Thread: Looking for brown bear partner off Denali Hwy

Default Looking for brown bear partner off Denali Hwy

I am wondering if anyone wants to hunt brownies off the Denali Hwy this week. Or maybe a party that doesn't mind an extra set of eyes. Weather satellites predicting nice high pressure for the next couple days.
    I'm from Fbks but can meet you there from either Paxson or Cantwell side as early as tonight. Or early this week. I am self sufficient and have room for one on the trailer. I have a long track mountain machine and an Artic Oven (w/ two cots). Or could stay at any of the wonderful lodges on the Hwy.
    I have done lots of spring riding in the Ak range while carrying my rifle. I've seen tracks numerous times and saw a brownie a few years ago headed for a pass. That bear went where my machine never would!
    Just want to get out and enjoy the sunshine. 
    Leave message here or PM. Thanx

Wish I was going to be down there. I don't get home until the 30th. I'm not doing well being away from the lodge right now, as I know bears are waking up, yawning and streching all over.... Just fyi, they have plowed over 30 miles in from Cantwell, and probably near that from Paxson. I know the hunters we have there now are parked where they quit plowing. Going to be some standed trucks unless they can get off the highway to ride back to thier trucks.

Good luck finding someone!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

We were in there yesterday poking around for bears, but we didn't get far. We covered 6 miles in 5 hours of riding. Needless to say, the snow was rotten and we were getting unstuck all day long. If you can find some windswept areas you might make it farther, but be prepared for a slog. Good luck to you!

Brian, how many miles do they have it plowed in?
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Unknown, Claude. We stopped short of where they were plowing. The first 20+ miles are in excellent shape, though.

Thanx for the tips Brian & Claude. C-well, MacClaren R, & Paxon weather all report below freezing temps at nite. Hot days. Travel from first light to noonish.
    Although this spring is coming considerably sooner, my final ride of last season was May 13 from mine rd on east side of the Su.

sheep was brian said is more than true, the snow is rotten like i've never seen, some places its six foot of rotten with no bottom, i'm on a M8 and can get around as long as i park pointed down hill and ride with it pinned, which is really loud in a valley and which also burns up alot of fuel. don't have to worry about overheatin' though, your driving in slush. morning riding is ok, but the crust is hard if you pop a ski thru it your in for a mess, probably over the handle bars. It thaws out fast. i have been staying on trails that i made just to get around and haven't left in in the morning when its set up afraid i'll get somewhere and not get back to my trail before it softens up.
    I'm hopin' the snow gets heavy enough that it'll settle and when it does, man you'll be able to cover some ground! there is alot of snow out this way right now, alot more than the first 30 miles of the denali hwy has. you'll probably be able to do your may 13 ride again this year but the temps are off the charts out there. might say 45 on the thermo, feels like 60 out sitting on the snow. best of luck, just wanted to give a heads up on riding conditions...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Exactly right, Jake. I know that snow gets sloppy every year, but this was unlike anything I've previously experienced (though admittedly I don't have a ton of spring riding experience). As noted, morning travel isn't necessarily the ticket, as breaking through that crust gets you into a world of trouble. We tried following an old track through the woods, but getting even a couple of inches off the side ended badly every time. Over the handlebars indeed!

It sure would be sweet if this all gets compacted down. I don't imagine I'll get another chance prior to late May, but that would be the ticket if it settles down a few feet.

Was 20 in Cantwell this am, best morning freeze in 3 days, friends came out of the Talkeetnas yesterday, 1 more bear taken,
    signs of 2 others but in bad spots. Rivers holding up, but 1 night of another warm spell could make drop out more than they have done.

Appriacate the heads up. Good to hear more bears are roaming around.
    I think I have a buddy lined up for later in the week.