Thread: grease or molasses

Default grease or molasses

Hey guys. ive had trouble getting grease the last two years but didnt know if anyone had a suggestion (PM me if you want to keep it quiet). Also since i have not been successful at getting grease where is the cheapest place to get molasses and how much are you putting on 40 pounds of food. i havnt used it yet. thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

Mix it with warm water and it lasts longer and just put enough to make it all sticky and goey so it sticks to their paws..

Check local Feed Store for the molasses,

eat more bacon. I have my wife save all the grease from cooking and stick it in pickle jars throughout the year. I don't really use that much grease anymore though. Feed stores or Sportsmans should have mollasses. Like sluice said, I mix with hot water and I'll also add some brown sugar to it. I usually use about 2-3 gallons of it on 50lbs of dogfood, pour it over the barrel, logs and in front of the barrel.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Coffee can full of bacon grease last a long time for me.I pick up little sticks and dip them in the grease them just lay them around the area.I prefer to be part of the bears forage area and not home base.As the bait is spred out some more bears can be looking for treats at the same time.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I pour my deep-fryer grease on my dogfood and bread, then take my mollasses pour it on my barrell and surrounding trees and ground. Sportsmans sells it for about 15 bucks for 5 gal. mix it with water and will last awhile. Even mixed with water it has a very strong oder.

Anyone ever mix both cooking oil and molasses together? Could be a very potent mixture to say the least lol...

I suspend a jug of molasses about 15 feet in the air with a very small hole in the bottom. The breeze will whip a thread of molasses all over the place and the bears will chew on anything it touches. They will eat the bark off the trees getting all the molasses up. Additionally, I could easily smell molasses over 50 yards away, unlike the commercial bait ball I bought last year.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Serious question -

Do the bears eat up all of the dirt and trees and logs that you guys are spreading the liquid sticky stuff on/around?

I have been thinking of setting up a bait site, but have been worried about cleaning up the mess at the end of the season - how do you clean it up if you have dirt and such soaked in sugar/grease/molasses ?

Yes they will dig into the trees and dirt long after you are done baiting. And yes, according to law, you are required to clean up any contaminiated soil and haul it out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    ... but have been worried about cleaning up the mess at the end of the season - how do you clean it up if you have dirt and such soaked in sugar/grease/molasses ?
    ....stop replenishing a bit early (say a week or two before the end of the season) to give them a chance to clean up the last of the morsels.

The used grease restaurants have is hazardous waste and they either pay to dispose of it, or find somebody like us or somebody making bio-fuel to take it off of their hands. At least that is the way it is in FAI. I'd check the landfills to see what they say, and likely if you have a use they'll give some to you. Emerald AK might be taking some in as they re-cycle used oils for fuels. Not sure if they use the food grease or not.
    Kentucky Fried chicken or similar is a great place to find it, and you may be lucky enough to come across a full drum even though I'd rather use the 5 gallon jugs.
    Amigo and I may be thinking about things a bit different. I want the bears to come out of their dens, turn immediately toward the bait site, lick their lips, and start walking. My belief is that if you stay in an area long enough, the bears remember where they get food every spring. I want them to be able to smell that bait miles away (if possible) and when they get there, to find a "royal fork" buffet of yummy goodness.
    About the only thing I can't control at that point are sows in heat walking through and leaving as the boars pester them, which takes the boars away as raging desires outweigh hunger at that point.
    As for molasses or grease, I'll go with the more of the cheaper, which means more grease. And for sweet taste, I'll use syrup. Years back I tried the horse molasses w/out much luck, adn Grandmas is pretty pricey. Might have been that there were just a few bears around, not sure. I might try that again.
    I've used fish oil in the past too. Can't say it worked any better or worse than any other liquid I poured on the food, but it was pretty inexpensive for the quantity.
    ARR