Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Lift Assist

Default Hydraulic Lift Assist

Anybody here know anything about them? I have one on my 95' Johnson 40 Alaskan. The cable was broken when I bought it, and I have a hell of a time lifting it up by hand. I would think the hydraulic unit is fine as it takes so much pressure for me to lift it. If I am able to find and replace the cable, providing the unit is fine, will it possibly work as it's intended to? Personally I don't know anything about them or how they are supposed to work.

Thanks for any info.....

Powered jack plates are the only way to go; press a button and adjust your motor to any height you need for power, speed, ect. Don't get hung up on "setback". That is just a way to increase the mechanical leverage the motor creates on your transom. CMC has only 5.5" of lift, not enough to switch back and forth between prop and jet. Powertrans has 7.5" total lift and is what you need for switching.
    http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9662
    Keep the motor low in the water to get on step, once there, lift the motor to dramatically reduce drag and increase efficiency.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Oh, I've looked into power trims, and they would be nice. But they are spendy and I don't really need one. The little 35/40 isn't heavy and I wouldn't mind lifting it at all, but the hydraulic unit makes it a pain. I thought of just disconnecting it but then I would have no back pressure. I'm just hoping I could fix it so it works properly. That's why I was wondering if anybody on the site knew anything about them...

Thanks..

Anybody else with any info...???

You say the cable is broke??? Is it not, electric over hydraulic? can't you slice the wires back or rewire it? The one I had was older but it had an electric motor that turned a hydro pump.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    You say the cable is broke??? Is it not, electric over hydraulic? can't you slice the wires back or rewire it? The one I had was older but it had an electric motor that turned a hydro pump.
    I only have a hydraulic unit. The wire (white) that I thought was broken seems to be a ground wire only. The black cable goes from the hydraulic unit to the up down lever. I just bought this boat last year, and the seller never informed me of this. I do believe I am in need of a motor to operate the hydraulic ram. Should there be a small motor somewhere near, or next to the ram? There is not a button to operate a motor on the throttle control like there should be.

That is a hydraulic trim unit not a lift plate. From what I remember the motor is built into the unit so it is self contained. Have you checked to see if you are getting power to it? And is the ground hooked up? Just ideas since I have not messed with one of those in a long time.

Should have an electric motor attached like this with the switch on the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83fLXSVQJQ

My old one had the motor in the boat and the hydro lines run to the ram.

Does it have oil line coming off it that are no longer connected or electric wires???
    Founding Member

Should have an electric motor attached like this with the switch on the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83fLXSVQJQ

My old one had the motor in the boat and the hydro lines run to the ram.

Does it have oil line coming off it that are no longer connected or electric wires???
    The only lines that are on the unit is the black one (that you see in the pic) and it runs up to the up/down lever above. If I have the motor up, if I hit the lever the hydraulic unit will lower the motor. And like I say, that white wire is just attached with a star washer to a bolt on the back of where the black cable is attached, and not hooked to anything at the other end.

It's not that I need a power trim/lift, although it would be nice, all I really want is an easier way to lift up the motor rather than have to fight that hydraulic ram in order to do so. I had a 55 Johnson with no ram and it was fairly easy to lift. I just don't understand why this would have a ram with no means to lift the engine? As you see there is no motor to the left of the ram, and no button on the boat, that I can find, to power a motor, so was this unit even designed to have power to it? I don't understand how it was intended to be used?

Did some research and what you have is a manual lift. The ram only holds the engine up and absorbs shock from a lower unit strike. The lever you mentioned is to release the pressure to lower only.

You need something like this. Not sure what size your engine is.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104512680
    Founding Member

Did some research and what you have is a manual lift. The ram only holds the engine up and absorbs shock from a lower unit strike. The lever you mentioned is to release the pressure to lower only.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Outboards-Accessories/Power-Lifts-Trim-Tilt|/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104512680/Panther-JohnsonEvinrude-Integral-Trim-and-Tilt/700483.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fb oating-boating-outboards-accessories-power-lifts-trim-tilt%2F_%2FN-1100538&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104512680
    Thanks for the lesson today Steve I had never heard of that before but it makes sense, kinda like the jackass lifts do when you hit something.

I did not know it either... Google always amazes me.
    Founding Member

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104512680
    Yes, I had a feeling it was a manual lift, meaning, designed this way. But why the heck is it so hard to lift the darn thing? I've looked into the aftermarket power lifts, (saw the Cabella's unit as well) and like I said, I don't really need to have one. Just don't want to break my back every time I need to lift the engine out of the water. It shouldn't be this difficult. Like I said I've had a 55 AND a 70 which is a bit bigger than the 35/40 that I have now. Neither had a hydraulic ram and were pretty easy to lift.

I've also seen those handles (Cabella's) that attach to the top and back of the engine cover to give you leverage to lift it, which I may end up buying or building, but again, I just don't think this thing should be so hard to lift like it is. I thought from earlier research I've done, that even though it doesn't have a motor, this unit was called, as the title states, a hydraulic lift "assist". But maybe I was wrong.

Thanks for the input guys.......

Oh btw....I've researched this before on other forums, and I remember one guy saying he had a hard time pushing his back INTO the water. So who knows what's going on....???

WHat happens if you hold the release lever and lift it???
    Founding Member

WHat happens if you hold the release lever and lift it???
    That's what I have to do as it locks the tilt when I have in the up position. If the motor is up, when I move the lever down, I can stop it in any position until it's all the way down. But to bring it up again, I have to put the lever in the down position. Hence, I have to fight the power of that ram all the way back up again. It doesn't make sense.

I think that it may have something wrong,, just guessing, but maybe change the oil??
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, I had a feeling it was a manual lift, meaning, designed this way. But why the heck is it so hard to lift the darn thing? I've looked into the aftermarket power lifts, (saw the Cabella's unit as well) and like I said, I don't really need to have one. Just don't want to break my back every time I need to lift the engine out of the water. It shouldn't be this difficult. Like I said I've had a 55 AND a 70 which is a bit bigger than the 35/40 that I have now. Neither had a hydraulic ram and were pretty easy to lift.

I've also seen those handles (Cabella's) that attach to the top and back of the engine cover to give you leverage to lift it, which I may end up buying or building, but again, I just don't think this thing should be so hard to lift like it is. I thought from earlier research I've done, that even though it doesn't have a motor, this unit was called, as the title states, a hydraulic lift "assist". But maybe I was wrong.

Thanks for the input guys.......

Oh btw....I've researched this before on other forums, and I remember one guy saying he had a hard time pushing his back INTO the water. So who knows what's going on....???
    The 30hp Mercs we have at the loge I work for also have these hydrolic lift assist units.
    If you are having troulble lifting the motor it's because there is an issue with the hydrolic unit.
    Easiest thing to do is replace the unit. Not sure if there are rebuild kits available for them or not.
    I know our mechanic just replaced the units when they stopped working.
    Go to your local dealer with your serial # and find out if they offer a rebuild kit or cost out a replacement unit.

I have a 48hp 1996 evinrude with the same issues. The ram system will soon go on you if it hasn't already once before. I'm on my second ram and cable which broke last year. The power kit as was described above is cheaper then a new ram.

does the add on power tilt/trim unit affect the gap between transom and motor? It looks from the picture that maybe the ram/motor assembly is thicker.

just wondering if it would push a jet too far away from the back of the boat. seems anything more than an inch starts to cause trouble?

(I have a johnson 50 with same problem and yeah for the price of a cable and a cylinder you can buy the power add on)

I had to replace the cable on a 40 horse I had, my issue was that it was difficult to move up or down, the cable was stretched and would not properly open the bypass valve.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast