Thread: Bottom Wing Aircraft

Default Bottom Wing Aircraft

Are bottom wing aircraft practical for the bush?

Question What is bush to you?

I've been reading a lot of your posts and you through the word Bush out there a lot. Bush is one of those terms that is like tall or short. What is tall to one person isn't tall to the next, what is considered bush to one person isn't to the next. So when you say bush, do you mean any where not Fairbanks-Anchorage-Juneau? Do you mean a small super cub strip?

There are plenty of low wing aircraft that fly out to the villages.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I'd have to agree with Riverboater. What is Bush flying to you? Landing in bush villages with developed runways, or gravel bars and supercub swamp strips? For remote villages a low wing aircraft works just fine, but is useless for most unimproved strips used for hunting and fishing purposes because a low wing aircrafts generally has higher stall speeds. This means longer takeoff runs and longer landing distances. Don't forget that the wings are closer to the ground and will be "in the weeds" on some strips. Also most are retractibles and the gear can't take the abuse that bush strips give. Thats why the Super Cub is still king after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigermusky View Post
    Thats why the Super Cub is still king after all these years.

King of what?

Go out or King Salmon and Dillingham and check out all the Cherokee 6's flying out there and your question will be answered. I wouldnt consider a Navajo or an old KingAir bush planes, but they've been there and done that ALL over Alaska for decades.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Shooter View Post
    Are bottom wing aircraft practical for the bush?

If you're talking about flying hunters and fishermen, probably not. If you're talking about using beaches, bars and ridges, probably not. If you're talking village strips, probably they're all right.

Remember, though, most of those low-wingers are also tricycle-geared. Not the best choice for wet strips or tundra ..........

In my personal appraisal, that is.

PenAir uses the Cherokee line, but they still avoid some pretty neat spots because of (a) relatively small tires and (b) tricycle gear.

Mort

To me, bush flying is flying hunters in and out of camps. I did not think they would be good for bush flying but I was just curious. Thanks