Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat for kenai dipnetting?

Default Boat for kenai dipnetting?

I have recently moved to Anchorage and am thinking of dipnetting the Kenai for the first time. I lived in Fairbanks and did Chitna from shore but am wondering if I can do the Kenai from my boat, a 10' inflatable with a 8hp outboard. I have seen some youtube videos and it looks a little rough. I have run my boat on the Chena and Tanana without any problems, can it handle the Kenai or should I stick to the shore? Any input or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JVD

Default Small Boats on the Kenai

Biggest problem is not your boat and motor, it's the behavior of the other boat operators in certain areas. Some men measure themselves by how big their stuff is, and have a distinct disdain for smaller outfits. That being said, there are plenty of areas where you should be able to operate without getting into that whole thing.

You have a distinct advantage if you can carry your boat... You can park at the Warren Ames bridge and toss it in the river from the bank. Then you can fish the upper section of the boat zone to your heart's content. Most of the boat traffic is concentrated in a small area at the lower section of the fishing zone. And the worst part is the Kenai city boat launch.

Alternative 2... with that small a boat, you could also beach launch and do the Kasilof.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

[You should also keep in mind that you need a 4 cycle moter for most of the river. The river from the Kenai bridge downstream is open for two cycles. I live in Kenai, have a boat, but prefer to deal with the people on the shore.
    If you stay away from the mouth, you don't have the crowds to contend with. Good luck with whichever route you go.

QUOTE=gr8fl;1112086]Biggest problem is not your boat and motor, it's the behavior of the other boat operators in certain areas. Some men measure themselves by how big their stuff is, and have a distinct disdain for smaller outfits. That being said, there are plenty of areas where you should be able to operate without getting into that whole thing.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by gunrman View Post
    [You should also keep in mind that you need a 4 cycle moter for most of the river. The river from the Kenai bridge downstream is open for two cycles.

NOT WHILE DIPPING!

Yes, you can run a two-stroke motor from the bridge on down to your heart's contentment, you can even fish running one using a rod. YOU CAN'T RUN A TWO-STROKE WHILE DIPNETTING. This stupid rule is why I haven't dip netted for two years. ):
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Thanks for the reply, my motor is a four stroke so that gives me more options, and the whole package light enough to launch from the beach. Hopefully that will get me away from the chaos. Thanks again for the tips, this site is great.

Default Kasilof

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Thanks for the reply, my motor is a four stroke so that gives me more options, and the whole package light enough to launch from the beach. Hopefully that will get me away from the chaos. Thanks again for the tips, this site is great.
    With a rig like that, and wanting to avoid chaos, you'd certainly enjoy the Kasilof over the Kenai. Very little boat traffic, even during the height of the season when the shore is very crowded, and less to no waves/wakes, whereas in the Kenai you'd likely encounter many a wake that you'd wish you hadn't.

Happy dipping. Wave to me; I'll be on shore!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Wave to me; I'll be on shore!
    I may be too--but I need better tires if I'm gonna drive Kasilof beach. May just do Kenai this year.

JVD,
    I just so happen to have a 4 wheeler with a lil 8x8 tilt trailer that would probably just haul that lil boat right on down to the mouth for launch---maybe we can work out a deal.....lol

You don't need to drive on the beach. The end of the maintained gravel road is like 50 yards from the water.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

That sounds like a pretty short walk. I might take a trip down in the next couple of weekends to take a look before it opens for dipnetting.

I did it in a 16' Scanoe with a 4hp up near the Warren Ames bridge. Same Scanoe my Grandfather did it in for years and never had an issue. Away from the Chaos and in wider area of the river you're fine.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

I have recently moved to Anchorage and am thinking of dipnetting the Kenai for the first time. I lived in Fairbanks and did Chitna from shore but am wondering if I can do the Kenai from my boat, a 10' inflatable with a 8hp outboard. I have seen some youtube videos and it looks a little rough. I have run my boat on the Chena and Tanana without any problems, can it handle the Kenai or should I stick to the shore? Any input or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JVD
    I run a big freighter canoe with a mud motor all season-everything. 45 salmon.....burnt two gallons of gas. Stand up the whole time, not one boat wake so much as budged my boat.

Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a nice setup, and some nice fish. I would not want to wash your dog though. I have read that the fish are bigger on the kenai, can anyone commet on that.

Default Take your pick

Kenai reds are bigger, Copper reds are better, Kasilof reds are funner with kids, IMHO...

Feel free to use these dice to help you decide where to go...

You would do fine launching at the city dock and motoring up to Warren Ames, I'd suggest coming down on a weekday and avoiding the weekend chaos. I'd also avoid extremely low tides as that can make the bottom end of the dip netting section very narrow, then the wakes get real bad. Not like your going to sink that inflatable getting past all the boats down there.

I am a little curious if that 8hp motor will put that boat on step? Seems you may have a tough/slow time going up river from the bottom end?

I have been on the lower section in a 20' Koffler with 36" sides when I thought it wasn't enough boat!

That sounds like good advice, are the week days significantly less busy? The 8hp will get the boat on step with about 600lbs people and gear in it, but that is getting pretty close to maxing it out. I am dreaming of a bigger boat and bigger outboard but not this year.

That sounds like good advice, are the week days significantly less busy? The 8hp will get the boat on step with about 600lbs people and gear in it, but that is getting pretty close to maxing it out. I am dreaming of a bigger boat and bigger outboard but not this year.
    Typically the weekends are significantly less busy until the fish peak then it seems like its just crazy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Typically the weekends are significantly less busy until the fish peak then it seems like its just crazy all the time.
    Uh.... "less" ?

...are the week days significantly less busy?...
    If you fish from the Warren Ames Bridge down to the gasline crossing, it's not as busy (due to horsepower restrictions) even on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    You would do fine launching at the city dock and motoring up to Warren Ames...!
    If you can carry your boat, launch at the bridge and not the city dock. You will save yourself a lot of time and also stay clear of the rough water across from the dock.

Default Gravel Bars

Probably worth mentioning:

Those dark grey areas are worth knowing about. The one across from the old cannery (in the middle of the picture) always catches a boat or two every year. The one halfway between the gasline crossing and the bridge manages to snag a few now and then, as well.

They are not a problem from about half-flood to half-ebb, but be aware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast