Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Redhawk shooters

Default Question for Redhawk shooters

I've asked this question before as part of other threads and never got an answer so I'll try a new thread.

The question is this: If I buy a Redhawk and shoot it to the point where the forcing cone is erroded and the face of the barrel is cut - will Ruger replace the barrel for free or will I have to pay for a new barrel?

When I sent my S&W 629 back to the the factory earlier this year they set the barrel back a turn or two and recut the throat and face for free. They also did some other repairs and upgrades (also for free) but my major repair was the barrel. While S&W can set the barrel back Rugers must have new barrels installed.

Since Rugers are normally shot with much heavier loads then I shoot in my S&W I would expect the barrel to go out much sooner esp. if I convert a .45 Colt to .454 (Of course I'd put the .45 Colt back in before I shipped it back.) I figure I could go thru a barrel in a few years or sooner esp. if the rumors about Lil'Gun are true.

So - those of you that have shipped Redhawks back with worn out barrels what was you experience?

THANKS!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Don't know. I haven't shot mine to that point yet and if and when I do, I won't have a problem purchasing a new barrel and paying for the work to install it. I don't expect to get things for free.
    Now what ?

Call Ruger and ask them. 603-865-2442 or 928-541-8892. And don't forget to mention you switched out the cylinder and shot the 454 loads in it.

Never shot out a forcing cone yet but doubt I've ever put more than ten thousand rounds through one.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Actual experiences

What someone tells you on the phone and what actually happens can be quite different - that is why I was looking for actual experiences.

Surely there are some Ruger shooters on the forum that shoot far more than I do and have had to send their guns back for new barrels and repairs due to general wear and tear.

S&W didn't ask what I had been shooting in my 629 and I didn't volunteer the information (lots of 310 gr bullets ahead of 296/H110 and Lil'Gun). I suspect Ruger won't ask either; I suspect one could shoot out a .44 Mag or .45 Colt in a few years without switching to a .454. I guess whan I find a RH in .45 with the barrel screwed in straight I'll find out

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Call Ruger and ask them. 603-865-2442 or 928-541-8892. And don't forget to mention you switched out the cylinder and shot the 454 loads in it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've been shooting a 44 mag Redhawk since the year of release back in the 80's, and am yet to shoot the barrel out. And we're talking well over 2k rounds a year. At the time I bought two others (sequential serial #'s BTW) and simply left them in the box and never shot them. Kinda interesting and enlightening to compare the shooter with the two lookers. No reason to send it off for a new barrel, but I'm hurrying as fast as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    What someone tells you on the phone and what actually happens can be quite different - that is why I was looking for actual experiences.

Surely there are some Ruger shooters on the forum ...
    When I sent my redhawk in last week - with 200 live rounds through it - they asked if I had been shooting factory ammo or reloads through it. Thankfully I was able to say factory. Once I am sure it is right and I don't neeed the warranty anymore, than I'll shoot reloads through it.

I don't now what would have happened if I had said reloads.

Default Reloads and warranty work

Interesting - Ruger didn't ask me anything about what I had been shooting nor did S&W. I wouldn't think it would be an issue as long as the gun didn't have any signs or damaged of being over-pressured.

I rarely shoot factory commerical ammo thru anything other than .22RFs - just too darn expensive! If shooting handloads voided my warranty I'd be out of luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    When I sent my redhawk in last week - with 200 live rounds through it - they asked if I had been shooting factory ammo or reloads through it. Thankfully I was able to say factory. Once I am sure it is right and I don't neeed the warranty anymore, than I'll shoot reloads through it.

I don't now what would have happened if I had said reloads.

Probably no need to worry since you will most likely never find a Redhawk with a barrel screwed on straight!

Jack Elam had to same problem
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default I'll keep looking!

I'll keep looking- Ruger must have gotten at least a few of them straight Perhaps the older - or newer guns - are better? I'm going down to the lower 48 next week - I'll check around down there.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Probably no need to worry since you will most likely never find a Redhawk with a barrel screwed on straight!

I wonder if you've already converted from .45 Colt to .454 Casul have you voided any warrentees? You possible could face the total charge or perhaps no repairs at all?
    Steve

Tough question, I don't know what Ruger would do.
    Why use Lil-Gun?
    My SBH has seen a steady diet of 296 for over 63,000 heavy loads and uncounted light ones. I have some sandblasting at the cone edge but the cone inside is like new and the bore still slugs .430". It still shoots the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Tough question, I don't know what Ruger would do.
    Why use Lil-Gun?
    My SBH has seen a steady diet of 296 for over 63,000 heavy loads and uncounted light ones. I have some sandblasting at the cone edge but the cone inside is like new and the bore still slugs .430". It still shoots the same.
    Why not use LilGun . . . because of the internet myth?? Iím not that far behind you in one of my 460Vs using LilGun to push 395s to 1400fps and it looks almost brand new inside still.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iím not that far behind you in one of my 460Vs
    That 63,000 rounds has taken him decades to achieve and shoots a lot (he has a range in his backyard).

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    That 63,000 rounds has taken him decades to achieve and shoots a lot (he has a range in his backyard).
    He's not the only one with a range in the back yard, well I guess mine is in the front yard. We shoot a little bit around here too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

That wasn't the point, it took decades to go 63,000 rounds.

Maybe so, don't know how many rounds anymore, I donít count rounds I count pounds cuz I cant keep up with rounds. So far this year since I gout an 8 of LilGun from Snowwolf I killed off the 8 I had and bought 2 more 8s from Sportsmanís, just this year, 2012 and the snow ain't even gone yet. Since 2008 Iíve shot out 3000 460 brass and cut them to 454 and a lot of them are about done as 454. At 8 to 10 firings per, you do the math and youíll see Iím not all that far behind. It didnít take me decades just doing what I do every day, day in day out. Heck I bought a LnL/AP just for 460/454/45 Colt loading and I'm cranking on that lever just about every night till the wee hours.

But, maybe so . . . maybe so.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I tried Lil-Gun in a new Freedom .357 and after 12 shots I burned my hand on the barrel. No way I want that heat.
    Go to Freedom and ask, they warn against using it because of erosion problems.
    Yes, there have been many posts about heat in other calibers too but burning my hand was enough for me. I put the rest away for the .410.
    All you gain is a tad more velocity with a tad less pressure, nothing 296 can't do.
    I have never wasted time looking for velocity, accuracy only, I never needed 50 fps more.
    Shooting IHMSA we also found the RH likes H110 better then 296. The SBH and SRH both prefer 296. There is a tiny burn rate difference between them.
    I am unsure today since Hodgdon handles both powders. They might be exactly the same now. I don't buy H110 so I don't know.
    I just know Lil-Gun will never go in any of my revolvers. I can't afford repairs or rebuilds.
    Another powder to avoid IN THE .44 is 4227. Heating up the gun will give velocity and pressure increases. It works fine in other calibers and no I can't explain it.
    I have been shooting the .44 since 1956 and owned 9 or 10 of them. Anything and everything has been tested.

I have sent some Rugers (revolvers) back for repair. Most recently...Their new, old, flattop 44 BH which was a special run of 44 specials. The gun had rust inside, at the trigger base and at each pin hole. It was returned in about a month (they sent it overland UPS instead of intended 2nd day air) all nicely refinished with no sign of ever being refinished. The gun is lovely, I have two of them and matching 45 Colt also. The only Ruger I've seen with rust in its innards.

The first I sent back was in the 1970's. I was in the Navy and sent it back to change the front sight of my 4 5/8" 357 . The gun shot too high to adjust down with my loads. I was overseas somewhere when it came back, my mom stuffed it away for me 't il I got home. The gun still shoots fine the way I want it. I had filed the bottom of the rear leaf sight off to gain adjustment and they replaced the rear also.

In between I've sent three others off. One for conversion to new model. One was a Security six that was out of time from the box it spit lead fragments out the cylinder gap. And one was the first Redhawk I ever owned and I think it was just a general complaint with lockwork and timing, etc. Don't remember exactly what. I no longer have it.

I sent my S&W 686 back to be fixed. The top strap was cut about 1/8" deep at the cylinder gap and it was very loose. They said it couldn't be repaired and sent me a new one. I don't know why it was so cut up I had only shot it every day for 16 years, practice, matches, practice...won my high master classification with it at the Bianchi Cup matches. I only shot 38 special in it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast