost owe him some business,...
    Pretty Certain he has his act together as a result of good info on the Skull Preservation end of it all

Only thing might be better, easier,....
    would be if there is a Stunningly Good business in one of the main SE towns like Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka

and while I'm at it, would like to find a place to drop the meat for Excellent Sausage makings down there also
    versus trying to get it all up to Indian
    won't be so easy on my way through,....Ideas,...Amigo,...??

You can save that iodized salt for your margaritas after the hunt.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

We can get your bear sealed here and mailed out if not on the weekend.Our morning plane goes north every day (weather?) so shipping to Anchorage is easy if you want.As for the meat maybe just eat it all the way home.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yea, I'll be cookin' some up on the way for sure, I sure like the Sausage sticks deal tho,...could chow on that stuff all day long,

If I take down another Bear this year, I'm thinking Sausage'n it all up, would do it myself if I could do all that on board

as it is, I'm not much of a boat cook, openin' cans most of the time,...
    I do have one of those sparkly new Stainless Steel Barbeques, still in the box,...but maybe I can figure out how to
    do up Bear Barbeque ??

Any Ideas, cool recipes,...Very Welcome

Shoot, I'm still feeling "Presumptous,"....... before I'm even in the country yet, all the planning,....
    I'll probably get up there too early,...be freakin' out on the searchin'

Any Ideas, cool recipes,...Very Welcome
    We took the back straps from a bear last spring and marinated the sweet, little medallions in italian dressing and some red wine all day. I then put it in a pot with some onions and mushrooms and brought it to a boil on the stove top for a few minutes. I then finished it in the oven for three hours or so while we did a little beach combing. We served it over a bed of rice and it was fantastic! Very mild flavor and tender as any meat that I have eaten.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.